Join Early Retirement Today

Question re: reading the paper on a tablet w/o wi-fi
Old 01-13-2013, 09:13 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Question re: reading the paper on a tablet w/o wi-fi

If you use a tablet with wi-fi to read newspapers and periodicals, and you know you are going to be stuck in a place that doesn't have wi-fi, can you download the paper/magazine beforehand, and read it in standalone mode?

(Ordinarily I would ask the paper's customer service about the modes of digital delivery, but our experience with newspaper customer service has been shaky - they don't seem well informed).

Thanks,

Amethyst

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2013, 09:26 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Probably depends on the publisher, some have PDF downloads. You could click through each page save it as a file ( html ) but that could get old with large number of pages.

Well what do you know, I just googled this...

and for android

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....offline&hl=en

Old 01-13-2013, 10:51 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I read the Wall St. Journal six mornings a week on my iPad. The whole paper is downloaded while I sleep, and when I get up it's right there for me to read with my morning coffee.

I discontinued my print subscription a few months ago because I actually like the reading experience better on the iPad.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:00 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I subscribe to Macleans magazine, which notifies me by email when a new issue is ready for downloading. Once downloaded, I can read it anywhere. I too prefer the electronic version.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:06 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Just another thought. I also have come to prefer reading books on my iPad. I buy the Kindle editions from Amazon and use the Kindle app, or the iBooks app from Apple, or either of a couple of other apps for books checked out from local public library systems. They are all very easy to use and most of the time preferable to paper books.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:15 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
Probably depends on the publisher, some have PDF downloads. You could click through each page save it as a file ( html ) but that could get old with large number of pages.

Well what do you know, I just googled this...

and for android

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....offline&hl=en
Thanks for the tip! unfortunately this app is no longer free. It costs $4.99 for the regular and $9.99 for the pro version. There is a free app called offline reader, but you have to type in the URL; it won't accept paste. The offline pages app (the one in the video) is far superior.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:19 AM   #7

In addition to the app in video, check out instapaper, readability, and pocket.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:29 PM   #8

I use my reading list to save later-reading articles. I also have the home pages of blogs I read in my reading list.

Tags
internet, newspaper, periodical, tablet, wi-fi