Range Extender Shopping

sengsational

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
This could go in the travel (camping) forum, but I figured it's safer here in "other".

I'm going camping and we have an outdoor karaoke thing planned. The problem is that the place where we'll gather (let's call it the "venue") is just a bit too far from the place where the cable comes in, and where the wifi router is.

So, not having ever had any experience with range extenders, I wanted to know, could I just drag an extension cord about halfway between where the wifi router is and the venue? (and plug-in the extender there and try to keep it dry). Obviously the repeater needs to be within range of the source wifi router. I know that signal does extend some distance outside.

There will not be a lot of 2.4Ghz traffic, I don't suppose, so getting one with 5GHz probably isn't that important. And not too many devices will be on it.

Anybody have real-world outdoor wifi range extension experience?

This could go in the travel (camping) forum, but I figured it's safer here in "other".

I'm going camping and we have an outdoor karaoke thing planned. The problem is that the place where we'll gather (let's call it the "venue") is just a bit too far from the place where the cable comes in, and where the wifi router is.

So, not having ever had any experience with range extenders, I wanted to know, could I just drag an extension cord about halfway between where the wifi router is and the venue? (and plug-in the extender there and try to keep it dry). Obviously the repeater needs to be within range of the source wifi router. I know that signal does extend some distance outside.

There will not be a lot of 2.4Ghz traffic, I don't suppose, so getting one with 5GHz probably isn't that important. And not too many devices will be on it.

Anybody have real-world outdoor wifi range extension experience?
If your dragging an extension cord, why not drag an ethernet cable as well. (the typical range before repeaters or hubs is 100 m). You could tape the two cables together for the event. If you need more than 100m you could put a switch and connect to cable segments. Then plug the ethernet cable into a wifi device near the performers.

I am a little out of date but when I researched this for a non-profit I volunteer with about a year ago I came up with:

NETGEAR AC1200 High Power 700mW Dual Band Wi-Fi Range Extender - Desktop with 5 Ports (EX6200)

If your dragging an extension cord, why not drag an ethernet cable as well. (the typical range before repeaters or hubs is 100 m). You could tape the two cables together for the event. If you need more than 100m you could put a switch and connect to cable segments. Then plug the ethernet cable into a wifi device near the performers.
I had thought of that, but I don't have a long ethernet cable. I suppose I could go out an buy a cable, but I already have an extension cord ;) But this might be a workable idea since I could take my wifi router from home along with a long (100m is plenty) Ethernet cable (I'd need to buy), plus my existing extension cord.

I am a little out of date but when I researched this for a non-profit I volunteer with about a year ago I came up with:

NETGEAR AC1200 High Power 700mW Dual Band Wi-Fi Range Extender - Desktop with 5 Ports (EX6200)
Thanks. That is indeed a good one, from what I can tell. The AC1200 standard is apparently the best. I figure N600 might even be good enough. A little spendy for my one-time use, though. I've already spent too much on this hare-brained idea, lol!

Why do you need wi-fi for kareoke? Couldn't you download the songs to local storage?

-ERD50

You can also get an external antenna for you laptop that connects to USB and will find distant wifi signals. We used it when our internet went out and we piggybacked on the neighbors wifi.
Example

Did a bit more checking, many recommend one stay under 85 m on one cable run. Note that an ethernet switch which can run from $20 to the sky will extend the range. Cables seem to run about $30 for 300 ft on amazon. But I suspect if you call a local computer store they could make a cable for you
BTW what is the total distance involved?

Yes, the distance is important. If you have to run cords/cables an option is PoE ( power over Ethernet ). Get a PoE switch and Access Point and run the ethernet cable between them. There are inexpensive versions of these like TP-Link

A good outdoor repeater can get pricey but it might be what you are trying to do

https://www.repeaterstore.com/collections/wifi/products/hawking-how2r1

Thanks for the ideas. I have my home router and a 75 foot cat5 cable. I think the signal is there, just not good enough, so that might do it. That wifi thing you put on your laptop would have worked, I bet.

Downloading a karaoke library that would be big enough isn't really an option. As to why karaoke in the first place, lol, you have a point!

You can also get an external antenna for you laptop that connects to USB and will find distant wifi signals. We used it when our internet went out and we piggybacked on the neighbors wifi.
Example
This. I have owned 3 myself during my worldwide travels. However, don't buy the one in that picture! It doesn't work that great.

For a range extender connected to your laptop, it will work much better when the issue is distance and not geometry. If it's just distance with close to line of sight, it will extend your range a LOT. For geometry issues, you just have to try it out although there is always an improvement.

I found owning one of these indispensable for my long term travels.

I mentioned in a different thread that I'd gotten a good improvement for what I needed in my home wi-fi setup. I relocated this year to a home that is just what I was looking for after finally getting to the ER finish line. I can't say it's my Dream Home (I think W2R gets that honor), but it's just fine for me for now. Like the song says, this rover's crossed over to the sunny side of the street. :cool:

The first attempt at wi-fi setup worked well, with the Internet hookup in a lower level along with the desktop PC (used only when needed) and router in the same office. There are outdoor living areas (decks) with great views of the surrounding scenery but initially the wi-fi range didn't quite cut it. The signal was weak outside or non-existent.

I'd thought of several convoluted Rube Goldberg-ish solutions, then learned that a good thing to try would be a range extender. I came across this one in a search on the e-r.org forum. Not exactly the same (different model, EX6150), but same high-level number and manufacturer.

It's very compact and plugs right into an available wall socket, worked perfectly with the existing setup. It has handy lights to help in determining optimal placement in the target location. Perfect! (and more confirmation that this joint is a great resource...)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom