Join Early Retirement Today

Radio Flyer
Old 12-24-2008, 04:17 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Radio Flyer

Check out the new version:

Classic Radio Flyer wagon updated for 2.0 world - CNN.com

I had the classic version as a kid and loved carting my dolls and stuffed animals around in it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Radio Flyer.jpg (70.2 KB, 2 views)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2008, 04:33 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

What's the diff? Just made in china rather than in the US, right?

Ooops, I'm sorry, I was thinking of the Ladio Fryer wagon.

Old 12-24-2008, 06:28 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
What's the diff? Just made in china rather than in the US, right?
The only major difference is where the handle attaches to the tongue of the front axle assembly. They used to just have a bolt & nut there, and it was a MAJOR finger pincher....been there-done that! The new models have kind of a ball-joint instead...much easier on Junior's fingers!

I bought one a few years ago to use as a garden wagon....still seems to be same thickness of steel parts, etc. as the old version used to be.

Edited: Oooops! I had just scanned the article, and the image of the new version hadn't loaded. Just went back to actually read it more thoroughly, and this time the picture did load! Wow! Quite a difference! Harnesses, speakers, "digital handle".....Bah!!! I'll stick with the old tried & true model!!! Besides, I bet the old version will hold up a whole lot better to the pounding & abuse that kids are able to give it!!! Me & my cousins would of had the "new" 2.0 destroyed within the 1st week....EASY!!! And we were 'careful'.....in our estimation anyway!
Old 12-24-2008, 07:29 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

We used to coast down the hill in our wagon, and the handle came back in a way that made it possible to steer. That wouldn't be possible with the one in the picture.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
We used to coast down the hill in our wagon, and the handle came back in a way that made it possible to steer.
Same here...down the hill....down the steps....down the ravine......Me & my Cuz were always gettin' down! I think our parents were major stockholders in S.C. Johnson.....Band-Aids!!! And we still have a few scars to prove it!
Old 12-24-2008, 08:19 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
We used to coast down the hill in our wagon, and the handle came back in a way that made it possible to steer. That wouldn't be possible with the one in the picture.
Too cool Al. Wish I'd thought of that as a kid. Guess we were too busy risking life and limb on our skateboards
Old 12-25-2008, 05:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
I bought one a few years ago to use as a garden wagon....
I need to get one in the spring. A wagon seems a lot better than a wheelbarrow for general around the yard stuff.
Old 12-25-2008, 08:53 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Same here...down the hill....down the steps....down the ravine......Me & my Cuz were always gettin' down! I think our parents were major stockholders in S.C. Johnson.....Band-Aids!!! And we still have a few scars to prove it!
When I was five or so, cousin and I got the bright idea to ride the little red wagon down the steep rutted dirt driveway; I think we got about half way.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:08 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

I saw the new Cloud 9 wagon yesterday and it got me thinking....

In a few short years it will be just another piece of plastic junk that heads off to the landfill or the recycling center. When the digital handle dies and the speakers are dead and your new MP99 player won't connect up to the old MP3 player port it's toast.

Besides, a kid can't even use the thing by themselves. As Al pointed the handle doesn't pivot back and if you notice the front wheels don't steer (they are casters) so someone has to pull the thing. How is a kid going to give it a push and then jump in and head down the sidewalk and crash into the neighbor's pile of leaves by the curb.

It doesn't even look like it would make a good portable water supply for summer squirtgun fights with the other kids.

My old metal Radio Flyer was around for more than 20 years and then my sister used it for her kids.

Definitely not destined to become a family heirloom. Bet it doesn't last as long as the HELOC payments used to buy it.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:41 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

We also did the ride the wagon down the hill thing.

My sister once decided that she was going to grow frogs so she took her wagon, filled it with swamp water and frog eggs.

Then she forgot about it. Little dried and dead stuck on tadpoles were with that wagon forever.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 11:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I need to get one in the spring. A wagon seems a lot better than a wheelbarrow for general around the yard stuff.
Plus, if you keep a small piece of plywood handy. you can lay it across the wagon and use it as a portable seat to take a rest or to sit and deadhead flower, and stuff like that. The wheelbarrow's to high and 'tippy' to do that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleHoney View Post
I saw the new Cloud 9 wagon yesterday and it got me thinking....

In a few short years it will be just another piece of plastic junk that heads off to the landfill or the recycling center. When the digital handle dies and the speakers are dead and your new MP99 player won't connect up to the old MP3 player port it's toast.

Besides, a kid can't even use the thing by themselves. As Al pointed the handle doesn't pivot back and if you notice the front wheels don't steer (they are casters) so someone has to pull the thing. How is a kid going to give it a push and then jump in and head down the sidewalk and crash into the neighbor's pile of leaves by the curb.

It doesn't even look like it would make a good portable water supply for summer squirtgun fights with the other kids.

My old metal Radio Flyer was around for more than 20 years and then my sister used it for her kids.

Definitely not destined to become a family heirloom. Bet it doesn't last as long as the HELOC payments used to buy it.
Yep, more throw away junk, that won't take normal wear & tear of the projected audience. Of course, if it lasted forever and could be passed along generation to generation, the company wouldn't make as much money on new sales!

We used to fill ours up with water and have a portable pool to play in....coudn't swim or even splash much in it, but it sure was nice on really hot days to cool off!

Quote:
How is a kid going to give it a push and then jump in and head down the sidewalk and crash into the neighbor's pile of leaves by the curb.
Or, as in my youth, "How is a kid going to give it a push and then jump in and head down the sidewalk and crash into the TREE by the neighbor's pile of leaves."
Old 12-25-2008, 11:26 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yep, more throw away junk, that won't take normal wear & tear of the projected audience. Of course, if it lasted forever and could be passed along generation to generation, the company wouldn't make as much money on new sales!
Couldn't agree with you more. Those old wagons lasted and lasted. DH and I have a set of those heavy duty metal lawn chairs. They are 50+ years old and still look great. I re-painted them this summer and they look like new again. Those chairs will be around long after we are gone. Here's a picture of two of them. The kittens were fosters we had out for some sun on our back deck. The last of the kittens was adopted last Friday
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7 Kittens.JPG (425.1 KB, 1 views)
Old 12-25-2008, 01:07 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Couldn't agree with you more. Those old wagons lasted and lasted. DH and I have a set of those heavy duty metal lawn chairs. They are 50+ years old and still look great. I re-painted them this summer and they look like new again. Those chairs will be around long after we are gone. Here's a picture of two of them. The kittens were fosters we had out for some sun on our back deck. The last of the kittens was adopted last Friday
Hey Purron - check out one of my gifties: Badcat, the book.
Some excerpts: MyCatHatesYou dot com
Old 12-25-2008, 05:04 PM   #14

Quote:
This (wagon in the link) is a "monstrosity" & whoever came up with it should be fired.

As a younger kid I always wanted one of the stake-sides.
Old 12-25-2008, 05:15 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Hey Purron - check out one of my gifties: Badcat, the book.
Some excerpts: MyCatHatesYou dot com
I got the Bad Cat calendar last year - it's very funny! The excerpts you included from the book are great.
Old 12-25-2008, 05:16 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
I got the Bad Cat calendar last year - it's very funny! The excerpts you included from the book are great.
I did too.
Old 12-25-2008, 07:48 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

um...um...I never had one.
this modern monstrosity defies common sense.