Join Early Retirement Today

Random co-incidence, cranky neighbor and thorn bushes
Old 08-14-2013, 03:10 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Random co-incidence, cranky neighbor and thorn bushes

Got a fair size of back yard in which I have been carving out a mountain bike trail. Neighbor to the north has always seemed like a cranky old geez, must be 95-100 yrs old, bitching and moaning about the condition of my back yard. Unlike me, mr. congeniality.

Meanwhile, he's let this seriously obnoxious weedy thorn creature grow along our shared fence until it is about 15-20' tall, 20-30' long and 10' into my yard from the ground up. So I need to do something to keep from getting shredded every time I lap around this section.

This AM had a tree trimmer give me an estimate to cut it back to the fence and do some other stuff around to clean things up. Scheduled to start tomorrow. Then, a couple of hours later, a totally different tree guy, local fellow usually does our work but different from the one we hired this time, calls to ask if he can get into our yard as the neighbor has hired him to cut down the thorn bush.

31 yrs this nasty thing has been trying to engulf my yard. And the same day, he finally decides to cut it? Well, knock yourself out. Save me a few $$. Weird timing, maybe one of us is psychic, or who knows.

Anyway, once the coast is clearer, need to get a tractor to scrap a smoother path as the gophers have created a 18 million hole golf course and the dirt mounds from that have petrified into the bumpiest bike path around.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2013, 11:59 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ahhhh! The joys of land ownership! Lived on a small farm (cash rented to a real farmer) but had over an acre I had to "defend" against weeds, tornadoes (really!!) thorns/thistles, ground hogs, raccoons, ground squirrels, and the occasional bovine who made it through the farmer's electric fence. Add "country property" to the long list of things that fit the "best and worst days of your life adage." Traded all that for a nice 1/5 acre lot in the city which was only better because it was smaller (and there were no cows - everything else was still an issue!) Since retiring, we have either rented or lived "condo life". Still, every once in a while I get the lust for land. It must be a part of the human condition YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Since retiring, we have either rented or lived "condo life". Still, every once in a while I get the lust for land. It must be a part of the human condition YMMV
I go back and forth on it sometimes. Right now, I have 4 1/4 acres. It's mostly woods though, so I only have to mow maybe 1 1/4 at best. Sometimes I'd like to just give it up and move to something more low-maintenance, but then I think I'd hate having neighbors right on top of me.

I've cut a few trails in the woods, and they seem to be fairly self-sustaining. Couple foot-bridges across the creek. The only down-side is that I have to drive the tractor up the neighbor's driveway to get the tractor to the back part of the property and cut the small field back there. But, the neighbors are cool, and we actually have deeded access to use that driveway. It wanders a bit, and the bridge where it crosses the creek is partly on our land.

I'd love to just let that back field grow up, but it doesn't take that long to cut. Maybe a half hour. It's about 300 feet long, and width varies from maybe 50-80 feet. And, the neighbors appreciate the fact that I keep it cut.

I have let parts of the front of the yard grow up though, along one side and down along the road, to help give some privacy. But, I know that one day, I'll be too old to tend to it all.
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:06 PM   #4

So your neighbor saw the guy you had do the estimate, and figured you'd screw the job up and make a mess of it.

He thought "If you're going to do something, do it right (meaning MY WAY)" and decided to take the job out of your hands to frustrate you.

Sometimes cranky isn't really so bad, if you can interpret it to mean perfectionist.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:22 PM   #5
Administrator

I think your neighbor really works for one of those security agencies, your house is bugged, and this is his way of letting you know.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Ahhhh! The joys of land ownership! Lived on a small farm (cash rented to a real farmer)
Had the back leased out to a landscape nursery for several years. A little cash flow and no maintenance. Ahhh! The good old days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
So your neighbor saw the guy you had do the estimate, and figured you'd screw the job up and make a mess of it.
I think one of us got messed up. Saw a worker headed back with a gigantic pipe wrench. Don't know yet which side of the fence he ended up on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I think your neighbor really works for one of those security agencies, your house is bugged, and this is his way of letting you know.
I'd have served my sentence and be out on parole a long time ago if that was the case.

On the bright side, dragging out all that thicket smoothed out a 300' straightway on my new bike path. All those thorns are better than a tractor scraper.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:03 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

He is doing something nice. I would just say thank you, it might improve the relationship.
FreeAtLast is offline   Reply With Quote