Join Early Retirement Today

Quiz and Article on Happiness
Old 01-13-2008, 11:40 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quiz and Article on Happiness

Thought this short quiz and article on happiness was interesting:

Here's the short quiz:

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=4114608&page=1

I got 4.75, which is average. Better than I would have done when I was working, but still room for improvement (not surprising---retired people have an average of 5.6).

The article:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Story?id=4115033&page=1

Highlights that I found interesting were:

* antidepressants can minimize negative emotions, but not cause happiness to occur (aha! This is why I didn't think AD did all that much for me.)
* 50% of our happiness can be traced to our genes, 40% can be controlled through daily thoughts and actions, 10% to life circumstances (where we live, marital status, how we look, how much money we have)
* hedonic adaptation means that after a while, we adapt to what originally brought us happiness, like improved looks or increased money---and then doesn't do as much for us
* by studying Buddhist monks, it was found that changes in the brain occurred within two weeks with half an hour of thinking about kindness and compassion

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2008, 01:53 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I haven't taken the test but I suspect that I would score on the lower side.

One thing I found helps my mood is exercise - being active. Just today my wife and I went hiking on a trail we discovered. It was a hell of a lot better than my normal routine of being a couch potato. It really helped improve my mood.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:44 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

5.6 here! First couple of years in retirement would have been lower. I had a difficult time moving away from family even though we spent a total of 2 to 3 months visiting them each year. Still didn't make me feel any better about leaving the g-kids (6 mo and 1 yr at our retirement). Now, 12 yr into retirement, we spend the month of Dec with family (hectic!) and some vacations (much more laid back), plus cell phone, e-mail and IM keep me in touch enough to make me happy. New friends can be found around most corners.

The g-kids getting older and able to call, e-mail or IM made a hugh increase in my "happy meter", but I think that the biggest change was in me. There were always friends to be found around every corner, but I started taking the time to cultivate them...even in the somewhat transient lifestyle we have chosen. Plus, I like being around DH 24/7. When I need some space, I pack him a lunch and ask him to be home by dinner. He's come to understand that I am a happier camper if I have some "alone" time occasionally, and once or twice he's been perceptive enough to ask if I need to "pack him a lunch". Life is good!
Old 01-13-2008, 04:03 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

5.75 -- three years into ER.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:33 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for posting this--I forwarded the links to my kids. One called and laughed at me, since he is and always has been truly the happiest person in our family. The other one is probably upset about it
Old 01-13-2008, 06:24 PM   #6
Administrator

Hmm. I scored a 6, and I'm not even retired yet.

Imagine how high I will score after ER.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 07:17 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

i'm a 5.75, not bad considering all the gloom in my life. fortunately i don't take myself seriously.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 07:20 PM   #8

A 6 for me too. Getting better every day.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:17 PM   #9

5.5 for me. I'm much happier since I retired last November! I can't imagine what it would be if I was working! I also make a point of working out at the gym 3 days a week and a walk around the lake 3 days w/stationary bike thrown in for good measure. I think my eating habits have improved plus lots of water. All that helps plus the lack of "bad" stress from work!
Old 01-13-2008, 10:14 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Geez, guys, I may kvetch & grumble at times but I'm mostly 7s. I gave myself a six on one question because the surf was really really cold today...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 03:03 AM   #11

This was way too simplistic a quiz. I haven't even had my daily (purely medicinal) 2 (ok maybe 3) fingers of my favorite beverage. I can't believe that I am so pollyanna-ish. I scored a 7. Go figure.
oh - FIREd 6 months and counting.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:52 AM   #12

Yeah, I scored a 6.25. I retired in 06/06 and I find myself thanking God several times a week that I am able to be retired. It also doesn't hurt that I am leaving Thursday to drive to FL to go on a 8 day cruise with 4 of the girlfriends and my sister. Also, I am going to be a grandmother for the first time in 07/08 and I just heard my grandbaby's heartbeat for the first time last week! Life is really good right now!
Old 01-14-2008, 10:36 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Hey, I coulda scored 7 too but I have a policy of never clicking on boxes in the far extremes of a scale.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:17 PM   #14

5.75, so I am going to work on becoming happier than that. I want to be a 7, too!
Old 01-14-2008, 02:20 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

3.75? Good thing i hang with a pollyanna girl!
Old 01-14-2008, 06:13 PM   #16

where life is beautiful all the time

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote