Join Early Retirement Today

Rant: Cost of Stimulus Payment
Old 03-26-2008, 02:33 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Rant: Cost of Stimulus Payment

There is no end to the cost of this stimulus check. I really wish they had just kept the money and paid down the deficit.

How much is it going to cost for all that IRS labor and overhead for the new government program below!!!

March 29 - A day of help for millions filing returns solely to obtain stimulus payments
Are you one of millions of Americans who need to file a tax return this year solely to obtain your economic stimulus payment? The IRS has set aside Saturday, March 29 as "Super Saturday," a day of help just for you!
Approximately 320 IRS offices will provide free help preparing a simple 1040A for people who are filing solely to receive their stimulus payment. In addition hundreds of IRS partners will be opening their doors on that day offering free help too.
Most individuals do not have to do anything special this year to receive their payment. However, many Social Security, Veterans' and Railroad Retirement benefits recipients, and low-income workers who don’t normally need to file a tax return will need to file one for 2007 to receive a stimulus payment.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2008, 02:40 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm sure glad I won't have to give up my Saturday. I'm already scheduled to be stimulated As a side note, why is it that some of the politicians who think tax cuts are evil, voted wholehartedly for the stimulus package which is, in effect, a one-time tax cut?:confused:
Old 03-26-2008, 02:47 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I got my letter yesterday (finally!). Even though I had read about it on the board, I have to admit that my heart skipped a beat and I wondered if it was some sort of audit notification. Thank goodness it wasn't.

I read the letter and it said NOTHING new.

OK, IRS guys, I want my money!!! $$$$$ No more letters. Cough it up.

Gimme. I Want2Retire so pardon the greed.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 02:50 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Wow, in addition to the $41,000,000 that it cost the IRS to send us all a letter telling us what we already knew, this is turning out to be your usual federal government boondoggle.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 02:58 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

As t o why everyone went along with it in Congress: bread and circuses, baby.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 03:28 PM   #6
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40 View Post
There is no end to the cost of this stimulus check. I really wish they had just kept the money and paid down the deficit.

How much is it going to cost for all that IRS labor and overhead for the new government program below!!!

March 29 - A day of help for millions filing returns solely to obtain stimulus payments
Are you one of millions of Americans who need to file a tax return this year solely to obtain your economic stimulus payment? The IRS has set aside Saturday, March 29 as "Super Saturday," a day of help just for you!
Approximately 320 IRS offices will provide free help preparing a simple 1040A for people who are filing solely to receive their stimulus payment. In addition hundreds of IRS partners will be opening their doors on that day offering free help too.
Most individuals do not have to do anything special this year to receive their payment. However, many Social Security, Veterans' and Railroad Retirement benefits recipients, and low-income workers who don’t normally need to file a tax return will need to file one for 2007 to receive a stimulus payment.

If you are too stupid to do your own taxes you do not deserve any extra cash from Washington.
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Wow, in addition to the $41,000,000 that it cost the IRS to send us all a letter telling us what we already knew, this is turning out to be your usual federal government boondoggle.
Politicians buying votes at a high price to taxpayers in the future.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:17 PM   #8
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat44 View Post
Politicians buying votes at a high price to taxpayers in the future.
Ain't it a shame that the morons of the country well.... Buy the cr@p our politicians throw at them!!??
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 05:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888 View Post
If you are too stupid to do your own taxes you do not deserve any extra cash from Washington.
That's exactly the type they WANT to have the stimulus checks, they will spend it immediately.

Not do what some of us dorks are going to do - save or invest.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888 View Post

Wow Newguy you been a bit feisty lately.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 10:26 PM   #11

Ya, Warren Buffet and others like him must be really stupid because they don't do their own taxes. Great logic.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:34 AM   #12

And the cost keeps mounting...

Stimulus Payment Keeps IRS Busy

Washington, D.C. ( April 8, 2008 )
By WebCPA staff

The Internal Revenue Service has been getting an average of more than 50,000 extra phone calls per day as a result of questions about the economic stimulus payment, and has received 379,000 tax returns from individuals filing solely to receive the stimulus payment.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankster View Post
As a side note, why is it that some of the politicians who think tax cuts are evil, voted wholehartedly for the stimulus package which is, in effect, a one-time tax cut?:confused:
The economic masturbation package is not a tax cut or tax rebate. This is what the politicians desperately want you to believe. Perhaps you've forgotten that the government is running massive deficits? That check you receive is money stolen from future taxpayers (some of which have not yet been born).

What happens when some future generation of Americans stand up and repudiate their share of the national debt, correctly observing that this was taxation without representation and is thus "not our problem?" :confused:
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
a solution...
Old 04-08-2008, 07:23 AM   #14

a solution...

There is a solution to problems like this: make politicians directly accountable for their decisions.

Examples:
+ if you vote to invade a foreign country, destroy its infrastructure, kill thousands of its citizens, overthrow its government and install a CIA-backed pro-US government in its place - fine. However, you and your family must SERVE on the front lines until there is peace. No peace, then you aren't ever coming home, ever. Too bad - maybe you should have thought things through before voting.

+ your salary and benefits are paid out of budget surpluses. No surpluses, no salary or benefits. Too bad - maybe you shouldn't have inserted that $2 billion earmark for the petunia farm in your home district.

socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:11 AM   #15

Just realize that the stimulus is a direct injection of so-called cash money from the Treasury pretty much DIRECTLY to the coffers of banks (as consumers use it to pay off debt).. lie back, and think of GWB and Alan Greenspan gettin' it on.

Stimulus = bailout under another guise.
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:20 AM   #16

If I recall the Democratic Congress had to sign off on it too didnt they? So better yet think of it as a big republican/democrat orgy
Old 04-08-2008, 08:57 PM   #17

You're right!! Very disappointing. There's another word that begins with "cluster" that comes to mind. All the candidates have huge donations from investment banks. McCain has the awful Phil Gramm.. Obama has Rubin.. and HRC, I hear, was calling for Greenspan to head some kind of super-commission. The bankers seem to be running the joint no matter how you slice it.

sorry.. not Rubin but Rubin's ex- chief of staff, a guy called Froman.
Seems Volcker has endorsed Obama, and has been pretty critical of the latest Fed moves.. it could be a good sign (IMO) for Obama if he is getting advice from that corner.
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:00 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
You're right!! Very disappointing. There's another word that begins with "cluster" that comes to mind. All the candidates have huge donations from investment banks. McCain has the awful Phil Gramm.. Obama has Rubin.. and HRC, I hear, was calling for Greenspan to head some kind of super-commission. The bankers seem to be running the joint no matter how you slice it.
They all want to buy the votes I guess. Few more months and it will be over or starting again..eh bleh