Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Question for the ladies over 40
Old 10-11-2006, 04:22 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Maybe I was just one of those folks who just adapted. I could get off the pill and not concern myself with other supplies. My husband was thrilled when I turned down the heat at home and wore as sweater or not as I wished. At night I would just pull off the covers, then pull them back when it passed. I wore suits at the office so I shed the jacket or sweater as need be.

As the mother of one of my daughter's friends was dying of ovarian cancer at the time - I was thankful for my lot in life.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2006, 04:39 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeofalltrades
I have also found that when I'm in Mexico, where its a hotter climate I really don't notice them, and there are fans all over the place so that helps .
Yeah, no older woman I knew talked of this in Manila, either, where it is always hot. The women probably all blamed it on the darn weather. Not until coming to the US did I hear of hot flashes.

I'm 44 but have not noticed hot flashes yet, so this is info for me for the future, just like the threads on withdrawal (phase of retirement).
flipstress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 04:56 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I wouldn't care about the hot flashes but to go from sleeping thru the night to being awakened 2 sometimes 3 times a night is wreaking havoc on me. I'm tired all the time and it's affecting all aspects of my life. I can deal with sweating but lack of sleep is dangerous and unhealthy.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 04:59 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outtahere
I wouldn't care about the hot flashes but to go from sleeping thru the night to being awakened 2 sometimes 3 times a night is wreaking havoc on me. I'm tired all the time and it's affecting all aspects of my life. I can deal with sweating but lack of sleep is dangerous and unhealthy.
Yep, I agree here. My hot flashes come in clusters. I'll have up to 30 a day for days at a time, then nothing. The other lovely symptoms of the road to menopause is the inexplicable anxiety and waking up with my heart pounding away...

Old 10-11-2006, 06:01 PM   #45

I'm lucky, I get a couple during the day and 2 to 3 at night, usually at the same time (I know cuz I look at the clock to see how much sleep I'm going to get). I've had anxiety attacks since I was in my 30's so those don't bother me as much. I just hate that wierd creepy feeling that comes just before the hotflash, I can feel the change in my body, a strange feeling that starts in my legs and works up to my head.

Old 10-11-2006, 06:19 PM   #46

How about: CHIN HAIRS! eeeewwwwwwwwwwww!!!

Old 10-11-2006, 06:36 PM   #47

LMAO!!!!! I haven't gotten them yet but I'm sure they are lurking.

Old 10-11-2006, 06:48 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_rat
You're just trying to drive me away with that talk, but I've seen the inside of a submarine septic system and you can't scare me anymore...

However I don't think I'll be checking this thread any further. So you've succeeded!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 07:01 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

I mostly ignore them. I decided that having hot flashes every day was better than having drugs that may or may not (hmmph) cause cancer. I carry an old fashioned manual fan (like the victorians used), sleep under a ceiling fan, drink lots of ice water. Mostly my flashes only last for a minute or two, so I just ignore them, miserable as they are. I'm more than 10 years into menopause and they have gotten better.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:07 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Chinhairs? I've been growing them since giving birth to my first kid. I figure if I had had the guts to let them grow, I'd have a super Fu Manchu by now.

Menopause--I started perimenopause at about age 42. "The Red Flag" was lowered for the last time when I was 46, two years ago. I don't know what is typical in my family, because my mom, her mom and both my sisters had hysterectomies at early ages (one of my sisters had hers in her 20's). Judging by my friends, I am way early. I have a friend who is in her mid-50s and she is longing to go through menopause, but she hasn't even started yet.

My former doctor told me that early menopause is evidence that the body is "wearing out early." My current doctor has more sense than to bring up crap like that to a menopausal woman. I am going to retire early just in case ...

I don't get hot flashes, more like humid flashes. They are still annoying. My husband and I have separate blankets and sheets, so if I want to throw off the covers in the middle of the night, hub is undisturbed. It looks untidy but works well.
LRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 08:48 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

drink a lot of water, always wear layers so you can dress/undress as needed and have a sense of humor. They really are not hot flashes, but rather power surges.

They signal a great time in a woman's life, a transition from caretaker/mom to an independent person. Seize the opportunity to become in touch with your body. Start focusing on taking care of yourself, eating right, exercising and aging gracefully.
shorttimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 05:48 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorttimer

They signal a great time in a woman's life, a transition from caretaker/mom to an independent person. Seize the opportunity to become in touch with your body. Start focusing on taking care of yourself, eating right, exercising and aging gracefully.
A great time? yea it's a freaking joy to be this misrable. Age gracefully? ROFLMAO!!! Yea right, don't tell the cosmetic companies or the plastic surgeons of the world this.

Old 10-12-2006, 11:06 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_rat
Yay. We finally chased Nords out of here. If you're lurking, go away NOW!

I've had chin hairs all my life, but they are turning into a major beard now. BLECH!

It takes 20 minutes of plucking every morning. Has anyone tried electrolosis for these??
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:25 AM   #54

I'm figuring by the time I start getting them they'll have the laser hair removal down to a science and I'll go that route.

Old 10-12-2006, 11:30 AM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

I am starting to get the chin hair thing too. A friend of my did the electrolysis. She was so happy with it, that she had her legs done too. Ouch! I am not at that point.

My big thing is the mood swing stuff. Sometimes I don't know whether it is "me" or the hormones.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:37 AM   #56

I am just naturally a wonderful, sweet, kind, loving and caring person, so I always know that if anything unkind or hurtful comes out of my mouth, it MUST be hormones.

Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:53 AM   #57

I don't have chin hairs yet, but I know they are coming, so I've put a special fund aside for beauty treatments in retirement!

I do know a thing or two about laser hair removal (different from electrolysis, but the same concept). I've had several areas zapped and it has worked well. A little pain, but no scars, etc.

It works best on dark hairs, so don't wait until they go grey! Also, if you want to get it done quit plucking! The root needs to be 6 weeks old - so trim for six weeks then go get them zapped. It will take about 4-5 sessions (6 weeks apart) depending on the number of hairs and their growth cycles.

Money well spent I must say!
Old 10-12-2006, 11:58 AM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

So who does the laser stuff? Medical people or "beauty shop" people?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 12:03 PM   #59

Medical people - I've had an RN do mine. I think they call themselves "medispas". Different states have different rules on the medical v. non-medical. If I was having my face done I'd definitely go with the medical person.

Just a side note about the RN, she was working crazy long hours at the hospital then joined a fellow RN in her medispa business and now works part time making the same amount of money and not dealing with blood and guts, I think that was a great transition.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:41 PM   #60

Ladies............since I may be banned in the near future for my oh so innocent post, can I hide out here for a couple of days?

Pretty please?