Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-30-2013, 10:47 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Any idiot can pay full price.

See my sig line for a good one from my father in law. I added the second line.

You can put lip stick on it, but it is still a pig.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2013, 07:14 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

As fate would have it, I received a book by Tom McGuane in the mail today. This line, from the preface, jumped right out at me:
"It serves no one to suggest that broken hearts are never repaired..."

Old 11-03-2013, 08:26 AM   #43
Dryer sheet aficionado

Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Lord Acton
Old 12-02-2013, 05:08 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Loose lips sink ships.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:20 PM   #45

What... me worry? Alfred E Newman.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:26 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

“Comparison is the death of joy.” ― Mark Twain

No wonder Facebook gets folks depressed
Old 12-02-2013, 05:31 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

"If there's a 50-50 chance of us winning, 9 times out of 10 we will."

"I'd make a mental note, but I don't have anything to write on."

"Creativity is simply forgetting where you stole the idea from."
Old 12-02-2013, 06:27 PM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

"A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed tomorrow"

"Those who constantly worry what others think of them would be surprised to learn how little they really care"

"stupid prizes for stupid people"
Old 12-02-2013, 06:38 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines" - Anon.

"The early bird gets the worm, but the 2nd mouse gets the cheese" - Anon.

"Hard work pays off in the future, but laziness pays off now." - Anon.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:46 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

I have too many favorites to list them all. Here's some more.

"A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice." - Bill Cosby

"People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." - Isaac Asimov

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." - Lily Tomlin"
Old 12-02-2013, 06:56 PM   #51

I used to have an email program that you could put quotes in a file and it would randomize them to create a different quote in your signature every time you used it. That was my favorite thing about that program. Anyway, I still have my quote file. Here are some I like:

Our vision is more obstructed by what we think we know than by our lack of knowledge. -Kristen Stendahl

The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. -Anonymous

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw

If at first you don't succeed, try again - if you still fail, give up - no sense being a damn fool about it. -- W.C. Fields

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life. -- Andrew Brown

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. -- Leo Tolstoy

I think we consider too much the good luck of the early bird, and not enough the bad luck of the early worm. -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this. -- Bertrand Russell

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts. -- Bertrand Russell

There are many intelligent species in the universe. They are all owned by cats. -- Anonymous

Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this. -- Anonymous

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. -- Anonymous

President Thieu says he'll quit if he doesn't get more than 50% of the vote. In a democracy, that's not called quitting. -- The Washington Post

When you say that you agree to a thing in principle you mean that you have not the slightest intention of carrying it out in practice. -- Bismarck

President Thieu says he'll quit if he doesn't get more than 50% of the vote. In a democracy, that's not called quitting. -- The Washington Post

When you say that you agree to a thing in principle you mean that you have not the slightest intention of carrying it out in practice. -- Bismarck

I had a linguistics professor who said that it's man's ability to use language that makes him the dominant species on the planet. That may be. But I think there's one other thing that separates us from animals. We aren't afraid of vacuum cleaners." - Jeff Stilson

Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God. -- Anonymous

You can always tell a cat, but you can't tell him much. -- Anonymous

At least dogs do what you tell them to do. Cats take a message and get back to you. -- Anonymous

Cats are smarter than dogs. You can't get eight cats to pull a sled through snow. -- Jeff Valdez

We wonder why the cats always drink out of our toilets, but look at it from their point of view: why do humans keep peeing into their water bowls? -- Anonymous

If a cat spoke, it would say things like, “Hey, I don't see the problem here." -- Joseph Wood Krutch

The difference between papa and mama is that mama loves morals and papa loves cats. -- Susy Clemens (Mark Twain's daughter)

Every act of conscious learning requires the willingness to suffer an injury to one's self-esteem. That is why young children, before they are aware of their own self-importance, learn so easily; and why older persons, especially if vain or important, cannot learn at all. -- Thomas Szasz

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Old 12-02-2013, 07:05 PM   #52

"Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you are probably right"
-Henry Ford
Old 12-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
Ah, talk about principles, here's a quote from Groucho Marx.

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx
Old 12-02-2013, 07:18 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

I always liked: "Do right and fear no man. Don't write and fear no woman." Often attributed to John Dewar of Dewars' Scotch fame.

"One man with courage makes a majority!" Often attributed to General (and President) Andrew Jackson

prof12
Old 12-02-2013, 08:28 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

"I mean...Damn!"
- Anonymous
Old 12-03-2013, 01:39 AM   #56

I often quoted below to my employees:

“Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. ” - Will Rogers.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:42 AM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

'Well, you COULD be at work!' My DH
Old 12-03-2013, 04:57 AM   #58

What is measured is managed.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:48 AM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

"An optimist builds dream castles in the sky, a pessimist lives there and a realist collects rent from both of them"
Old 12-03-2013, 03:35 PM   #60
gone traveling

"Adventure is crisis in retrospect"