Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Questions about buying a second house
Old 08-11-2009, 09:50 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Questions about buying a second house

For about a year or so I've been thinking about converting my current house into a rental property and buying a new house. I don't plan on making the move unless I find the ideal opportunity. A few questions I have are:

When I apply for a new mortgage will the banks treat the new mortgage as a primary home mortgage or a second home mortgage?

Will they require at least 20% for a down payment?

I'm only planning on renting my home if I can get a positive cash flow of ~$300/mo or if it increases my equity ~$500/month. Would you suggest more or would you be willing to settle for less?

What's a good way to check comparables? I've browsed craigslist but I'm wondering about other ways too.

What are the tax implications when you rent? The net profit each year goes to your income tax, and there's capital gains when you sell if you haven't lived in the house for at least 2 of the last 5 years, correct?
bank5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2009, 12:07 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
1. When I apply for a new mortgage will the banks treat the new mortgage as a primary home mortgage or a second home mortgage?

2. Will they require at least 20% for a down payment?

3. I'm only planning on renting my home if I can get a positive cash flow of ~$300/mo or if it increases my equity ~$500/month. Would you suggest more or would you be willing to settle for less?

4. What's a good way to check comparables? I've browsed craigslist but I'm wondering about other ways too.

5. What are the tax implications when you rent? The net profit each year goes to your income tax, and there's capital gains when you sell if you haven't lived in the house for at least 2 of the last 5 years, correct?
I'll take a crack at it.

1. Depends on whether you will live in the new home. The bank has ways to verify if you actually moved in, so you do need to make up your mind about this.

2. Depends. You should speak with a loan officer, since the situation changes frequently. If you are treating the new home as your primary residence, and are counting on rent to cover the mortgage of your current home, you will need to provide a signed lease from a renter showing that income is indeed coming.

3. No opinion. When I rented out my house I only wanted to break even. It depends on your goals.

4. Real Estate, Homes for Sale & Real Estate Values - Zillow, Real Estate Listings, Homes for Sale and Rental Property Listings – REALTOR.com®, or the websites of prominent real estate companies in your area.

5. The rent you collect, minus any operating expenses, is taxable. There is also depreciation you can harvest, but the IRS wants it back when you sell. You also have to pay capital gains tax. I think they changed the 2 out of 5 year rule effective this year. You should check what the new rule is.
GoodSense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:48 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ent-43700.html

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 04:57 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Right now the rental market is depressed. You'd think with foreclosures it would be hot, but there's a growing trend to room-mate with others or move in with family (parents!). Apartment occupency rates are down, and that's putting downward pressure on the home rental market (obviously it depends on where you live). Have you looked at rental prices of similar homes in the area using one of those free rental magazines you see at grocery store entrances? I suggest getting them for at least a couple of months to see if the homes are remaining vacant or not.
missionfinder is offline   Reply With Quote