Join Early Retirement Today

Rant: Dumb Chase Sapphire TV ad
Old 09-25-2009, 06:07 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Rant: Dumb Chase Sapphire TV ad

Warning: the post below has no content of real substance but is a rant about a stupid TV ad. If TV ads bug you too read on...

There is this ad that Chase is running on TV (at least here they are) for their new "Sapphire" credit card. I'm not sure what it is but I read somewhere they are marketing it towards higher income people.

The ad goes something like this: Some woman comes out in a new dress, and her husband gets all excited and starts talking about taking a trip to various exotic destinations with his lovely wife, and using their great "Chase Sapphire" miles to pay for the trip. Than the woman goes oh, we cant do that because I already used the miles" and points at the dress.

I don't know why but this ad really ticks me off. If I were that dude I would explode if I found out my wife wasted my hard earned miles that I had been saving for a dream vacation on a stupid dress. It was an ugly dress too, but even if it were the most beautiful dress ever I would still be furious. I'd leave her and call a lawyer.

End rant. Thanks for listening.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2009, 06:23 PM   #2
Administrator

Most ads are really stupid, insulting to the intelligence, and encourage behavior that is crass and uncivilized.

I haven't seen that one, but I really detest the Rally's ad for chicken wings.

Now, as ads for chicken go I like the one from Popeyes in which she gives a dictionary definition for bonafide and ends with, "And THAT is your English lesson for the day."

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:33 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post

Now, as ads for chicken go I like the one from Popeyes in which she gives a dictionary definition for bonafide and ends with, "And THAT is your English lesson for the day."
I haven't seen that one, but I saw one for Bud Light (I think?) the other day with a woman driving in a car with her b/f who she was trying to break up with...so she says "but we can still be friends, we'll just see each other less...like never..."
Old 09-25-2009, 06:45 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'd be furious as well. A marriage is supposed to be a partnership. That means you discuss things before making a major purchase. In this case, an exotic vacation would cost several thousand dollars. To think that someone would spend that kind of money on a single dress is mind-boggling.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:58 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Personally, I thought the dress was awesome.
And frankly, I think the husband will get a lot of enjoyment out of it.
However, I agree that the dress was as much a waste of money as the vacation would have been.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:23 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by caninelover View Post
Warning: the post below has no content of real substance but is a rant about a stupid TV ad. If TV ads bug you too read on...
Why would you think watching and listening to someone beg is supposed to be pleasurable? (Please take me up on the credit card offer. Please. Please. Please.)

If I was really interested in such things, I would have to say that Jay Leno has it down pat. (What desperation in his latest pleas for listeners/watchers... you can almost see the sweat on his brow.)
RonBoyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 12:00 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I have never found begging to be pleasurable. But it gets me there.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 09:29 AM   #8

The "mute" button on the remote in our house is the most-used for a reason.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:33 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
The "mute" button on the remote in our house is the most-used for a reason.
Ditto.

As Gallagher once said, "They need an intelligence knob on the tv. It has a brightness control, but it doesn't work..."

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 10:54 AM   #10

Ah, the peace and quiet to be had in our home: no sounds but the stereo and the dogs, quietly chewing up all of the furniture.
I'm pretty sure that if we had tv, I'd have thrown something through the screen by now.

It does sound like a very stupid ad--seems like all of them make fun of men (husbands/dads) these days. Wonder why that sells product? To women, I guess.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote