Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Random pix in my computer files
Old 10-24-2013, 10:04 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,988
Random pix in my computer files

I am running "Windows 7 Home Premium" on my desktop PC.

As I was searching for a certain digital photo in my files this morning, I noticed that there are TONS of all sorts of random images in "Pictures" on my computer. Many of these look like avatars or pix from facebook or some other random image that may have been on a site that I read. Some, when I click on them, don't even exhibit as images...just a lot of jumbled "geek speak" (alphanumeric commands and descriptions).

I certainly did not intentionally save these nor do I want them residing on my computer taking up space. Further, I'm perplexed as to how they got there in the first place.

I am wondering if there's some setting I need to change to get these images to not download onto my computer. Any ideas?

omni
__________________

__________________
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2013, 10:14 AM   #2
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,950
I am not geeky enough to know why this happened, but if it was me the first thing I would do is download and run the free version of Malwarebytes.
__________________

__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:31 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Just North of Boston
Posts: 522
what directory are they in? When browsers read a page they store all the images in a cache on your local disk so the next time you go to the page it loads faster. if the files are in a "system" directory, that is probably the case.
__________________
ChiliPepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:12 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPepr View Post
what directory are they in? When browsers read a page they store all the images in a cache on your local disk so the next time you go to the page it loads faster. if the files are in a "system" directory, that is probably the case.

C: --> Users --> (omni's computer) --> My Pictures
__________________
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:57 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Just North of Boston
Posts: 522
those are not system cache file...I am assuming you did not change your cache directory, so you should feel free to delete all you want. If they should up again, let me know what browser you are using and I will see if I can come up with any other ideas.
__________________
ChiliPepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:22 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Lsbcal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: west coast, hi there!
Posts: 5,699
You might look at the dates on these to get a hint as to their source. Perhaps you have an application that is saving these to that folder?

If they are recent, you might monitor when another shows up and the timing relative to your PC activities.
__________________
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:25 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPepr View Post
those are not system cache file...I am assuming you did not change your cache directory, so you should feel free to delete all you want. If they should up again, let me know what browser you are using and I will see if I can come up with any other ideas.

In true LBYM style, I purchased this PC as a "floor model" from Costco. I later added Windows 7.

I never (knowingly) changed any cache directories.

I am using Firefox.

omni
__________________
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:27 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
target2019's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,710
If you sort by date, files from a certain date group together. If they are saved seconds apart, it seems possible you saved a web page, and associated images are found there.
__________________
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:29 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
target2019's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post

In true LBYM style, I purchased this PC as a "floor model" from Costco. I later added Windows 7.

I never (knowingly) changed any cache directories.

I am using Firefox.

omni
Create a new user, and begin from there. Delete previous user accounts after you are sure.
__________________
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:38 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 1,878
check the time stamp on files to see when they were created. If they are recent and you didn't do it then some process is doing it for you. Do you have any screen saver or theme installed. Are you plugging in a usb device like a camera or something with pics on it ?

Monitor the folder with some software to check on new files created and try to correlate it something you are running. FolderChangesView - Monitor folder/drive/files changes on Windows
__________________
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:02 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
check the time stamp on files to see when they were created. If they are recent and you didn't do it then some process is doing it for you. Do you have any screen saver or theme installed. Are you plugging in a usb device like a camera or something with pics on it ?

Monitor the folder with some software to check on new files created and try to correlate it something you are running. FolderChangesView - Monitor folder/drive/files changes on Windows

I checked several random pix and they seem to have a very similar time "Tuesday, ‎September ‎03, ‎2013, ‏‎2:11:32 PM"...some had 2:11:33 or 2:11:34. Several pix had 2 or 3 copies. These are random avatars from facebook, the "a with a smiley" (3 copies thereof!) from amazon, etc.

I am not plugging in any usb with pics on it into the computer.

I will run the software at link you provided and see what happens. Thx.

omni
__________________
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:03 AM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Ed_The_Gypsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: the City of Subdued Excitement
Posts: 5,293
I had a thought.

Do you have an Android phone? Do you 'synch' it with your PC?

I did that once. I got bits and pieces of images I had never seen before, both in the PC Pictures file and on the Galaxy 2s Gallery. Hard to get rid of on the phone.
__________________
my bumpersticker:
"I am not in a hurry.
I am retired.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:53 AM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
I had a thought.

Do you have an Android phone? Do you 'synch' it with your PC?

I did that once. I got bits and pieces of images I had never seen before, both in the PC Pictures file and on the Galaxy 2s Gallery. Hard to get rid of on the phone.

I do have an Android phone.

I have my gmail account set up to sync with PC and smartphone.

I don't think I have anything else set up to sync. (I do email (to my gmail account) certain pix from my phone to get them into my PC.)

I'll poke around a bit on my phone and see if there are any random images there.

omni
__________________

__________________
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:06 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.