Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-21-2016, 05:20 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I got 58

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2016, 05:32 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

33 for me, which supposedly means I'm a "first-generation upper-middle-class person with middle-class parents". And you know what... that is exactly right. Parents were about as middle class as you could get, so of course I was too for most of my life. Just within maybe the past 10-15 years I've moved a bit more into that "bubble" zone where I'm a little more isolated from mainstream middle-class American culture. Have never once watched an episode of "The Voice" or stocked my fridge with Bud Light, and I never will!

Old 04-21-2016, 05:52 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I thought this was somewhat interesting, though inaccurate. There are 25 questions whose answers purport to show how insulated (or not) you are from "mainstream America," whatever that is. I scored 42, which equates to "second generation upper-middle-class person who has made a point of getting out a lot."

It's funny. My parents were working-class; we were always a bit strapped; we lived in a rural area; but everybody in the family loved to read. That makes a huge difference to a kid's future, and I notice that "reading" isn't even mentioned in the questions.

Do you live in a bubble? A quiz | PBS NewsHour
Yeah, what about that reading stuff? And let's not leave out intelligent web surfing.

From the article:
Quote:
There exists a new upper class thatís completely disconnected from the average white American and American culture at large, argues Charles Murray, a libertarian political scientist and author.
Does disconnected mean bad? It seems so as the author of this equates the lower scores with living in a bubble ... and we all know bubbles are bad.

P.S. I hope the moderator does not think this is inflammatory.
Old 04-21-2016, 05:55 PM   #44

49, but have no idea what that means.
Old 04-21-2016, 06:01 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

I've eaten at all of those restaurants, but only one - IHOP - in the timeframe specified. Didn't see Cracker Barrel on the list. Oversight?

Under slightly different circumstances, I'd have aced that puppy...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 06:08 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post

I'm OK with a thiner bubble, I wasn't very sheltered. I cracked up on the "have you ever been on a factory floor?" Heck I recall wishing to be inside the factory because there was heat inside. Life is good.☺

Yea, this was a question that to me meant nothing...

I 'worked' on a factory floor.... for a whole 1 week.... saw how a good number of people were missing fingers and decided it was not for me...

But, I could answer 'yes' to the question... heck, lots of them were like that...
Old 04-21-2016, 06:39 PM   #47

My score was 51.

It was sad they didn't include Downton Abbey on the TV program list. I have not watched any of the ones they listed.
Old 04-21-2016, 06:48 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay View Post
My score was 51.

It was sad they didn't include Downton Abbey on the TV program list. I have not watched any of the ones they listed.
Downton will doom you to a very thick bubble.

How about Vera or Nova?
Old 04-21-2016, 07:13 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

I got 56 . All those years wearing uniforms did me in !
Old 04-21-2016, 07:13 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Yea, this was a question that to me meant nothing...

I 'worked' on a factory floor.... for a whole 1 week.... saw how a good number of people were missing fingers and decided it was not for me...

But, I could answer 'yes' to the question... heck, lots of them were like that...
I did it again and noticed extra questions, after answering yes to working in a factory there were a couple of questions that prove your smarter than me.

While you saw the folks with missing fingers you left. I stayed damn near 10 years. This was after I saw my best buddy get his pant leg caught in a spinning saw arbor. Luckily his pants were just ripped off of him. That won't happen to me, I'm smarter.😕 Glad they made me work outside in the rain, only took 3 days before I said I'm going back to school.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:32 PM   #51

Hahahaha, I got 15. But, like W2R, I think it shows how difficult it is to attempt to apply socio-economic classifications to Americans. In my case, it reflects not so much that I grew up in a bubble, but more my odd character, which is somewhat insular and asocial. In other words, all sorts of "average American" things could be going on all around me and I'd be busy stuck in my own head, happy as a clam, blithely unaware of my surroundings.

As I've said many times before, all a guy needs to be happy is a bicycle, a place to live, and a few cats
Old 04-21-2016, 07:49 PM   #52

24, I only had a brief period of poverty, like one year. But I grew up from a well to do family. My father was considered successful back in the old days.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-21-2016, 08:03 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Hahahaha, I got 15. But, like W2R, I think it shows how difficult it is to attempt to apply socio-economic classifications to Americans. In my case, it reflects not so much that I grew up in a bubble, but more my odd character, which is somewhat insular and asocial. In other words, all sorts of "average American" things could be going on all around me and I'd be busy stuck in my own head, happy as a clam, blithely unaware of my surroundings.

As I've said many times before, all a guy needs to be happy is a bicycle, a place to live, and a few cats
I know that you are also an immigrant, same as I am. Knowing that I am "different" than people around me, I have done RV'ing around the country to see how the rest of the US lives. Don't know if it changes me any, but I have enjoyed the trek. You can do the same.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:06 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

I just thought of something. If I ask my adult children to take the test, I think their scores will also be low, even though they are US-born. But then, what can I expect? I raised them in a bubble!
Old 04-21-2016, 08:13 PM   #55
Administrator

65, and I'm sure that none of my professional colleagues would ever guess. There are an awful lot of assumptions made about someone who does what I do for a living and looks like I look.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:17 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm... The Web site shows that the average score is 40, and the distribution follows a bell curve.

If 40 is considered average or mainstream, how do we interpret a higher score? How can one be more "mainstream" than the average person?
Old 04-21-2016, 08:21 PM   #57

I got 34. Not sure if I'm in a bubble or not but if I am I like it and stay off my bubble!
Old 04-21-2016, 08:29 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

I think the survey must have been written by someone that lives in a bubble like a condo in Manhattan. Your family could own the factory, sponsor Jimmie Johnson's car and have been a ski bum in Colorado and qualify for a high score on the survey.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:30 PM   #59

57 (never watched any of the TV shows, and never even heard of some of them)
Old 04-22-2016, 12:41 AM   #60

So can someone tell me what mainstream America is? According to some of the comments on this thread, they don't have college degrees, live in small towns, own pickup trucks, know who Jimmie is, eat at Denny's, drink beer, go fishing, have worn uniforms at work, and also have worked on factory floors?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Tags
mainstream america, middle class, quiz, reading, social class