Join Early Retirement Today

Raising the Costa Concordia
Old 03-09-2013, 07:39 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Raising the Costa Concordia

Make no small plans.

Plan To Salvage Costa Concordia Wreck - Business Insider

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2013, 08:05 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Went on our first cruise two weeks after that happened - we probably had the best attended life boat drill ever.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:22 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I went on a cruise the very day the Costa Concordia went down. It was a different cruise line (Celebrity) but I was not impressed with the drill. We were all assembled in indoor public areas and watched a video in English only, at eye level, which was not helpful if you were small or non English speaking. Being neither, it was not clear to me exactly where I should go in an emergency. I was not the only person who was confused and I suspect there would have been chaos in a real emergency. I did check out the lifeboats afterwards and planned an escape route.

This was in contrast with my only previous cruising experience on Royal Caribbean in 2003, when everyone was on deck, putting on life jackets and doing simulations. I felt much tester prepared after that drill.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:34 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Many years ago DW treated me to a cruise, in the Caribbean. Can't remember the name of the ship or the cruise line.

They did a good muster on decks in assigned locations with life jackets donned by all passengers and crew. While milling about after the drill, I asked the 2nd officer who happened to come by, if the they do routine lifeboat drills. He answered, of course sir.

I did not know if it is true for the routine part, but after we pulled into St Thomas, lo and behold the re was an announcement over the PA that There will be a lifeboat drill for the crew only, passengers are excluded.

Mind you when I w*rked on a research ship, we had a life boat drill for all hands within half hour of casting off. Every time we left port. Sometimes heaved to in the middle of whatever ocean and had life boat drills. Even had one north of Jan Mayen in the Arctic ocean among the icebergs, and had dory races too. Dories were the lifeboats on our ship.

I was interested, so along with many others watched them give the signal, crew made their way to the davits holding the life boats. Given the groaning an creaking of rusty pulley and cables to me it was obvious this was anything but routine.

The exercise looked like the finest example of Chinese fire drill.

Several lifeboats were hanging askew, hatches were stuck closed, about half the lifeboat's enggines took more 20 minutes to crank to life. Three failed to start altogether. Most had great difficulty disconnecting from the lowering hooks. This was in a perfectly calm bay, no wind or other interfering urgency like a sinking mother ship.

The recovery was even more comical. Stationkeeping of the lifeboats was pretty bad, had a hard time getting them hooked up, and among great noise, creaking and groaning, they were hoisted up then stowed and locked in place. I did not pay attention to weather they repaired any found issues. After all I was on a cruise.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:40 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I'm a sucker for disasters, so I have checked the live feeds a couple of times today. As it is now the middle of the night in Italy, most of them are off. Below is an active one, with periodic updates. They have now rotated the ship ~2/3 of the required 62 degrees; 30 degrees to go, and the starboard bridge wing is surfacing. The engineers reported that it is now going faster as the water filled sponsons on the port side are providing gravity. It's very interesting to compare a picture of the original ship with what is emerging from the water. The starboard (right) side has two large indentations. From what I can see on the video, the bow and most of the ship's hull is still below the waterline. The first thing they plan to do once the ship is vertical is to search for the two missing bodies. They also expect to find tons of rotting food. That would not be a nice j*b! But I'm sure the engineers are in their element.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...B_2109037b.jpg

Costa Concordia: Live video of the massive salvage operation | National Post
Old 09-16-2013, 07:51 PM   #6

They're making good progress, based on the live video.

omni
Old 09-16-2013, 08:15 PM   #7
Administrator

Very interesting. Thanks for the link, Meadbh.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:25 PM   #8

Thanks for posting the link. I was looking at it yesterday and they seem to have made quite a bit of progress today. Such a tragedy.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:44 PM   #9

Wow, what a major undertaking to raise this ship.

The video is interesting to see.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:59 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Looks upright now. Well done to the engineers! Next steps will take weeks.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:15 AM   #11

Wow, the timelapse footage and photographs are incredible. What an amazing engineering feat that has been. Thanks for posting!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:47 AM   #12

CBS TV coverage with good video of ship in the upright and locked position.
Costa Concordia pulled completely upright off Italy - CBS News
Old 09-17-2013, 11:14 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Very cool and interesting...thanks for posting. Was there a hull breach? I imagine they needed to deal with that before getting it upright?
Old 09-17-2013, 11:20 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for posting this! Quite a feat of engineering.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:31 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bltkmt View Post
Very cool and interesting...thanks for posting. Was there a hull breach? I imagine they needed to deal with that before getting it upright?
If you google "Costa Concordia hull breach" you will see many photos of the big gash in the port (left) side of the hull, the one that was facing up before the wreck was parbuckled. In fact you can see a rock stuck in the breach. This breach took place when the ship first sailed past Giglio and hit a rock, which the captain claimed was uncharted (despite the fact that the ancient Romans and Greeks were sailing around the Mediterranean in the BC era). The ship was turned around before sinking (the Wikipedia entry has a nice diagram). The breach in the hull was too big to fix. This ship will not float on her own. Hence the sponsons.

This is certainly going to be the subject of a documentary some day soon.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:38 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the video. It's amazing that they can reclaim a ship that big.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:45 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bltkmt View Post
I finally found this graphic from last year, which you may find helpful.

The Costa Concordia’s final moments | National Post
Old 09-18-2013, 10:48 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Very interesting, thanks.