Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-06-2010, 05:35 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Khan...you might want to check out Christopher and Banks at the mall. The saleswomen are very helpful and will assist in putting together outfits. They will also check on you in the dressing room to see if you need another size or want some more clothes. This is the advantage of a small store, and I think the prices are very good with lots of things on sale or buy one and get the second half off. They generally have all sizes, too, and they carry petites. And the clothing is arranged so as to make up an outfit that coordinates. They hve a limited selection of scarves and jewelry. For shoes, one has to go elsewhere, though.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2010, 07:59 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

You sound like my sister, who also hates shopping. She lost a lot of weight and had to buy clothes including the dreaded work clothes.

Her solution? Her stepdaughter went to the store with her, bought huge pile of clothes in multiple sizes, brought them home to try on, and then returned what she didn't like or didn't fit.

Me, I shop online. You might have to return some stuff but you can avoid the shopping experience. Jeans and black pants are good suggestions.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:18 AM   #23

Bra recommendation--Target. Look for the new Assets line by Sara Blakely, the lady who invented Spanx. They are awesome and the best fitting bra for ordinary sized girls I've ever seen.
Also, ditto on the Lucky Jeans--they fit me better than any other jeans I've ever owned. Places like Steinmart, TJMaxx, and Marshall's usually have them for around $30-$40, versus the $100+ you pay at the Lucky store.
I like Eddie Bauer for pants, too. I go shopping 1x a year and take a very clothing-savvy girlfriend with me.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:08 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My favorite outfits when you need something more than jeans are the JJill wearever collection . They are stretchy knits that you mix and match . I usually wait for a sale to purchase them . They are comfortable & pack great . All you need to do is add some colorful jewelry .Most would say these clothes are not LBYM but considering the amount of wear I get out of them I think they are a great deal.Plus I always feel great wearing them.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:55 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Comfortable jeans, white t-shirt and black blazer......throw a silky scarf around your neck if you like......and you are good to go anywhere/anytime.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:38 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I go shopping 1x a year and take a very clothing-savvy girlfriend with me.
This was going to be my suggestion. If you have a friend, associate, neighbor, former coworker, etc. that can go with you and help, it would be useful. As a guy, I rarely go clothes shopping without my wife, because I am fashion impaired. She's honest enough to say "that looks ridiculous and there is no way in hell you are wearing that near me", so she helps me weed out stuff that doesn't look great. Clearly an honest person is more helpful than someone who would merely parrot "you look great in that outfit" to everything.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:00 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm the same age and hate to shop for clothes, always have. I found the Bandolindblu jeans at Sam's Club recently and love them. They have the stretch in them, fit well and aren't expensive. I also agree about Kohl's. The prices are great and the clothes wear and last well. Good luck!!
Old 12-06-2010, 12:28 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I recommend avoiding Victoria Secret if you have something to really "put into a bra" - they have also gone to vanity sizing - and unless you have little ones needing padding, pushing, oompfing, etc. avoid VS - or it will be a stressfull trip.

I heard about Lucky jeans on the radio this morning, and read here about them as well. Researching them online now....

Wishing you the best Khan with your shopping adventures today!
Old 12-06-2010, 12:34 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

This may be a bit late but I found that Docker's Women's fit me well. I am a bit heavier (and a LOT older) than you so a 16W might be too generious. Docker's online often has sales &/or free shipping, and you can return via UPS for free if they don't work out for you.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:45 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

If you go to Sears, look at the Land End area (Sears bought them), nice quality stuff that lasts forever.

Kohl's has better quality stuff than Target, IMHO. I also WOULD make a trip to TJ Maxx of they have one near you....sometimes you can "steal" clothes there.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:44 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
As a guy, I rarely go clothes shopping without my wife, because I am fashion impaired.
If this is going to be opened up to men's clothes buying strategies I have 2-for day to day I buy at the Army-Navy surplus store.

If I want something to look snappier, I first go to Ross.

If I strike out there I go to Macy's or Banana Republic or Old Navy or almost any other downtown store, and if I don't see just what I want, or if I can't make up my mind about a color or style, I put it on and ask a stylish young woman clerk or a gay man what s/he thinks. I wore a shirt that a gay guy picked out for me to my son's wedding reception. 3 years later I introduced myself to a young woman at a party as his house. She said, "Oh I know you, you wore that beautiful blue shirt to X&Y's reception." I guarantee nothing that I find on my own is likely to be remembered 3 years later!

Same with gifts for my granddaughter or SILs or other women- I pick something and then ask a stylish younger woman her opinion. I do not ignore what she says. For the kid stuff I will usually pick a woman old enough to be a Mom herself, as today these little girls are about as trendy as teenagers are.

Ha
Old 12-06-2010, 02:06 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
If this is going to be opened up to men's clothes buying strategies I have 2-for day to day I buy at the Army-navy surplus store.

If I want something to look snappier, I first go to Ross.
This weekend I found myself wearing drab green shorts and shirt. Twice. Keep me away from the Army/Navy surplus... This was just around the house and out clearing a hillside, so nobody except the neighbors saw me.

I second the Ross suggestion - good stuff and at least at one of the ones near me, I think it is the remaindered merchandise from the Saks and Neiman Marcus and other department stores at the mall 1000 ft away. Mostly name brand labels, but usually 60-80% off. DW shops there as well. I think it is like TJ Maxx.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:59 PM   #33

So Khan....how'd it go? What (if ANYTHING) did you decide on?
Old 12-07-2010, 06:06 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Blue jeans, black jeans, black slacks, leggings, bras, undies, moccasins, black flats, turtlenecks, socks, v-neck long sleeve something or other, electric toothbrush, backup reading glasses.

Tomorrow I buy gas and hit the ATM.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:46 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Here is the Lands End Overstock link for some pre-shopping clothing ideas. I sorted it by Lowest Price to Highest, so you may have to flip through a few pages to see tops/bottoms.
Overstock, Closeout Clothing at Lands' End

Have fun!
Old 12-07-2010, 06:58 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Blue jeans, black jeans, black slacks, leggings, bras, undies, moccasins, black flats, turtlenecks, socks, v-neck long sleeve something or other, electric toothbrush, backup reading glasses.

Wow ! I am so impressed ! You did great !
Old 12-07-2010, 07:10 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

You go girl! You're on a roll!
Old 12-07-2010, 08:44 PM   #38

Quote:

Wow, that is what I call a productive shopping day! And hopefully it means you won't have to do it again anytime soon.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:29 AM   #39

Quote:

I can only assume that you bought ALL of this stuff for you ~ although, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if you were actually buying it for those less fortunate others this time of year!

Congrats on your shopping spree success! ~ I KNOW that it doesn't come easily to you! (as well as others of us)

Thanks for sharing!
Old 12-08-2010, 08:59 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Way to go, Khan--you have a classic new wardrobe that fits you and won't go out of style, and you are going to look very cute for your visit to your friend. I like the shoe choices, too.