Join Early Retirement Today

R.I.P. Chris Kyle
Old 02-03-2013, 08:41 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

R.I.P. Chris Kyle

If you don't know who Chris Kyle is, Google him. He is the very definition of a true American hero and the word "badass" doesn't do him justice. He was a SEAL for 10 years and is the deadliest sniper in US history. He won 2 silver stars and 5 bronze stars among many other awards. He was shot twice and hit by IEDs 5-6 times.

His book "American Sniper" was #1 on the NY Times bestseller list. He donated every red cent from the book to the widows of 2 of his fallen SEAL buddies. I have a co-worker who was a very good friend and business partner of his and he personally watched him endorse a check for $1.6 million to the widows and that was just one royalty check.

Of all ways to die, he was murdered yesterday volunteering his time in a program that mentors and counsels ex-service members who suffer from PTSD. Apparently someone decided part of the program should be to take people with PTSD to a shooting range, and this ex-marine snapped and shot Chris and another guy while they were trying to help him.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2013, 09:07 AM   #2

RIP

Old 02-03-2013, 09:11 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

A shocking and sad end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
Apparently someone decided part of the program should be to take people with PTSD to a shooting range...
Hard to believe anyone didn't stop to consider this could be a very bad idea.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:28 AM   #4

Sad to see this true American hero go down leaving behind a wife and two young kids. RIP
Old 02-03-2013, 09:29 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Mental health services for veterans returning from combat zones are so needed and yet so shamefully inadequate.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:29 AM   #6

RIP. A damn high price to pay for tying to help.

I have helped vets in the past. However, I have alway been vary. And still am. Especially around ones with known PTSD. The fact that I am with felow veterans does not mean I am amongst friends.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:10 PM   #7

America has lost a true hero.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:49 PM   #8
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclarksnakes View Post
America has lost a true hero.
+1
Old 02-04-2013, 08:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
A shocking and sad end.
Hard to believe anyone didn't stop to consider this could be a very bad idea.
Of course, the thing is, that sort of danger doesn't stop the kind of person who did what Mr. Kyle did. Some might say the definition of a "hero" is someone who would knowingly risk their own safety to do what they thought was right for the greater good.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:51 PM   #10

I read his book recently. Such a loss. I feel for his family.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:35 AM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Of course, the thing is, that sort of danger doesn't stop the kind of person who did what Mr. Kyle did. Some might say the definition of a "hero" is someone who would knowingly risk their own safety to do what they thought was right for the greater good.
I was deeply sadden to hear of his tragic death. I am sure Utrecht friend is even more upset. I had no idea he donated all of the proceeds of Sniper to charity. What a mensch. I will definitely put Sniper on my reading list.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:21 PM   #12

The memorial service is being held in the 80,000+ seat Cowboy Stadium. That should give everyone an idea how well respected he was.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:24 PM   #13

Looks like the VAs should get more involved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondi688 View Post
Mental health services for veterans returning from combat zones are so needed and yet so shamefully inadequate.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:42 PM   #14

Just want to add my +1. This is so sad. And he was a true man as well as American hero. RIP Chris Kyle.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #15

A huge loss for America. That said, taking someone with poorly controlled PTSD to a shooting range was, in retrospect, a bad idea. But then, should a Urologist give up practice because a disgruntled patient might shoot him?
Doctor Killed in Office Was 'Isolated Incident' and Possibly Targeted by Patient
Live holds no guarantees. Never miss a day to appreciate your loved ones.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:25 AM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
The memorial service is being held in the 80,000+ seat Cowboy Stadium. That should give everyone an idea how well respected he was.
80,000 people for anyone's funeral is remarkable. But for a man who never appeared on American Idol stage, made it to a Superbowl, or a played a super hero on the big screen, held a political office pretty much unheard of it.

Nice to see the folks in Dallas have their priorities in order.