Join Early Retirement Today

R U watching M@d Men?
Old 09-01-2007, 01:11 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

R U watching M@d Men?

I think it's a great show...the costume/set are great, actors great etc...

i find it fascinating! i don't have any family that were around in the US during those days - so how much of the show is an exag, and how much of it true to life? were some of you once a don draper? or mr. sterling?

some scenes are just horrifying by today's sensibilities - the one where the two housewives are chatting (kids playing in the other room) - you hear a noise, one mom calls the kid over to see what happened. In walk two kids, under age 8 or so, one w/ a plastic bag over their head! the mom says, calmly, "if you ruined my dry cleaning..." the kids walk back and resume playing, w/ bag over head still! then you get a glimpse of the two ladies talking and realize that one of the moms is very pregnant and smoking and drinking...

the other striking stuff is how much the secretaries were treated like meat for the taking...

anyhoo... if you were around then, what do you recall? (or are you just missing the good ol' days!)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2007, 06:27 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
I think it's a great show...the costume/set are great, actors great etc...

i find it fascinating! i don't have any family that were around in the US during those days - so how much of the show is an exag, and how much of it true to life? were some of you once a don draper? or mr. sterling?

some scenes are just horrifying by today's sensibilities - the one where the two housewives are chatting (kids playing in the other room) - you hear a noise, one mom calls the kid over to see what happened. In walk two kids, under age 8 or so, one w/ a plastic bag over their head! the mom says, calmly, "if you ruined my dry cleaning..." the kids walk back and resume playing, w/ bag over head still! then you get a glimpse of the two ladies talking and realize that one of the moms is very pregnant and smoking and drinking...

the other striking stuff is how much the secretaries were treated like meat for the taking...

anyhoo... if you were around then, what do you recall? (or are you just missing the good ol' days!)
doh! nobody's watching this show?

try it, you'll like it
Old 09-03-2007, 08:38 AM   #3

bright eyed, you got me curious. This is on AMC, set in 1960 in a NYC advertising agency, right? I'll give it a look. I was around, but not old enough to be able to answer your question.

Coach
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 09:26 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've been watching it since the beginning. I've found it the best show since the Sopranos. I hope they replay it from the start. It matches my memories of the 50's (from a kids point of view) flawlessly.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:39 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I was around as well, but they didn't allow 8th graders in executive positions... That said, drycleaner bags were great (though rare) toys. I remember directions for making hot-air ballons with them, which involved sending burning candles aloft to land....somwhere. Faces looked really funny with the plastic stretched across them. Don't recall any kids that didn't get the concept of breathing to live though. Car safety involved Mom delivering a judo chop to the throat of the front seat kid when she slammed on the brakes. Many of us survived. Some of us even had firearms at the age of 12 or so without murdelizing our classmates! Amazing!
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 09:47 AM   #6

Yeah, it's on AMC - i highly recommend!!!

Risk adverse, the producer/writer wrote the pilot a long time ago and then David Chase from the Sopranos read it and hired him on the spot...i think he was a writer for the Sopranos...(i heard an interview on npr)

anyhow they really pay attention to details - the clothing, set etc...he even made a point to have the low ceilings (in lieu of the usual TV set w/ no ceiling for the boom mic's etc)...

but overall i really just wonder how this compares to what folks really experienced.

my only other gauge were Darren from bewitched, or leave it to beave's dad and those were the rosy, peachy kind - the polar opp of what this show is revealing. he intentionally picked an ad agency, since i guess they were the worst of the business world...he he, one of the first episodes was figuring out how to re-market the cigarette...as they were all smoking like chimneys...

barbara walters saw it and said it reflected some of her earlier experiences - she actually had a coworker - i think a co-anchor, chase her around a desk!
Old 09-03-2007, 09:54 AM   #7

I don't know the program or movie or whatever it is, but, I grew up during the fifties and sixties. I played with plastic bags and latex balloons. I had these really small little Scottie dog magnets that I played with a lot. Think of the recalls lately with small magnets. I guess I was just taught by my mother not to put small things in my mouth. People smoked everywhere, it was just a natural thing. Also, I just loved it when someone broke a mercury thermometer...those little balls of mercury were so much fun.

My home in the 50s didn't include the more modern furniture that you probably are seeing in those programs. Our furniture was more left over 20s, 30s, and 40s stuff. I guess you had to be in a wealthier family to have the new modern stuff.

When I was in high school (60s) I have some crazy married guys at my part time job get too personal with me. Girls were not able to stand up for themselves like they can now.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 10:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post

My home in the 50s didn't include the more modern furniture that you probably are seeing in those programs. Our furniture was more left over 20s, 30s, and 40s stuff. I guess you had to be in a wealthier family to have the new modern stuff.
it was interesting, one of the things the creator said was that he was a stickler for not having things from one decade...because of what you said.

usually for shows/movies, they'll pull vogues from those years and copy those clothes...but he said, if you're middle class, you're not wearing what is in vogue that year, and you have clothes that you wear for several years...so he has some characters that tend to be a little more outdated either via their hair or clothes because that is more "real" than everyone in lock step...i was impressed w/ his level of detail!

even now, you'll see women who can't give up the farrah faucet flip of their youth, many decades later!
Old 09-03-2007, 11:11 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What day of the week does it come on?
Old 09-03-2007, 07:23 PM   #10

typical of cable shows it's on repeat several days a week...i think the new episode comes on thurs at 10...

AMC » Schedule