Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Quick help needed: HDTV purchase!
Old 03-30-2008, 04:02 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quick help needed: HDTV purchase!

I need this advice quickly, please:
Our big tv blew; and I did my homework with Consumer Reports, then went to Best Buy and saw a Sony Bravia 40" model KDLV40V250 that the noncommisioned salesgal suggested at $1,499.99. Looks good, but having some problem pulling up expert opinions on it. Anyone know this model of HDTV?
Can someone suggest a really great website for studying these HDTV's, so I can rest at night knowing I made the right choice?
I have to buy this tomorrow (Monday) or the next day as my old, feeble 89 y.o. mother has nothing much to do. She keeps reading the same library book over and over to keep occupied right now. Help!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2008, 04:17 PM   #2

Vanns.com, bought a bunch of stuff form them and never a problem. They don't try to sell you anything extra and great prices.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 04:18 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Here are some reviews for that TV on amazon:

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sony KDL-40V2500 40" Bravia V-Series 1080p LCD HDTV
tgotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 04:23 PM   #4

Does anyone know how to read the Sony model codes as in KDLV40V250?
One of these letters or numbers will signify if it is a later model, but don't know which one.
Appreciate the help so far. Vann's I tried, and how did you find that Sony tv on Amazon? I must have been going too fast as I missed it. Thanks!!!!
Old 03-30-2008, 05:45 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Orchidflower;635869]I have to buy this tomorrow (Monday) or the next day .

No you don't. Take a deep breath, put a smaller TV on top of the bad one for a temp. fix, and research this so you don't make a decision you regret later.I went from a 35in to a 42in to a 50 incher. These new HD TV's seem to be better if you get bigger than you are used to.
Dave J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 06:45 PM   #6

I'm no expert or aficionado but I drool when I see the Sony Bravia's display. We bought a Vizio last summer and it has served us well but I waaaaaaaant a Bravia!
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 06:51 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

definitely take your time and do your homework. There are lots of choices out there. You have to decide....plasma or lcd.....how large of a tv......720p or 1080i or 1080p.

Some things I've discovered.....

1- everyone looks at the 720p or 1080i or 1080p issue, but really contrast ratio is even more important

2- Don't buy your tv over the internet. It simply isn't worth the extra dollars saved. The problem with these outfits is that you can't take it back if you have a problem. The only warranty at these places is the manufacturers warranty, and some of these manufacturers warranties aren't even any good if you buy it from a nonlicensed dealer (I learned this the hard way).
novaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 06:59 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have a 40 inch Bravia 720dpi.......love it!!

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 07:25 PM   #9

We purchased the 61" Sanyo, rear projection. Sanyo has several model rear projections. This one uses LED instead of projector bulbs. Life exp. is 20,000 instead of 5,000 hours. If you are not looking to hang it on the wall I highly recommend the LED rear projections. They come in three sizes. We paid $1,900 from Amazon. I think it included delivery, but really don't remember.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 07:39 PM   #10
gone traveling

40 inch TV, wow, I have a HDTV ready tuner in my 27 inch magnavox that I got last year for 209 dollars!! Works just fine! Picture is well fine, quite frankly I never could understand what people are looking at when they say the picture is so much better!! I fall asleep while watching everything anyway!
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:47 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

If you're looking for a comparison of screen size to your old TV, here's a web site that will help you compute it:

Compute TV dimensions

I went from an old 31 inch tv to a 42 inch LG brand LCD TV (1080P, 10,000 to 1 contrast ratio) and it's about 2 inches taller but 12 inches wider. I originally wanted a plasma TV but opted for the LCD technology mostly so that I didn't have to worry about the burn-in issue that some plasmas have. Anyway, so far I love the LG TV that I bought....have had it about a month now. From what I've heard, the Sony Bravias are very good TV's...I can't imagine going wrong with one of those. The main reason I went with LG is that the model I bought was on closeout and I got a fantastic deal on it ($997).
DallasGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888 View Post
40 inch TV, wow, I have a HDTV ready tuner in my 27 inch magnavox that I got last year for 209 dollars!! Works just fine! Picture is well fine, quite frankly I never could understand what people are looking at when they say the picture is so much better!! I fall asleep while watching everything anyway!

i dont think your $209 tv is showing you HD pictures...thats why you are falling asleep!
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:39 AM   #13

I was deciding between the predecessor to that Sony Bravia 40" and the Samsung. I went with the Samsung 4065f because it had a better contrast ratio when I looked at them side by side, and I like the glossy screen that rejects ambient light from the side. It might have had more HDMI ports (3) IIRC. But that was last year and there are probably newer models now so do your own research.

Here's the link to what I bought. Amazon had the best price at the time on Samsungs:
Amazon.com: Samsung LNT4065F 40-inch 1080p LCD HDTV: Electronics
free4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 05:32 AM   #14

Just purchased a 32 Inch Sharp (LC-32GP3U-B) from pcVideoOnline.com. List price (at Sharp was $1,499). I purchased it for $1,140.45, including delivery, it arrived in about 5 days as I did not opt for quicker delivery. Came via UPS and has been working just fine since arrival. For something this costly I would purchase on-line as the savings can be very significant, price-wise as well as sales tax wise and the manufacturers warranty is the same either way.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:56 AM   #15

Thank you for all the help, folks! Much, much appreciated.
I did read all the reviews I could that tgotch sent above from Amazon. Seems like too many that purchased from Amazon report cloudiness in the screen if they have a complaint at all--which most didn't--on the Sony Bravia 40" that I was looking at at Best Buy. I am wondering if that tv is sensitive to bumps, and shipping it via Amazon's shippers did something?
Looks like many of you buy online. I am investigating that possibility today, but the above question remains.
Or are these new HDTV's THAT sensitive to any kind of bump? That makes me nervous as I will HAVE to send it by movers when I leave here and am thru eldercaring my parent. Hmmm....
DallasGuy, by the way, I did ask about the LG's--having never heard of them before--and the experienced salesgal said they were good tv's. FYI.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:23 AM   #16

They all get "bumped"-going on the ship, coming off the ship, getting on the train, getting off the train, on the trailer to the store (or in the FED EX or UPS Truck). I would not worry about that much - if damaged the warranty will cover you. Most of the large TV's come with "in home" service (you need to read the warranties (usually available at the respective web-site)). I have not looked a SONY lately but they used to have only 90 warranties on electronics. Sharp (I did look at theirs, is for 12 months).
Old 03-31-2008, 06:32 AM   #17

I think I saw a year warranty listed when I looked at Best Buy, but I surely will keep that one in mind.
The clouding issue on the Sony Bravia on "some" of the tvs does have me concerned, but that was from the people who bought on Amazon according to the above post with link that I looked at. The vast majority of reviews were raving about the wonderfulness of the Sony Bravia (like 191 good to something like 21 bad reviews..not a bad ratio).
Old 03-31-2008, 06:46 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaman View Post
definitely take your time and do your homework. There are lots of choices out there. You have to decide....plasma or lcd.....how large of a tv......720p or 1080i or 1080p.

Some things I've discovered.....

1- everyone looks at the 720p or 1080i or 1080p issue, but really contrast ratio is even more important

2- Don't buy your tv over the internet. It simply isn't worth the extra dollars saved. The problem with these outfits is that you can't take it back if you have a problem. The only warranty at these places is the manufacturers warranty, and some of these manufacturers warranties aren't even any good if you buy it from a nonlicensed dealer (I learned this the hard way).
What do you look for in contrast ratio?
tgotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 07:22 AM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

We purchased a Bravia KDL46V3000 just before Christmas @ ~ C$1850.

We are extremely pleased and have no regrets.

If you can go with 46" I would suggest you do. Bigger is better. And make sure you have 1080p.

Keep in mind the V2500 is an older model. Our V3000 is now eclipsed by the W3000 and all aren't as good as the latest XBR Bravias.

My suggestion then would not be the 40" V2500 but either a V3000 or W3000 46" model.

We have become addicted to HD programming and view it almost exclusively.
Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:05 AM   #20

Orchid,
All HD TVs are not created the same. There are essentially four types: projector, rear projection, LCD, Plasma. Each have + and - s.

Projector, really big picture, somewhat noise, for me not practical for regular TV.

Rear Projection cheaper than LCD and Plasma, bigger cabinet, some concern with bulb life, more susceptible to 'bumps'.

Plasma generally brighter, thin, big format available, they can get very expensive

LCD - Flat like Plasma, both hang on wall if that is what you want. Not as black as other tvs. Generally not available in very large format i.e. above 60"

720 vs 1080p - if you are going to set more than 6' (I think that is the distance) from the set, than it does not make much difference. (according to post on the INTERNET)

HD vs Digital - Some people think they can convert their regular tv to HD by connecting a box. While I have not researched this, I think what they are doing is converting their analog TV to accept a digital picture. Just because it is a digital picture does not mean it is HD. All Satellite TV is digital. Not all Satellite TV is HD.

Most of this information is available on the net. If you are looking for a big screen i.e. larger than 50" I would go with Samsung LED rear projection. 50" or less I would look at Plasma. Sony, Panasonic, Samsung, Pioneer, all good names.

A side note. If you are using Satellite or Cable, I would take my controller to the store and see if it can be configured with your new TV. It is a real pain to have to use multiple controllers. I got a Sony RM VL 600 to solve that problem. $30/Amazon. It controls the TV, Surround, DVD, VCR, Satellite and the dog! OK, not the dog.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote