Join Early Retirement Today

Radio Shack to file for bankruptcy
Old 01-14-2015, 06:00 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Radio Shack to file for bankruptcy

From the WSJ:

Quote:
RadioShack Prepares Bankruptcy Filing

Struggling consumer electronics retailer RadioShack is preparing to file for bankruptcy protection as soon as next month.
The Fort Worth, Texas, company is in talks with a private-equity firm that could buy its assets out of bankruptcy, but the talks may not produce a deal, and the company may opt to pursue other debt-restructuring options that don't include a sale.
Like many, I'm amazed it took so long. One of my favorites from The Onion: Even CEO Can't Figure Out How Radio Shack Still in Business (from 2007!)

Quote:
FORT WORTH, TX—Despite having been on the job for nine months, RadioShack CEO Julian Day said Monday that he still has "no idea" how the home electronics store manages to stay open.

"There must be some sort of business model that enables this company to make money, but I'll be damned if I know what it is," Day said. "You wouldn't think that people still buy enough strobe lights and extension cords to support an entire nationwide chain, but I guess they must, or I wouldn't have this desk to sit behind all day."
. . .
One of Day's theories about RadioShack's continued solvency involves wedding DJs, emergency cord replacement, and off-brand wireless telephones. Another theory entails countless RadioShack gift cards that sit unredeemed in their recipients' wallets. Day has even conjectured that the store is "still coasting on" an enormous fortune made from remote-control toy cars in the mid-1970s.
. . .
"I once went into a RadioShack location incognito in order to gauge customer service," Day said. "It was about as inviting as a visit to the DMV. For the life of me, I couldn't see anything I wanted to buy. . . "

Hopefully they emerge and something sustainable results.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2015, 06:06 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Nooooo!!!

Now where will I go to find a complete electronic component selection contained in one single drawer!
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 06:10 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Darn! And I was about to build a crystal set.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 06:21 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Nooooo!!!

Now where will I go to find a complete electronic component selection contained in one single drawer!
Last time I was at the local radio shack , they were down to two cabinets of components, and a lot of empty spaces inside.

We have an old time electronics shop ( former TV repair place) , still has the owner at the counter. It's like a time warp , new old stock that will never sell along with some modern components, connectors, cable etc. I'm afraid when the owner dies (he owns the building , and several apt. buildings next door) it will be the end for us geeks. He will never retire.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:24 PM   #5

I still remember hanging out in Radio Shack as a kid playing with the TRS-80, eyeing the build it yourself electronics kits, and buying my first CB Radio. It was a great store for many years. Unfortunately, it's just another example of a store which didn't keep up with the times and eventually became irrelevant. I honestly can't remember the last time I've visited a store, nor can I think of anything I would ever look to a Radio Shack to purchase at this point. It's probably best if it just goes away, as I don't see them ever turning it around and becoming relevant again.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 06:32 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I've gone in a few times in the last few years to find cables and adapters to string my various old electronic devices to newer units that have different interfaces. I can always find these online, but sometimes I don't want to wait. But that's not a business model I would invest in.

As an off topic rant, Apple has completely hosed people that own older devices like my beloved iPod Classic (160GB). There is absolutely no way to bridge the old 30 pin device to the new Lightning plug, although you can sort of go the other way. I was getting a new boom box for my garage, and sometime in the last 2 years all the 30 pin units have disappeared. Everything is Lightning, and there's no way to get the Classic to play and charge on one of those. I consider it an abuse of power. </rant>
Old 01-14-2015, 06:39 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I shop there once or twice a year. The last purchases were a 2 in, 1 out HDMI splitter. Before that a RC flying drone with camera.

As a kid it was my favorite store and I bought my first computer there at 13, a TRS80 CoCo.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
AnIntentionalRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 06:39 PM   #8

Sadly, moving from their old niche market of hobbyists and enthusiasts to the general public with a tiny but confusing array of generic phones didn't turn the business around. Who would have thought it? I rarely go in there anymore as their selection is minimal and the knowledgeable sales people left long ago. It's sad that an American icon has been gutted and will likely be abandoned, ironically just as the Maker movement is picking up steam and could really use a retail source.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 06:58 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I remember years back hearing that there are more Radio Shack stores than McDonalds.

Going to their website recently, it's hard to find anything like the old Radio Shack with old electronic components, etc.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:35 PM   #10

Holy mackerel! Who's next, Sears?
Old 01-14-2015, 07:37 PM   #11

In the 40's and 50's, they used to sell Hammarlund communications receivers, and high-quality air-spaced variable capacitors by manufacturers like EF Johnson, Hammarlund etc. If only they still did........ I'd go there on a regular basis.

It wouldn't be the best business model to follow, but I'd be happier than a pig in poop

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:02 PM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
From the WSJ:

Like many, I'm amazed it took so long. One of my favorites from The Onion: Even CEO Can't Figure Out How Radio Shack Still in Business (from 2007!)
./.
Hopefully they emerge and something sustainable results.
Thanks for the link and tip. Another vote for "what took them so long". This news article from a year ago, which showed an ad from 1991, where 13 of the 15 products on sale could be had on a mobile phone, was the writing on the walls for me. Everything from 1991 Radio Shack ad I now do with my phone | Trending Buffalo
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:58 PM   #13

I went in to a RS recently to buy a HDMI cable. They wanted $40 for it. I came home and ordered one online for $3. It wasn't the same quality, but I don't use it much. Plus, I can buy a lot of replacement cables for $40.00.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:13 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
It's sad that an American icon has been gutted and will likely be abandoned, ironically just as the Maker movement is picking up steam and could really use a retail source.
Yep, the Arduino et al are natural follow-ons to much of the stuff RS sold in past decades. But, it's hard to see why customers would go there when no in-store salesperson is likely to be as smart as a group of online users. And available 24-7. With videos.

Still, with the gripes we all have with our laptops and software, with our smart phones, with our tablets--and much of it demands a hands-on and face-to-face help, it's hard to believe they can't find some way to make a buck. "Here's my Android. Let's talk about what I'd like to do with it. Show me how to . . ."

I used to love RS. I'll bet I've still got a Battery Card somewhere. There, and Lafayette Electronics, were places that got tired of seeing me.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:21 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I stopped going when they got so pushy about giving them your address and phone number. It was always tough to check out in a timely manner.

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:51 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I've gone in a few times in the last few years to find cables and adapters to string my various old electronic devices to newer units that have different interfaces. I can always find these online, but sometimes I don't want to wait. But that's not a business model I would invest in.

As an off topic rant, Apple has completely hosed people that own older devices like my beloved iPod Classic (160GB). There is absolutely no way to bridge the old 30 pin device to the new Lightning plug, although you can sort of go the other way. I was getting a new boom box for my garage, and sometime in the last 2 years all the 30 pin units have disappeared. Everything is Lightning, and there's no way to get the Classic to play and charge on one of those. I consider it an abuse of power. </rant>
Harley, I have a ton of old 30 pin devices, I picked up some wires for them at home depot, I have lightning to 30 pin adapters, what specifically can't you do that I'm missing, because I haven't had any trouble and I have ~9 i-devices spanning a decade in my family of 5 (two ipod touch 1st generation, three Ipad 2s, Iphone 5, Iphone 6....etc.)
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 06:20 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurence View Post
Harley, I have a ton of old 30 pin devices, I picked up some wires for them at home depot, I have lightning to 30 pin adapters, what specifically can't you do that I'm missing, because I haven't had any trouble and I have ~9 i-devices spanning a decade in my family of 5 (two ipod touch 1st generation, three Ipad 2s, Iphone 5, Iphone 6....etc.)
I can't find a way to put a Classic on a boom box that has a Lightning plug dock, and get it to play music. There are plenty of Lightning male to 30-pin female adapters, but I've only found one (Chinese made, no name) Lightning female to 30-pin male adapter, and while it will charge the iPod from the boom box dock it won't play the music. According to the various forums I've read Apple did something to change the way the music gets to the boom box from the device (Bluetooth maybe?). I've talked to Apple techs and they all just say buy a newer device. But I love my old 160GB Classic. I've got over 60GB of music on there, and they don't make anything now with anywhere near the capacity.

If you have a way to get this to work, I'd love to hear it. I can always plug the Classic into a box with the earphone jack, but then I have to recharge externally. Very annoying.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:44 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

It's always sad when a business goes under, even more so for one that's been around for longer than I have. But I've been to RS stores for a few minor electronic parts from time to time, and like others I am surprised they lasted this long. Hopefully separated employees land on their feet soon.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 08:12 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I still stop by our local Radio Shack once or twice a year. Now I'll admit, it's in a small town of only about 7500 people, but I can't remember ever seeing another customer in the store. I often wondered how they kept the store opened. I guess there goes another business and a couple of jobs for this little town. Population has dropped by about 10% in the past ten years.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 08:15 AM   #20

I rarely went into RS. But last week, I was looking for an antennae for my ancient radio/receiver. They showed that they had it online for about $8. So, I called the store and I was not surprised it was not in stock (it has to be a very slow selling item). Going back online, I was going to have it delivered to the store. I was surprised when there was no way to do that. So, I stated another search and found it on Ebay for under $4 and free delivery. RS does/did not seem to consider customer service in a way other retailers do.

Like Midpack, I hope the employees land on their feet. One would think, if a person does lose their job, this at least would be seem like a better time than a few years ago.
savory is online now   Reply With Quote