Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-22-2013, 10:56 PM   #81
Full time employment: Posting here.

Found another one on the shelf I haven't seen for a long time. The Secret of Roan Inish. Another one that I couldn't put on here because I think it was popular at the time....although you don't see it around these days, is the 1937 Lost Horizon. And as I put that one back....I noticed Inkheart.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2013, 11:12 PM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wow,, I forgot about Kinky Boots - a good one.

Old 10-23-2013, 04:24 AM   #83

Being John Malkovich - about as weird as it gets
Heathers - I loved the line "my teen angst bulls#$t has a body count"
Plan Nine From Outer Space - unintentionally very funny
High Fidelity
Old 11-10-2013, 12:27 AM   #84
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

While hunting for information on Dennis Weaver I found reference to a scary road movie from 1971 called Duel. It was Steven Spielberg's second movie, initially made for TV. It's not on Netflix but the whole movie has just recently been posted on YouTube. It was shot in 13 days and is by no means perfect but it could put you off driving alone on isolated country roads forever! (A cell phone would have been very helpful to the hero if they had been available at the time).
Old 11-10-2013, 01:28 AM   #85
Give me a forum ...

I remember seeing Duel on TV, but sometimes in the early 80s. At that point, Spielberg was already well-known hence I made a note of it when I watched it.

About cat-and-mouse thriller movies on desolate roads, there are quite a few made with the backdrop of the US western states or Australia. Of the latter, I remember Road Games (1981). And the reason for the impression was the young Jamie Lee Curtis.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:27 AM   #86

I remember watching Duel when it was on in 1971, a good movie.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:22 PM   #87
Recycles dryer sheets

I watched my "Rancho Deluxe" DVD over the holiday and thought I'd resurrect this thread to flesh out my earlier mention, as this is really a good movie. My most lasting impression the first time I saw it came during the closing credits when I thought "Hey, that had an actual plot!"
Jeff Bridges and Sam Waterston play a couple of small-time, modern-day cattle rustlers and Slim Pickens plays a famous stock detective brought in to catch them.
Music (and a brief appearance) by Jimmy Buffett. Written by Tom McGuane (as an added bonus, the script contains the phrase "sagebrush nincompoop").
Smart. Witty. Satirical. Quirky without resorting to space aliens, time warps, alternate realities or other such devices.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:07 PM   #88

Sliding Doors
The White Countess
What's Eating Gilbert Grape
My Beautiful Laundrette
Mississippi Masala

I liked a lot of the films previously mentioned in this thread, too. I think The Princess Bride is one of my son's favorites.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:06 AM   #89

Thanks, Everyone, For a Great List

Winter has started. With all the chores I hope to avoid, you've given me a hearty list to take to our local library, where "lesser known" titles can often be ordered.

Can't wait!

Old 12-02-2013, 08:33 AM   #90
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4mandolin View Post
4. Bucharoo Banzai

I love this movie!
Old 12-02-2013, 08:57 AM   #91

One that I can't forget and I don't think was that popular was "In Bruges"
Ralph Fiennes and Brendan Gleason were both great as always and even Colin Farrell was
watchable for a change.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:09 AM   #92

Add me to the Duel fans. I did not see the movie until the 1980s. It is amazing how little dialog there was in the movie. Dennis Weaver was great.

The 1985 movie, "After Hours" starring Griffin Dunne, Rosanna Arquette, and Teri Garr, (and directed by Martin Scorsese) is a quirky favorite of mine. I was living in Manhattan at the time so I liked the closeness of many of the landmarks to where I lived (in Chelsea).
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:05 PM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Another Duel fan.

Just watched Greendale, Neil Young. This was the movie version. Definitely very different.

I'd seen the DVD of a concert performance years ago. Interesting how Neil used the best of the media to tell this tale. If you're not familiar with Greendale, it's not Neil's old stuff, but full of his 2004 ideas.

MRG
Old 12-02-2013, 08:36 PM   #94

+1 to Rancho Deluxe. I loved that movie, too!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote