Join Early Retirement Today

R U a "Wi-fi Squatter"?
Old 08-06-2011, 09:11 AM   #1
gone traveling

R U a "Wi-fi Squatter"?

Many New York City Starbucks Locations About To Put An End To Squatters « CBS New York

This is a practice that seems to be getting out of hand in many areas, IMHO.

While DW/me did enjoy going to the local Parena Bread, but have stopped due to the "rudeness" of those sitting at the tables (many of them college students) and using the wi-fi. Their tables are clean and I question if they ever bought anything, at all.

So there we stand, with our trays in hand, and not a place to sit ...

How is it in your area, and your thoughts?
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2011, 09:20 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I'd add Panera to the mix as well. There was one day I went in there on a busy weekend and could not find an available table for my family to sit and eat because of all the people hanging out to conduct business and/or use the free wifi- very few of them were actually eating.
novaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:27 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It's the same around here.

I'll bet that on balance, this is a profitable thing for the coffee shops. For every person who buys nothing or buys a coffee and sits for hours, there are several who would not be there were there no free Internet.

My bands used to play at coffee shops, but too often, we'd look out at the audience, and everyone would be in cyberspace, with headphones in.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:29 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think it's reasonable to provide free wi-fi but not provide electrical outlet to power the laptop. This could limit laptop use to 1 - 2 hours for most users.

I was recently in a McDonald's in Branson, MO and the outlets did not have power.

During my roadtrips (once a month or so), I do frequent more McDonald's for the free wi-fi, but my kids enjoy the food too. We don't go there much otherwise.

How is it different when people meet at Denny's, etc. to conduct business for hours over coffee or small meal? I know real estate investors that use restaurants as their office without a laptop, so it's not always the wi-fi. This is bad as it impacts table turnover and tips for the wait staff.
Aiming_4_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:00 AM   #5
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
My bands used to play at coffee shops, but too often, we'd look out at the audience, and everyone would be in cyberspace, with headphones in.
Hopefully, that was not a reflection on the music you were providing! ...

Seriously, we do have a lot of colleges/university's in our area and even though they provide the students with wi-fi, I believe a lot of them just want to "get out" and rather than stay on the campus, drop by the local eatery that provides free wi-fi.

That dosen't make it easy for us "townies"...
Old 08-06-2011, 10:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Hopefully, that was not a reflection on the music you were providing! ...

lol

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:29 AM   #7

I say it's about time.

There have been many stories in the press in the past couple of years of independent coffee shops struggling to make ends meet due to wifi squatters. They come in, buy their 99 cent cup of coffee and don't leave. Due to the unemployment crisis, many have cut off their internet at home so they use the local coffee shop/panera as their office.

If you are going to take up a table at least spend money as the business owner has to make money as well

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:45 AM   #8

Starbucks used to offer free wi fi for 1 -2 hours only if you were a registered rewards/gift card member and made a purchase. They decided to market free wi fi all the time, hoping they could attract more people to the store and get them to stick around longer. Obviously, this was a marketing ploy to combat McDonalds, because it got McD's to also offer free wi fi too. Maybe it's something they regret for the really busy locations, but I still see a lot of Starbucks that always seem empty.
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:56 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Here, there are local restaurants and local coffee places that are much better than the chain restaurants. Generally the local places do not have wireless, or if they do, then they do not attract loiterers.

We have never been to a Starbucks here (though I went once or twice by myself, years ago). Why Starbucks, when we can instead order cafe au lait and beignets at Morning Call? I'm not sure if we even have Panera here. At any rate, like many/most New Orleanians we don't usually go to chain restaurants or coffee places. I do not recall ever having been inconvenienced by anyone on a laptop in public in New Orleans.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Morning Call.jpg (15.9 KB, 200 views)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:46 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
So there we stand, with our trays in hand, and not a place to sit ...

How is it in your area, and your thoughts?
Something like this at Chicago's Michigan Ave right in front of Millenium Park. There were 4 of us and only 2 seats are available. Fortunately, the couple that don't have the laptop left when they saw our dilemna.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2358.jpg (650.3 KB, 14 views)
KingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:25 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiming_4_55 View Post
How is it different when people meet at Denny's, etc. to conduct business for hours over coffee or small meal?
I think that Internet surfing is likely to last longer than business meetings.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:27 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Why don't they require some sort of log in (like many hotels do) that limit wi-fi time to an hour or two?
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:40 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Why don't they require some sort of log in (like many hotels do) that limit wi-fi time to an hour or two?
+1
Or time based on amount of purchase.
KingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:58 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Why are we trying to tell private businesses how to manage their business? If one coffee shop is too busy, go to another. They are not public utilities.

Anyway, I like looking at the young women, even if I have to stand to do it. Better than sitting and looking at the bunch of crabby middle aged people.

Ha
Old 08-07-2011, 07:05 AM   #15
Administrator

Didn't Barnes & Noble have a similar situation when they created a lot of space for reading, only to be taken over by people reading magazines they didn't buy and studying with the textbooks they also didn't purchase? This bothered their regular customers and after a couple of years they cut back.

When this happens to us we just go elsewhere. It's not like there's a shortage of coffeeshops (or bookstores).
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:16 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

The local Panera has their wifi setup to automatically time a session out after 30 minutes, between 11am and 2pm. The starbucks next door has unlimited wifi though, so someone can just switch networks to get around the timer.

Offer a free or unlimited service and people will use it. Starbucks knows this and like a previous poster said, has a solution. They decided it was better to have the squatters.

No electrical outlet isn't that big of a deal. Bump down the screen brightness on the laptop, turn off the audio, put the processor in power save mode, and you're rocking a 3-4 hour battery life on a typical laptop anyway.
pimpmyretirement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:18 AM   #17
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Why are we trying to tell private businesses how to manage their business? If one coffee shop is too busy, go to another. They are not public utilities.
That's fine if you live in an urban area; however for us (more specifically DW) our quick eatery of choice (Panera Bread) is just down the road, but another is many miles away.

And no, we're not moving to a "city"; we enjoy our "semi-city" life ...
Old 08-07-2011, 07:20 AM   #18

No problems here at the Grasshopper Cafe.
grasshopper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:30 AM   #19
Administrator

Quote:
That's fine if you live in an urban area; however for us (more specifically DW) our quick eatery of choice (Panera Bread) is just down the road, but another is many miles away.

And no, we're not moving to a "city"; we enjoy our "semi-city" life ...
If you haven't already done so, you should tell the management at the Panera that you want to eat there but can't. Also their corporate office. Businesses are often very responsive to customer complaints, especially when delivered in a proactive way.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:46 AM   #20
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Businesses are often very responsive to customer complaints, especially when delivered in a proactive way.
We have; results have been - well none ...