Join Early Retirement Today
Re: Quick Meal Ideas
Old 06-25-2006, 06:57 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The thought comes to mind -

Being on a sub with a bad chef vs being married to woman who can't cook - there is/are some humor there somewhere - maybe?

Step daughter in spare room announced yesterday - no cooking after a rough day putting up pictures and shelves on* perfectly pristine redone rooms.

So I got to eat free peanuts while waiting for take out - Flatiron steak/baked potato/house salad and a grilled BBQ chicken/fettichini combo.

Sorta quick - for Saturday night - 10 minute drive at each end.

heh heh heh - remodeling is hopefully done inside - except for those stinking accessories - now on to the yard/patio/garden.
Basement is for winter - I hope. How about some hot weather quick meals - besides three bean.

unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2006, 07:04 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Some modifications on CFB's pepper steak:

Traders Joe's course ground pepper (the perfect size for this dish).
Ground Salt (again size matters!)

Salt and pepper only seconds before cooking.

Very little butter in a very hot teflon pan. *(maybe carcinogenic? - got to read up on teflon)

3 teaspoons Dijon mustard mixed with 1/2 cup half and half .

Random Reinforcement is Highly Addictive.
riskadverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 11:04 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Going out to eat, getting take-out/delivery, and nuking a frozen dinner are all just forms of outsourcing. Efficiency!
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 01:07 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Three-bean salad by itself is probably quite tasty.* What I object to is all the memory associations it dredges up.* For me it's as much a smell of the submarine force as amine, diesel fuel, and a few other select odors.

Originally Posted by saluki9
So Nords, those rumors about the food being pretty good in the Navy isn't true?
I had always heard that on top of that, subs had the best food in the Navy
Depends on what part of the Navy you're in.* Subs were (and probably still are) way ahead of the aviators & surface fleets, although no one begrudged the SEALs the food they ate between deployments.

We used to joke that we went out with 90 days of food & movies, and that the food wasn't really the limiting factor.* Submariners substitute food for entertainment, especially when you can eat a meal every six hours and lose track of whether it's day or night. You might eat peanut butter & crackers on day 105 but no one ever suggested loading out MREs. I had a Supply Officer tell the CO that we couldn't get underway for an emergency ASW mission because the ice cream machine was up at the shipyard for repairs. He was deadly serious, too.

But it depends on what you like.* The menu panders to popular demand, and most of the Navy is between the ages of 18-25 with a metabolism to match.* FFV (fresh fruits & veggies) really should only last a couple weeks.* I've seen apples go longer under proper storage.* Six-week lettuce is mostly the center of the iceberg, which probably requires more calories to consume than it contributes.* Eggs past eight weeks are not such a good idea.* Frozen or dried foods are usually loaded with fat & salt for more "taste".* In the '80s & '90s the diet tended to be heavy on meat (admittedly prime cuts) & potatoes, although today's diet might be better.* Veggies were canned instead of frozen (easier to store) so probably less healthy... even before adding all the butter & sauces.* Even chicken was less frequent than beef, and ironically we rarely saw fish.* I think that has something to do with freezer storage, although I still can't believe that I saw Korean War beef in 1986.

The other side of the menu is that labor is cheaper & easier than convenience foods.* Fresh-baked bread every day-- and rolls, pastries, cookies, cakes, & pies.* (The midwatch smell wafting from the galley up to the control room would drive you crazy!)* Fresh doughnuts, bearclaws, and/or biscuits every morning.* Fresh pizza every Friday from scratch (well, canned tomato sauce but fresh cheese).* Milkshake mix in the ice cream machine (although today it's probably low-fat frozen yogurt).* Whole milk from powder (for some reason it tastes better than powdered skim milk).* As long as the food was good you could take away just about every God-given right from a submariner and dribble them back out as "privileges".

I regularly gained 20 pounds on sea duty (I'm 5'10") and spent all of shore duty losing 10-15 of it.* In the 18 months after I retired and started tae kwon do I lost 30 pounds and gained a sizeable chunk of muscle.* I don't miss that part of the life one bit...

The book written on, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 02:13 AM   #45

I shouldn't have called it "bean salad"! That was infelicitous. I also cringe at the memory/smell of the flaccid canned stringbeans, especially those yellow waxy ones.

The marketing department here has re-named the above recipe "Fresh Pepper and Sweet Corn Salad with Black Beans and Red Onion/Cilantro Garni"

Nords, I always heard that an army travels on its stomach and I guess that goes double for submariners.. I would never have imagined the fresh-baked bread for some reason! Nor the lack of fish.. Interesting!

More tips (edited & enhanced) from another thread (

Another trick for boneless chicken breasts: slice them horizontally in three 1/4"-1/8"* slices. They will cook in 1/3 the time and won't be unevenly cooked.* Use the flat of your hand to bear down and keep the chicken from sliding around while using a big sharp knife. Do a bunch of these and freeze them when they are on sale. Before freezing wrap individual meal-size portions, with freezer paper or plastic wrap between the slices for quick extraction and defrosting (you don't want to end up with a 3 lb. block of chicken breasts).

A chicken marsala takes about 5 minutes cooking time (heat butter in pan on high, salt & pepper chicken, dredge in flour, saute, when a bit golden brown on both sides throw in a few tablespoons of Marsala and voila'!). The entire dinner 10' including boiling up some frozen string beans.. maybe 15' with prep/cleanup.

You can do a similar "scallopine" thing with either chicken or thinly sliced veal: same procedure as above except instead of adding Marsala at the end, add a small amount of lemon juice and some capers. The bit of liquid at the end in either case mixes with some of the flour and butter left in the pan and gives you a little sauce. When the slices are cooked you remove them onto the serving plates; it's easier then to whisk in your liquid and the sauce is ready to pour over your meat in just a minute or so.

Another quickie is to take the c. breast slices, put in a greased oven pan, throw a slice of cheese and/or ham/prosciutto on top, bake in the toaster oven for 15 minutes. I like these with spinach on the side which I can boil up while the chicken is in the oven. It doesn't take any longer than going out for Chinese and costs a lot less.

Yesterday it was about 90° so our quick evening meal was smoked salmon, tuna and swordfish with cream cheese/tomato/red onion/capers on random bread and crackers.
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 04:09 PM   #46

Well I just winged for dinner and it came out superb so here tis about 10-15 minutes to fix.

Cut "washed" 1/2 of a chicken breast into big 3/4 inch pieces, sprinkle with Mrs.Dashes Garlic and Herb seasoning put in skillet with small amount of olive oil. Cook just till not pink.

Added, Progresso low salt chicken stock and handful of chopped bok choy, simmer.

Absolutely delicious, big chunky bowl of soup. Small piece of baguette on side. Tha's got me thru till morning.
OldAgePensioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 05:22 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Just got this one via e-mail from a friend.....haven't tested it yet, but think I'll try.....The described instructions are for a group effort:

(This works great !!! The best part is that no one has to wait for their special omelet !!!)

Have guests write their name on a quart-size Ziploc freezer bag with permanent marker, but only if their ingredients are different ( onions)

Crack 2 eggs (large or extra-large) into the bag (not more than 2) shake to combine them.

Put out a variety of ingredients such as: cheeses, ham, onion, green pepper, tomato, hash browns, salsa, etc.

Each guest adds prepared ingredients of choice to their bag and shake. Make sure to get the air out of the bag and zip it up.

Place the bags into rolling, boiling water for exactly 13 minutes.
You can usually cook 6-8 omelets in a large pot. For more, make another pot of boiling water. Cover while cooking & you can decrease time.

Open the bags and the omelet will roll out easily. Be prepared for everyone to be amazed. Nice to serve with fresh fruit and coffee cake; everyone gets involved in the process and a great conversation piece.

Imagine having these ready the night before, and putting the bag in boiling water while you get ready. And in 13 minutes, you got a nice omlette for a quick breakfast!!!

I used tomatoes, ham, green onions, cheddar cheese and mushrooms in this one! MMMMMMMM . . .MMMMMMM good!!!

The best things in life aren't THINGS!
starry night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 06:49 PM   #48

I've served the omelets in a bag before and everyone likes them because they chose their own ingredients.

My quick meals involve boneless skinless chicken breasts or salmon filets in a George foreman type of grill. I marinade in advance or use lemon pepper or an herb mixture. That and a salad is a regular meal around here.

KB is online now   Reply With Quote