Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Question on Insurance Settlement
Old 01-19-2006, 01:04 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Update:

The adjuster called today and offered $8000.00 plus $1000.00 to cover the medical and misc expenses... I accepted.

Thanks again for all comments.

Gonzo
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2006, 01:53 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Congratulations Gonzo. I think you did very well.

Old 01-19-2006, 02:21 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo
Update:

The adjuster called today and offered $8000.00 plus $1000.00 to cover the medical and misc expenses... I accepted.

Thanks again for all comments.

Gonzo
nice!
TomSimpsonAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 04:01 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

That's great Gonzo. Nice increase from the initial offer.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 05:35 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A slight threadjack, if I may:

I was rear-ended a week and a half ago. I thought I was okay, but the stiffness has lasted longer than I expected. Yesterday I was ready to go to the doctor, but oddly enough after quitting ibuprofen I'm feeling much better today. A couple of people have told me I should go see a doctor, but besides some faint achiness/stiffness I don't have pain, so I'm not sure what a doctor would do.

It's good to hear you don't have to settle right away. I may just wait a couple of months or more to make sure nothing lingers. I was going to sign the waiver for a carrot if things were fine after a couple of days, but now I'm more interested in leaving the claim open in case I don't fully heal.

My biggest worry is my back. What's the best way to get that checked out? Doctor? Chiropractor?
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 05:45 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Insurance claims folks think Chiropractors are a crock.

What might meet your needs and keep the claims folks happy is to see your doc and get a referral to PT for extended treatment. Many a PT can treat neck strains as effectively as a Chiropractor.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:17 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

This could quickly turn into another reciprocated diatribe, but at least in the US insurance folks havent considered chiropractors a 'crock'. Chiropractor visits are now covered by many, if not most, insurance packages.

My ex girlfriend of 10 years had an accident like BMJ's. Every "real" doctor worked on her, mostly prescribing pain relievers. After her first visit to a chiropractor, she felt 100% better and has sworn by them since. Myself, i've never gone to one. Saw the difference in her life though.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 08:25 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I don't think Chiropractors are a crock, I had an apointment with mine this am, she has worked wonders for my husband.* Claims adjusters have an issue, however.*

My concern is that Jim receive appropriate treatment and that he have credability should he have a long lasting condition as a result of the accident.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:26 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

The problem insurance adjusters have with chiropractors is the relationship some chiropractors have with personal injury lawyers.

In some states it is common practice for sleazy aggressive PI lawyers to obtain clients by reviewing police accident reports (public records), contacting anyone involved in the accident with an offer to represent them. Once the client signs on, the PI refers them to a specific chiropractor who (always) finds a problem, and treats the individual for 90 days, the maximum the insurance company will normally pay for. Then the chiropractor says "nothing else I can do for you"...unless the client wants to pay out of their own pocket.

This scam relationship between the PI and chiropractor is known to the insurance adjuster because they see virtually every client of PI "x" treated by chiropractor "y". This is certainly questionable from an ethical standpoint, but isn't illegal unless they catch the chiropractor giving a kickback to the PI for each client referred to them, which has happened on several occasions.

This is why insurance adjusters cringe when you tell them you are being treated by a chiropractor.

No, not all chiropractors are bad. Just as there are bad (and good) used-car salesmen and financial advisors, there are bad (and good) chiropractors.

Old 01-20-2006, 08:56 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

BMJ

I would not sign off until you feel 100%... in* fact the adjuster did not want to make an offer until I told him I was back to 100%.

Gonzo
Old 01-20-2006, 09:41 AM   #31
Dryer sheet aficionado

As a phsician I saw a thousand initial injurgies. I usually told them to call the arjuster, tell them honestly what is wrong, that you just want to be well, car and medical paid and paid for your time and suffering if any. Tell them you do not want to have to get a lawyer (which automatically drags it on 6 months) but you expect prompt and good service to put it all behind. Never tell them you are OK, never sign anything that allows them to get your records.

When you are OK and your doctor agrees at that settle fairly. If you get a lousy adjuster, then get a lawyer but I would expect generally no additional money in the end and much more time and effort. When companies are grossly unfair, then an attorney can be of a great service.

Sailaway
sailaway is offline   Reply With Quote