Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-16-2014, 04:23 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
click on "Change when the Computer Sleeps".
Actually, there was something that kept it from going to sleep. I stopped some services, exited the homegroup, turned off Windows Media sharing, and some other things. With each experiment I'd wait a minute, to see if it would sleep, and it wouldn't.

I finally decided to give up on this issue, and actually do something, and as I reached for the keyboard, it slept.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2014, 03:21 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
So I guess we disagree on just about everything?
Pretty much. There is a pattern, though. What I indicate is generally the actuality, regardless of whether it's good for me or bad for me personally. You - not so much.

Old 05-17-2014, 07:19 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Al, what's your overall impression on version 6.3 build 9600 now that you've had it for a little while? Have you found advantages that outweigh your frustrations?
Old 05-17-2014, 08:28 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrinch View Post
Al, what's your overall impression on version 6.3 build 9600 now that you've had it for a little while? Have you found advantages that outweigh your frustrations?
It gets a thumbs up.

Note, however, that I am evaluating the OS and the new machine together, and the biggest improvement, zippiness, is probably due mostly to the upgrade from the dinosaur computer (E1505) I had before.

As for the interface, I'm finding out how to make it work. There are so many things that could be better about it. For example, let's say I have a document on the desktop, say a .txt file. Why can't I just drag it to the taskbar to pin it there? Same with a shortcut to a document. I found out a way to get that done, but it was complicated enough that I'll have to google it again next time to remember how to do it.

In the same vein, why can't I just drag and drop Start apps out of their folders to give me one alphabetical list?

This is how I have my desktop set up right now:

Desktop.png

By having the taskbar on the left, I take advantage of the new wider aspect ratio of the screen. But notice how much wasted space there is.

I will probably install a classic shell app. I was going to just get used to this setup, but the rumor is that Windows 8.2 will bring back the classic start menu interface. Why make the new system work if they will bring back the old.

Essentially, the answer is that I like the new interface OK but only because I have been able to completely avoid the Start screen and avoid running Metro apps. So far I haven't met a metro app that I've liked.

The ability to open windows and size them, move them, and overlap them however you like is the most important thing about Windows. Heck, that's why they called it Windows. So they are moving away from that?

I had hoped that Windows 8 would get rid of some of the hassles of dealing with installation problems, the need to reboot frequently, drivers, constant updates, etc., so I'm disappointed that it's pretty much business as usual.

I thought the touchscreen aspect of the interface would be a game changer, but I haven't touched it for days. It's easier to move the mouse cursor to the upper left than it is to reach out and swipe the screen.

Bottom line: I'm glad I upgraded, because the new machine is bigger and faster and Windows 8.1 is not much different from XP, as least in the way I'm using it.

Next I'll review the laptop.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:03 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

I almost took the HP Envy 17 back because the touchpad buttons were too hard to press and the fan was always on (and had an annoying hum).

But now, I've found that I can get by without having to depress the touchpad buttons (plus I'm using my mouse), and with a change in a BIOS setting, the fan only comes on occasionally.

It fits in the rolltop desk because screen isn't much taller.

One reason I was forced to upgrade my old computer was that newer apps were too slow. It took forever for the Corel Paintshop app to load, for example. On the new laptop it's pretty fast.

The improvement in brightness and clarity of the HP isn't really noticeable until I put the machines side by side, but I'm sure it makes things easier to read. I like having more screen real estate, but it's less important than I thought it would be.

Note that I will rarely move this laptop, since on trips I'll have my Nexus 7 + Bluetooth keyboard, so bulkiness is not an issue.

The new chiclet style keyboard is a huge improvement, to my surprise. You may have noticed how much longer my posts have been. It's because typing is faster and easier. The backlit keyboard is surprisingly useful; there are times when I need to find a key by sight, and it's dark in the room.

BTW, the word "chiclet" comes from the Nahuatl word tziktli, which refers to a substance used to make gum.

The fingerprint scanner lets me have high security and convenience at the same time.

I have much more memory and disk space that I need, and I may be doing backups to the cloud.

A thumbs up also to Laplink PC Mover Pro. Last time I got a new machine, it took me two weeks to get everything installed and working the way I wanted. PCMover cut at least a week off that.

This is my first HP, all previous machines since my IBM XT have been Dells. It's just as good or better--hard to say. The convenience of buying at Costco--just picking it up and taking it home, and being able to just take it in if I change my mind, is major.

So bottom line: good machine.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:12 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

T-Al, I'm curious about the BIOS change, what was that? It just seems odd to me that a pre-configured, stock machine would need the consumer to get into the 'techy parts' to make the fan run as it should.

-ERD50
Old 05-17-2014, 03:46 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
T-Al, I'm curious about the BIOS change, what was that? It just seems odd to me that a pre-configured, stock machine would need the consumer to get into the 'techy parts' to make the fan run as it should.

-ERD50
It is a little strange. There's an option in the BIOS to have the fan always on, and it is enabled by default. It is only relevant when on AC power.

I've seen a lot of posts about HP laptop heating issues, so my guess is that HP decided to overkill the problem by having the fan on all the time, but allow noise-o-phobes like me to turn off that feature.

Mine's rarely on my lap, and our house only gets above 70 degrees when I've misjudged the fire, so I'm set.

Pavilion dm1z - new BIOS, "Fan always on" - HP Support Forum - 812135
Old 05-17-2014, 04:19 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
It is a little strange. There's an option in the BIOS to have the fan always on, and it is enabled by default. It is only relevant when on AC power. ....[/URL]
I see, it's an optional thing, not something every owner would need to do. Yes, a little odd, but I guess it makes some sense. But since the fan is speed controlled anyhow, it doesn't seem necessary. Might be overkill, might be 'feel good' ('hey, I know it's keeping my computer cool'), or they might really have some marginal cooling, where it can heat up fast enough that the fan can't 'catch up' from an idle state - but that seems like a stretch.

-ERD50