Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-06-2010, 11:26 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

OHH, so THAT is who that call if from!!!

I thought it was one of the many political calls we have been getting...

One problem I have is that my caller ID does not work when we are on the phone... so sometimes I actually answer the dang call... but I say 'not interested' as I am pushing the button to get back to my real call...

I also was wondering why I was getting so many of these as we are on the do not call list...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2010, 02:53 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

When I answer the phone with an unknown number, I say "hello", and if I don't get an answer within a second or so I hang up. I've never cut off a real call, and never had a callback from whoever it was calling. Their auto dialer calls a bunch of numbers, and if someone answers it connects a sales person. But there's a delay there that gives me time to hang up.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:28 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

When I hear that pause where some system is trying to find an available telemarketer I just put the phone down, then hang up it up later when the connection breaks.

They can sit there hearing me type, watch TV, or read for awhile.
tuixiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:31 AM   #24

And barely on topic, my question for ex-police is when the siren suddenly changes styles (like from a long slow wail to a fast hi/low sound) is the cop doing that manually or does it happen automatic? If he/she is doing it manually why, and isn't that distracting from driving to fiddle with a siren?
Old 02-08-2010, 07:38 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiuxiu View Post
And barely on topic, my question for ex-police is when the siren suddenly changes styles (like from a long slow wail to a fast hi/low sound) is the cop doing that manually or does it happen automatic? If he/she is doing it manually why, and isn't that distracting from driving to fiddle with a siren?
Are you referring to the Doppler effect, where a siren fast approaching you sounds higher pitched and faster while it becomes slower and lower pitched when it's speeding away?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:09 AM   #26

Like this:
Old 02-08-2010, 08:57 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

I have been tempted to try to see how long I can keep these solicitors on the phone before they hang up on me.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:06 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I have been tempted to try to see how long I can keep these solicitors on the phone before they hang up on me.
One interesting way is to answer the phone and just not talk...

Or just put it on speaker and talk to someone in the house like it is not on..
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:08 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Borrow someone's 4 year old. I get my daughter on the phone with these guys, and I guess we starve her for attention, because she loves to talk to them. She would be on there for hours if the solicitor didn't hang up eventually. And so far I have never heard a solicitor get abusive. And seriously, how could you get verbally abusive (on a recorded line) with a sweet, innocent, talkative 4 year old?
Old 02-08-2010, 03:07 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I only make contributions to the police union when they stop me in my car. Oddly, my efforts are not greeted kindly.... <jk>

Years ago was getting calls from a firefighter fundraiser organization. Found that yes, the firefighters got a tiny cut, but since it cost them zero effort they were happy to take the money. OK fine, but it won't be coming from me. $2 in a firefighters boot for the same effect as $20 over the phone? a no brainer.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:17 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yeah THOSE are a bunch of irritating noises! and down the derailing thread; what's up with the new generation flashing lights? Are there no studies showing an increased accident count from blinded drivers trying to avoid the coruscating scintillating nightmare lightshow that sends me to the edge of epileptic seizure? For real, I've pulled over rather than pass a time or two. I don't mind slowing down and moving into the other lane to pass the cop car parked half way into traffic to provide a shield for the cop - but dayum! I'd like to see if there is anything in front of the nightmare light show! That cop safety isn't safe for me.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:47 AM   #32

Quote:
The reason those siren options are available is that some people are "tone deaf" to specific frequencies so they may not hear a siren. I was amazed at how "tuned out" people get when they're inside their cars with the stereo, cell phone, applying makeup, reading, etc. And then they're expected to pay attention to what's going on outside the glass?

So changing the siren (sometimes) would get their attention and they'd move out of the way so I could get to the burglary in progress or whatever.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:47 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
The reason those siren options are available is that some people are "tone deaf" to specific frequencies so they may not hear a siren. I was amazed at how "tuned out" people get when they're inside their cars with the stereo,...
I can blast a pair of car speakers far louder than an ambulance or a police siren, but those flashing lights always get my attention.

First I think it's a sign of impending cranial nerve damage. Then I realize that I have a light bar coming up behind me...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote