Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-02-2008, 12:47 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Well, I've seen it. That's the best I can say about it.

I think the body-count reviewers had to exert max effort, even more than RIII, to glean their numbers from frame-by-frame inspection or the script. It's also hard to decide between "wounded, might make it" and "no hope".

However the ordnance and special-effects budgets seem to have set new all-time highs.

Although Rambo seems pretty handy, he never got behind the steering wheel. Maybe his license expired, but I can't remember any of the movies actually showing him driving a vehicle. I'm going to have to recheck my memory someday.

I am not a fan of Regal Entertainment's pre-movie distractions shifting from a slideshow to a video. It felt like watching TV commercials in a bar, only without the entertaining patrons or booze or cheap food. I can get as much of that as I want at home for free, and with less advertising. If all movie theaters go this way then I'm done with them.

The movie set new standards (high or low depends on your definition but either way it's definitely past six standard deviations from the center of the bell curve) for gore and gruesomeness, starting with actual film clips of the genocide being carried out by Burma's "leadership". The CGI pales in comparison to the reality.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2008, 12:56 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Interesting that both Stallone and Chuck Norris are not very tall. Norris used to (have no idea now) live in Houston. Son and I shook hands and talked with him at a karate school opening. I'm only 5'4" and he wasn't very tall (5'8-1/2" according to his bio on the net, but I would say more like 5'7"). Nice down to earth type, tho. So much for the big bruisers making it as macho stars, eh?

Old 02-02-2008, 01:52 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
The movie set new standards (high or low depends on your definition but either way it's definitely past six standard deviations from the center of the bell curve) for gore and gruesomeness, starting with actual film clips of the genocide being carried out by Burma's "leadership". The CGI pales in comparison to the reality.
I've read a lot of reviews on this movie - I use ROTTEN TOMATOES: Movies - New Movie Reviews and Previews! One aspect that interests me is that none of the reviews focus on Sly's attempt to bring some attention to the Burma genocide. I think it is because Sly is thought to be some sort of right winger. If he was preceived as a lefty the movie might have gotten better reviews. Maybe he should have set the movie Darfar. The media seems to favor those who highlight what is going on there.

I do think the ending leaves open the possibility of another Rambo set in Arizona. Maybe he will take on the evil government of Walmart and their attempt to open a store next to his farm and the people he is trying to save are from Green Peace.