Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-15-2015, 08:27 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I went in a couple of weeks ago looking for an IR repeater - right up their alley I thought. Didn't have it but they could go online and order it for me. The end.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2015, 09:28 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
+1, that annoyed me too. Although that was probably the extent of their new hire training program.

True story; about a year ago, I stopped by a Radio Shack to buy a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) and the only sales "person" in the store said she had never even heard of such a thing. It didn't surprise me too much that they didn't have one, but it made me smile to think, how in the world, can the only person working in an electronics store not know what a UPS is.
Could you still smell the odor of French Fries on the salesperson (from their previous job)?

Old 01-15-2015, 09:28 PM   #43

Wasn't there a period around 10 or 15 years ago when RS used to sell a lot of remote control vehicles? I'm thinking that if they were to carry a line of reasonably-priced drones, they could do quite well. It's a current product with broad appeal that is not just limited to the hobbyist niche, but to kids everywhere, as well as their Dads (and some Mums too).

One product line isn't going to save them and at this point, probably nothing can. If they were to stand a chance of thriving again, I think they'd need to completely revamp their approach and not just re-train, but replace, many of their employees.

It's most likely not going to happen.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:08 PM   #44

Didn't they make fun of themselves at the last superbowl? "The 1980s called they want their store back"

Guess that didn't work.

I like the idea of retooling the store to be more of a maker shop. Stock a couple different models of 3D printers, gantry cnc machines, maybe a lower end Epilog laser cutter. All of the Arduino stuff. Cut the number of stores back to perhaps 1 or 2 per major city. People will drive to where you are if you have cool items. They won't drive to buy a $40 HDMI cable.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:33 PM   #45

My first computer was purchased at Radio Shack. RS stopped selling those years ago. I last was in there two weeks ago to get a male to male adaptor to run some small speakers from a small TV.

They survived until recently on cell phone sales.
Old 01-16-2015, 04:17 AM   #46

There's one in our town and they normally don't have what I need when I go in there. But they are next to a good liquor store, so that's convenient. DW and I have wondered for years how RS stays open.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-16-2015, 08:01 AM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I needed some resistors and I went to the Radio Shack on line store where they were 50 cents with something like three dollars shipping. On further searching I found them on eBay, from Radio Shack for 50 cents with free shipping. Good for me, but they had to lose money on the deal, as they were sent UPS.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:46 PM   #48

About the only thing that could save them , is adding a Recreational Marijuana product line in the states that allowing rec. pot. And that would only work in a few locations.

Just think , they could also pump up sales of the other stuff in the stores to the stoners.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:01 PM   #49

So Chapter 11 it is , as of today . Pre arranged sale to a 3rd party with some stores to stay open , becoming Sprint locations. Seems like Sprint has also been on the ropes for the last few years.

Link added to news story http://www.marketwatch.com/story/rad...02-05-18103750
Old 02-05-2015, 05:29 PM   #50

This means Sprint will be the next to turn to stone, sort of like any company that touched dBase ii.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:05 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

There is/was a RS in our local mall (mall morbidity would make another thread). We used to go there for batteries and whatnot. We were dumb, and trusted the person behind the counter for advice on what to buy.

Well, four years ago I went there to get batteries for something, and the 2 young employees "on duty" could not be bothered to interrupt their personal conversation to help me. Being me, I interrupted them anyway, and then they pretended to be unable to help me decide which battery to buy. (Or, maybe, they were just as ignorant as I was?) So I went home and eventually found what I needed online. It was at that moment that I decided that RS must be on its way out. I'm only surprised it's taken this long.

By contrast, it p***** me off that our local Expo, which had the best employees in the world and was actually making a profit, had to go down the tubes when the Expo chain crashed just in time for Christmas, 2008. I especially miss that sparkling lamp department, staffed by a guy who knew everything about lighting and loved to share his knowledge. But I digress.

Amethyst
Old 02-06-2015, 06:39 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

i'm not surprised they're in trouble. two weeks ago, they wanted $4.5 for a micro switch. I bought 6 of them off ebay for $7 delivered.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:16 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
There's one in our town and they normally don't have what I need when I go in there. But they are next to a good liquor store, so that's convenient. DW and I have wondered for years how RS stays open.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Same here. The last half dozen times (or more) that I've gone there for something, they didn't have it, but said they could order it or get it from another store. So I just came back home and ordered from either eBay or Amazon, cheaper than what RS wanted. Since then, I simply start with eBay or Amazon, and not even bother making the trip to RS. Most others must be doing the same, because when I drive by there to go to the great little Mexican restaurant across the road, there are never any customers there. It's a fantastic, high traffic location, so the next business that goes in there should do very well, like the clothing store in the adjoining building which is always busy!
Old 02-14-2015, 06:14 PM   #54

The real reason RS is failing - They should be selling these magic directional Ethernet cables to audiophiles. Could be rolling in dough. -well maybe not.

To the audiophile, this $10,000 Ethernet cable apparently makes sense | Ars Technica
To the audiophile, this $10,000 Ethernet cable apparently makes sense

Well, this guy (link courtesy of HotHardware’s write-up) seems to be guzzling the snake oil by the liter, explaining that he heard a noticeable difference between standard Ethernet cables, lower-grade premium cables from AudioQuest, and the top-end Diamond cables. Apparently, the cheap consumer-grade Netgear Ethernet switch did nothing to degrade the performance of the incredibly expensive cables, either—so major props to Netgear for producing audiophile-approved Ethernet switches without even realizing it.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:17 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

I also read speculation that Amazon might be interested in buying some of the RS stores to serve as places to give demos/advice on some of their products (Kindle, etc), and possibly to allow drop-shipments of items from their warehouses that are too heavy to make it cost effective to send direct to the door of customers via FEDEX. That might make some sense, but most of the RS stores I've seen don't seem well situated/big enough for the later use.

Creative destruction at work . . . one of the best things about our system. But it ain't fun.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:11 PM   #56

Remember how RS used to ask for, umm, demand name and address whenever you made a purchase, even if paying with cash? Their junk mail barrage that followed encouraged me to shop elsewhere.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:15 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Remember how RS used to ask for name and address whenever you made a purchase, even if paying with cash? Their junk mail barrage that followed encouraged me to shop elsewhere.
Yes, annoying. I'm surprised you gave them the correct one, I never did. Sadly, maybe mailing their ads to bogus addresses I provided helped drive them under.

I always provide a fictional address and name for those supermarket shopper's reward/loyalty cards, etc.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:41 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Yes, annoying. I'm surprised you gave them the correct one, I never did. Sadly, maybe mailing their ads to bogus addresses I provided helped drive them under.

I always provide a fictional address and name for those supermarket shopper's reward/loyalty cards, etc.
Me too! I usually use 55 Sullivan Pl, Brooklyn NY 11225. It's easy to remember, and was the address of Ebbets Field where the Dodgers used to play. I wonder if someone gets all that junk mail I've directed there over the years.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:27 AM   #59
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post

I can't stand being asked for all that crap. Barnes and Noble seems to be the latest worst offender. Every time I go up to the register, it's:

Do you have a rewards card? No, that's okay.
Would you like to sign up for one? No, I'm fine thanks.
Would you like to give us your email address to get special offers?

NO, DAMNIT! I just want to pay for my stuff and leave!

I hate the "20 questions" routine you have to jump through with some of these stores just to pay for something and leave. Other than a CVS card they gave me once without asking any personal info, I've never had a loyalty card of any kind, and don't want one.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:07 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAspen View Post
NO, DAMNIT! I just want to pay for my stuff and leave!

I hate the "20 questions" routine you have to jump through with some of these stores just to pay for something and leave.
It annoys me a lot, too, and sometimes I am brusque with the interrogator. But, I realize it's just their job. The best way to stop it is to give them inaccurate info and let the company waste money dealing with the consequences (and, it also hurts the spammers who buy their mailing lists, etc--another public good in my book). When the practice becomes counterproductive, it will stop.
I suppose the best address and phone number to provide is some disreputable business/entity in my town. Then, they have to handle the junk mail.
Next, I need to find a good email address/target for these interrogators. Some business that could use a dose of spam, but with an email address that could reasonably belong to a private person.
My little bit to make the world a better place. . .