Join Early Retirement Today
Old 04-25-2008, 08:22 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Atlanta and other parts of Ga and the south have been under drought or near drought conditions since early last year. So far my strategy has worked...I cut off the bottom of my down spouts on the back of my house and attached black corrugated drainage pipe which I run to the pool about 12 ft away. I use the rain water to fill the pool. To fill the pond, I place a bucket on the steps of the pool and drain the pipe from the down spout into it. Inside the bucket I placed a sump pump which I drain into the pond. We will be able to water plants later in the year by using the sump pump to pump water from the pool. I use a mineralizer in the pool so I don't use alot of chlorine that would harm plants. This works great as long as we get a bit of rain.

jimnjana is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2008, 08:42 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets
I've looked into a rain barrel. They actually make ones that are hermetic (air tight). This prevents those nasty little bugs from getting in there. You can even have a spout on the barrel to get the water out without opening or moving the rain barrel.

Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Are skeeters an issue where you are? there's a little fish called Gambusia Mosquitofish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia that loves to eat skeeter larvae and may be worth the investment along with the $5-10 for a 55 drum.

StJohnsWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 09:24 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
what a crock of @#%? nonsense ...

I have to agree with you about it being nonsense but the same rule is in effect in some parts of Australia. They consider that by you collecting the water you are preventing it running off into the public water collection system so therefore you are cheating them and owe them financial recompense. It so stupid that one should be punished because of actions taken to be self sufficient.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 12:28 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I live in an area with abundant rainfall so the municipalities don't want us to dispose of storm water off site, but I do understand the position of communities where storm water is precious. Potable water is becoming a major issue because some watersheds are drying up.

About 10 years ago the graduation speaker at Cal Maritime predicted that tankers hauling fresh water would be the wave of the future.
Duck bjorn.
Brat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 12:57 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
About 10 years ago the graduation speaker at Cal Maritime predicted that tankers hauling fresh water would be the wave of the future.
I've thought about that.......

Here in the Chicago area, property on Lake Michigan is very, very expensive and typically occupied by either commercial buildings or mansions. Those folks seem to have political pull (can you imagine that?) and we tax payers wind up paying for a lot of wave erosion control to ensure their pretty private lakefront stays that way. But what if we need to share Great Lakes water with the rest of the country or the world and the lake level drops? Will tax payers get stuck for the bill of compensating the mansion dwellers because they now live several hundred yards from the water where they used to live right on the water?

Anyway....... I agree that while fossil fuels, especially oil, are our current focus, shortages of basics like food and fresh water are just around the corner. Another doubling of the world's population should do it!

"I wasn't born blue blood. I was born blue-collar." John Wort Hannam
youbet is offline   Reply With Quote