Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Rain Barrel Install - Has anyone done this?
Old 07-03-2019, 08:35 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Rain Barrel Install - Has anyone done this?

We are thinking of installing a rain barrel. However we are not looking to have a traditional Gutter pipe directly into the barrel. We want to use a rain Diverter. Specifically the one in the photo. There are quite a few on the market but we only want the one in photo.

This post is directed specifically to those that use the diverter shown. The things we are interested in are:

What is the typical throughput?
Will it take forever to fill a 65 Gallon Barrel?

We get a lot of rain and wondered how long it would take to fill.

Thanks for any input you can provide.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 61+eGpkYHaL._SX679_.jpg (17.3 KB, 35 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2019, 08:41 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Try this:

https://greywateraction.org/faq/how-...-from-my-roof/
Lawrencewendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 08:50 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrencewendall View Post
I am confused how is that relevant to the diverter valve I am going to use? This calculation is for a roof with a regular open downspout.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:52 AM   #4
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
We are thinking of installing a rain barrel. However we are not looking to have a traditional Gutter pipe directly into the barrel. We want to use a rain Diverter. Specifically the one in the photo. There are quite a few on the market but we only want the one in photo.

This post is directed specifically to those that use the diverter shown. The things we are interested in are:

What is the typical throughput?
Will it take forever to fill a 65 Gallon Barrel?

We get a lot of rain and wondered how long it would take to fill.

Thanks for any input you can provide.
I have one of these diverting to a barrel from a small garage roof downpipe and it fills the barrel with every decent rainfall. Key thing is the size of the roof feeding the diverter. I use mine all the time to water the flowers. Worth cleaning the diverter each spring to keep the flow going.
spender400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:00 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spender400 View Post
I have one of these diverting to a barrel from a small garage roof downpipe and it fills the barrel with every decent rainfall. Key thing is the size of the roof feeding the diverter. I use mine all the time to water the flowers. Worth cleaning the diverter each spring to keep the flow going.
That is great thank you. We have a 2500sq ft roof with about 1200sq ft feeding the downpipe this will be installed in. So I am assuming by your input that the flow is quite good on this fitting when it is clean.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:29 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
I am confused how is that relevant to the diverter valve I am going to use? This calculation is for a roof with a regular open downspout.

You asked

"Will it take forever to fill a 65 Gallon Barrel?

We get a lot of rain and wondered how long it would take to fill."

With a 1200sq ft source and a look at the average rainfall for your area, you can calculate how long it will take.

https://www.wunderground.com/history/monthly
Lawrencewendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:28 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I did not use the same diverter you showed, but one that I installed into the downspout and it diverted rain in my rain barrel. I connected 3 barrels together, each was 50 gallons. It take roughly 1 inch of rain to fill all barrels, which meant that all my barrels usually filled at the first storm. And since it had rained, I didn't need the water at that time.

I found after 4 years or having the rain barrels, I used the water in April or May to water my newly planted vegetable garden and deep water the citrus and trees. We had enough rain in the winter also I never used the water during that season.

I just removed them and gave them to someone who will connect them to their washing machine. They just didn't work well for my situation.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote