Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: When I invest,
it's easy as pie - - I know I'm making money. 19 38.00%
I'm worried beforehand, but feel fine once it's done. 7 14.00%
I feel like someone dropped six tons of lead on me and then kicked me 1 2.00%
I might feel vaguely uneasy, especially in this market, but that's life! 23 46.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Question for other LBYM'ers
Old 01-26-2008, 09:33 AM   #1
Administrator

Question for other LBYM'ers

Do you have a hard time letting go of your hard-earned money, even to invest it?

I am just starting to invest substantial sums in my taxable account. I have found the experience to be exhilarating at first, with a rush of feelings like danger and excitement such as I get on the rare occasion when I have gambled. But also my feelings are similar to having hit myself really hard on the thumb when hammering - - enough to take my breathe away!

I know logically that I have to invest if I am going to beat inflation, but gee. Does it get any easier, or do you just brace yourself and do it anyway?

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2008, 10:27 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

either i leave it in the house or in the market or under the mattress. i don't know what else to do with it. open a business?

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 11:04 AM   #3

Its not a problem for me. Since I know logically I cannot afford to retire if I put it all into fixed income. My money would not last through an extended retirement.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:08 AM   #4
Administrator

You're right. Maybe I just have to get used to this.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 01-26-2008, 12:00 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Do you have a hard time letting go of your hard-earned money, even to invest it?
I know logically that I have to invest if I am going to beat inflation, but gee. Does it get any easier, or do you just brace yourself and do it anyway?
I was pretty tight with a buck the first few years of ER (as I was for the first 40+ years of my life) but I've relaxed over the last couple years because our portfolio growth has greatly outstripped our spending. So as your investments start compounding your emotions may agree with your logic.

Another consolation would be that if you're looking for discounted investments then you're doing so at the right time.

One of the aspects of our ER that gives us the confidence to invest in a high-equity portfolio is... a COLA-adjusted annuity. I bought mine from the U.S. military but Vanguard has competitive prices without that pesky "customer death or disability" issue. An annuity might be worth researching for its sleep-at-night qualities.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Investing Hard Won$
Old 01-26-2008, 12:04 PM   #6

Investing Hard Won$

Quote:
But if you hold onto it so that it doesn't have a chance to grow, where are you with your plan?

I agree with you WTR that some of the sums of money that need to be invested are daunting when you think how long you worked to earn them, but, it needs to work for you now.

-- Rita
Old 01-26-2008, 12:05 PM   #7

I've been invested in various market mutual funds for so long, I'm pretty sanguine about it now. I think the high anxiety will fade with time and experience. Have you not had equity investments in your tax sheltered savings for some time? Does that no longer have the same edgy feel to it?
Old 01-26-2008, 01:36 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Very easy for me. I've trained myself to be jubilant about the market - always. When it is up, my portfolio looks great and I feel smart. When it is down I feel smart because I am accumulating at discounted prices. At 43 I still have time on my side. Hope I can retrain myself - if needed - in the ER phase. Looking forward to the challenge.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:21 PM   #9

It's easy for me, because all my investing is done by automatic withdrawal. Having a significant lump sum to deal with would probably make me a bit more nervous.

Coach
Old 01-26-2008, 02:51 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Now, it's easy as pie.

Twenty years ago I used to worry a bit about "investing at the peak." Since I have been dollar cost averaging through both up and down markets it has not been a problem.

I do have about $50k (down from $80k) in an inherited MM that I've been gradually putting into stocks during market dips (market timing, gasp) rather than putting it in all at once.

MB
Old 01-26-2008, 02:56 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Since I don't want to sleep on a lumpy mattress the money is invested . I lost more in some days than I've made working that year and I still sleep well .
Old 01-26-2008, 03:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc View Post
Very easy for me. I've trained myself to be jubilant about the market - always. When it is up, my portfolio looks great and I feel smart. When it is down I feel smart because I am accumulating at discounted prices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
It's easy for me, because all my investing is done by automatic withdrawal.
Yeah, what they said!

I have things set up on auto-pilot, which helps keeps my emotions from having the ability to control my investing. IOW, I have a plan and I'm stickin' to it!

And like Arc, on the 'up days' I'm happy 'cause I'm making money.....and on the 'down days' I'm happy 'cause I'm buying 'on sale'! So everything's coming up roses!
Old 01-26-2008, 03:24 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Does it get any easier, or do you just brace yourself and do it anyway?
Pass the pie please.

If you believe in efficient markets, are broadly diversified, and have an AA that fits your situation and time horizon it is no more difficult than deciding what movie you want to see tonight.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 03:58 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I lost more in some days than I've made working that year and I still sleep well .

Congratulations Moemg - that is just sweet! For me that could be the definition of FI! Of course there must be those days when the large swings go in the other direction. Perhaps one day I'll get there. In the meantime w*ork, w*ork and more w*ork.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:50 PM   #15
Administrator

What terrific responses. I don't know which one(s) to single out and answer, because they are all gems.

In answer to some of your questions, I do have a plan, and I am following it. And yes, I have invested in my 401K (TSP) before with no fear, but that is automatic and steady investing of much smaller amounts than this lump sum investing, and the government funds don't scare me very much (we're the feds, and we're here to help? LOL). Really, the lump sum was just a small part of my eventual portfolio that I invested pretty conservatively, though it was a huge amount to me since it represents more than I have spent in several years.

I was really encouraged to read the posts by Nords, Arc, and others pointing out that I am probably buying low, since the market is pretty unnerving (to me) right now. You're right - - the prices were low. I just need to be more optimistic and stop worrying so much.

Just reading this thread is already helping me to feel less freaked about spending that money on mutual funds. Thanks.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 01-26-2008, 06:15 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Not sure which category I fit in, but, market gyrations notwithstanding, I was/am always thrilled to be investing/saving. I remember times when the choice was "gallon of gas, or quart of oil"...

You are shittin' in high cotton blessed if you are able to live a nice middle-class or above lifestyle while saving 20-30% or more of your salary...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 08:53 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
yes. we need to set up an auto pilot plan so that monies, like that destined for retirement accounts, requires no regular acknowledgement or divying.