Rags to Rich stories ...

robnplunder

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Would love to hear your own rags to rich stories. It'd be inspiring for others dreaming of FIRE. It's your chance to boast :).

Would love to hear your own rags to rich stories. It'd be inspiring for others dreaming of FIRE. It's your chance to boast :).

I never made it to riches, but I remember heating cans of beans up on a steam radiator in a run down flat.

Still wearing rags... :cool:

Yep, me too. I like my old jeans and tee shirts. Don't think I'd be mistaken for homeless, yet.

In regard to things we used did to survive. The one that comes to mind was lunches. For a couple of years DW and I would pack braunschweiger and onion sandwiches for lunch. Neither one of us really liked it, but it was the cheapest thing we could find to eat. Haven't had any since that time, maybe a roll might find its way home. It might be a eye - opener.
MRG

Started with nothing. Still got most of it left.

CTO for a startup in 1995, employee #3. By 1999 my share was close to 5 million based on what we received in mezzanine financing. After the .com bubble burst I sold my stock for 200k.

Riches to rags.

Last edited:
As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be a gangster...

I suspect most of the stories on here would be-

-Learned a useful skill/trade/profession/etc.
-W#rked hard
-LBYM
-Disciplined savings
-Invested well

When I were a kid, there were a hundred and fifty of us living in t' shoebox in t' middle o' road..................................

I have moved up the wealth distribution curve, but "rich"always seems to be "twice what I have".
Not all that wear rags find riches, but for those who do, it seems to be a three generations cycle.

http://www.oxfordreference.com/view/10.1093/oi/authority.20110803095618608
https://www.corpmagazine.com/specia...-sleeves-to-shirt-sleeves-in-three-generation

I don't expect to pass on wealth to a second generation, having no kids, and I never received any myself. Someone or group will get my remainder.

The problem I see with the first generation up the latter is; the spending down of assets made during a life of building up, feels like failure for a reward. Need to figure this part out during my retirement.

This post may be deleted, proves I have fat fingers

We know lots couples our age with similar jobs who have significant job and money worries, so I think the bottom line really for us just has to be a LBYM lifestyle.

We have close friends (people we met outside of work) who also retired early and probably made half of what a lot of our former co-workers made, so the difference really is not so much in what they made in income but what they saved from what they made. The people who had modest incomes retired to a resort area and spend all their free time on travel, clubs and volunteer work. Many of the former co-workers who made more are still working, hate their jobs, and are worried about getting outsourced.

Last edited:
As a kid we were so poor, only the boys had anything to play with.

...I was born a poor black boy.....

the-jerk-poster.jpg

Another rag to riches to rags story....

I suspect most of the stories on here would be-

-Learned a useful skill/trade/profession/etc.
-W#rked hard
-LBYM
-Disciplined savings
-Invested well

Well that would be a boring story

Sent from my HTC One using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

What? You didn't share with the girls? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

:D

Where I grew up, all the toys are made up ones out of whatever were lying around. Girls and boys had equal opportunity to grab and make whatever they want to make. It made the kids to be creative :).

Started working for an employee owned company 23+ years ago and never guessed we would retire early. About 10 years ago stock exploded and we realized we probably would be able to retire early. When we retire early next year we will basically triple our yearly salary via a 72t taking 3% a year. We are truly blessed

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom