Rant: Everyone has their hand out...

Jay_Gatsby

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
As I go through my day, I feel that my wallet is perpetually open and everyone either has their hand out, or those who don't want to wait, reach right into my pocket for money. Whether it's the car mechanic, the grocery store, the dry cleaners, the allegedly "cheap" restaurant, etc... they all seem to be pushing for more and more of my money, while delivering less quality in their products or services than they previously did. The days of feeling like I received a "fair" price are few and far between. While this may be a function of the area in which I currently live, or the American economy, it's still an annoying and increasingly expensive experience.
:rant:

As someone who could easily charge $250+ an hour for my time as a private practice attorney, I could certainly "return the favor". Thus, while everyone else squeezes me on their turf, I could squeeze them especially hard when they need my services (either as an upfront retainer or through a large bill). However, I'm more interested in getting back to the concept of being fair. Unfortunately, and people on this board are likely to confirm, business can't (or won't) go backwards when it comes to what they charge. The businesses I frequent are confident that if I don't spend my hard-earned dollars on their products or services, someone else will.

So what's the answer? Move to a cheaper area? Put up with it and pay?

Um, have you noticed that inflation is picking up? Most of the businesses I deal with have been increasing what they charge just so they can pass through some of the higher prices they have been paying.

img_340254_0_a0ce17ccc4203315fa80d6d75725fdd6.gif

This is for all the honest innocent lawyers that are getting screwed on a daily basis by all of the corrupt masses.

img_340254_1_54e5cb1faf6f7637486661fc93a1d599.gif

Cut-Throat said:
img_340264_0_a0ce17ccc4203315fa80d6d75725fdd6.gif

This is for all the honest innocent lawyers that are getting screwed on a daily basis by all of the corrupt masses.

img_340264_1_54e5cb1faf6f7637486661fc93a1d599.gif

:D :D :D :D Hot-Damn, you're on a roll today! (Love it).

Its a shame but 99.5% of lawyers give the other 0.5% a bad name

Cut-Throat said:
img_340399_0_a0ce17ccc4203315fa80d6d75725fdd6.gif

img_340399_1_54e5cb1faf6f7637486661fc93a1d599.gif

LOL!!!!!!

The rich frequently get screwed because most don't know any better.
It may be that lawyers get screwed because of who they are and I guess I'm a bit like the others in that I get a little giddy when I see a lawyer get the shaft.

However, that wasn't the question--- I agree that quality, service, honesty in some sectors of business are in  the crapper, but once you get beyond the mega corps with customer service via India, I think you can find many smaller businesses doing a good job. Now if you think they are getting in your pocket more and more- they may be.  Today it is all about up selling and usually much of the upselling is geared to the uniformed and thus vulnerable.  Try taking your like new car to the dealer for a simple oil change.  You'll likely get the old call that you really must change your brake fluid.  No the manufactor doesn't require it,but in our area it is a real good idea.  Oh, and then there's---upselling, supersize that?  Life has and continues to get more complicated, but there is always someone to get you through it.

By the way, if you are planning to put the screws to your clients you may need to hurry.  The US is minting lawyers at a rapid pace, but darn, the number of lawsuits just isn't growing and more and more legal work is heading to India cause they can't figure out why the hell you charge so much.
In fact if I'll be surprised if a huge percentage of lawyers aren't working for prepaid legal type organizations in the near future.  Will it be called the lawyers Delphi ?

Hey Jay.

I'll stick up for you. We use a corp attorney who is >$250/hr (firm of 600+). He is worth every penny and really does go easy on use since we are the po boys on his client list. DW and I used a private attorney to handle an estate and he was also very straight forward. I guess financial hypocrisy can occur in any profession but no doubt certain high paid professions attract the negative attention.

As I see it, it's all just part of the free market. Supposedly those who don't bring real value will eventually loose in the long run.

TargaDave said:
Hey Jay.

I'll stick up for you.  We use a corp attorney who is >$250/hr (firm of 600+).  He is worth every penny and really does go easy on use since we are the po boys on his client list.   DW and I used a private attorney to handle an estate and he was also very straight forward.   I guess financial hypocrisy can occur in any profession but no doubt certain high paid professions attract the negative attention.

As I see it, it's all just part of the free market.  Supposedly those who don't bring real value will eventually loose in the long run.

Many thanks for the support TargaDave. I'd like to think that my rant embodied a feeling quite a few on this board have, but may not discuss too often. The only reason I mentioned being an attorney, and being able to "return the favor" is that businesses who skimp on quality (and thereby screw their customers) shouldn't complain when someone else does it to them. Yet this is exactly what many of them do. In the end, people should (but don't seem to these days) follow the "Golden Rule" -- not the "he who has the gold makes the rules" variety, but rather the "do unto others" kind.

Jay,

I know what you mean. I take my family's cars to this particular Honda repair place. They are a little more expensive for oil changes then your corner quick lube-n-change place. They told me the total after the oil change, and the price had gone up $5. After asking why, they told me it was to cover their higher expenses - motor oil had gone up and their charges to have oil and parts delivered had gone up, so they were passing this on to consumers. I have no problem with that. They are being honest. I'm sure they're padding their pockets a little bit. Their new price for an oil change is $29.95 with all taxes, fees, parts, environmental charges and disposal fees included.

What I don't like are the sneaky extra fees that get tacked on to certain bills. At other quick lube places, you may pay $18.95 for your oil change, but after you pay for the extra fees, taxes, charges and "energy usage surcharges", you end up paying the same $29.95.

Then there is the phone company that never includes the dozen fees that they pay and then pass on to you. You see a separate itemized cost on your bill for all these little fees.

The other end of the extreme is to look to do more stuff yourself, but it probably isnt worth your time if you are make 250 bucks an hour ;)

maddythebeagle said:
The other end of the extreme is to look to do more stuff yourself, but it probably isnt worth your time if you are make 250 bucks an hour ;)

This is true. But following on from one of my replies to another thread, I did something about it. I've found some new places to patronize.

It's even worse in third world countries I've visited. An economy based on tips and negotiating every price is incredibly inefficient. Go to the mid-East or South America and you could spend all day grocery shopping since haggling is required for every purchase. And you can't just negotiate the price. You have to negotiate the exact deliverable, the timing of the delivery, and the quality of that deliverable. Then you may have to negotiate again if they fail to deliver. What a waste of valuable time!

But I feel like we are slipping into the same kind of economy in the US -- especially some of our large cities. :-\

((^+^)) SG said:
But I feel like we are slipping into the same kind of economy in the US -- especially some of our large cities.   :-\

Guess why? We have imported the Mideast, Africa, and Latin America into the good old USA.

How could they become like Anglo-America? They can't even speak the language. Their own languages may organize concepts and social relations in a completely different way. Although there are many forms of dysfunctional 3rd world societies and economies, the (formerly) highly efficient and trust assuming culture that we have (had) has never really existed anywhere, anytime, except in Northwestern Europe, and the new World outposts of NW Europe.

But hey, in recompense you get all the tacos and falafel you can eat.

Ha

HaHa said:
Guess why? We have imported the Mideast, Africa, and Latin America into the good old USA.
I think you're right, Ha. There are some good things that come from that. But I'm still witholding judgement about the overall effect. :)

((^+^)) SG said:
I think you're right, Ha.  There are some good things that come from that.  But I'm still witholding judgement about the overall effect.   :)

Agreed. I don't necessarily think that immigrant-run businesses are more likely to skimp on lower quality and yet charge a high price. However, I've seen better quality given to people of the same ethnicity as the owners of such businesses. :-\

I agree Jay.  I think there is a word for that.  Something like d-i-s-c-r-i-m-something.
Given our current track, visualize the lives of your grandchildren.  :eek:

JPatrick said:
Jay_Gatsby said:
I've seen better quality given to people of the same ethnicity as the owners of such businesses. :-\
I agree Jay. I think there is a word for that. Something like d-i-s-c-r-i-m-something.
Given our current track, visualize the lives of your grandchildren. :eek:

What is your visualization and what do you think should be done about it?

Jay_Gatsby said:
The days of feeling like I received a "fair" price are few and far between.  While this may be a function of the area in which I currently live, or the American economy, it's still an annoying and increasingly expensive experience.
:rant:

So what's the answer?  Move to a cheaper area?  Put up with it and pay?

It all points to American consumerism. Starbucks with it's high priced quality coffee and fancy latte's to Panera Bread with their $5 a loaf old world crust frozen dough bread balls. All the way up to those ultra deluxe fancy gas guzzling Hummers and SUV's...

If you can afford it, fine...but how many Americans are racked up in CC debt:confused:

The old school train of thought was "If you can't afford to pay cash, you can't afford it!!!"

Discipline ourselves to not fall into the Marketing/Ad campaign traps which feed Wall Street. (what a circle, eh?)  :confused:

acg said:
It all points to American consumerism. Starbucks with it's high priced quality coffee and fancy latte's to Panera Bread with their $5 a loaf old world crust frozen dough bread balls. All the way up to those ultra deluxe fancy gas guzzling Hummers and SUV's...

If you can afford it, fine...but how many Americans are racked up in CC debt:confused:

The old school train of thought was "If you can't afford to pay cash, you can't afford it!!!"

Discipline ourselves to not fall into the Marketing/Ad campaign traps which feed Wall Street. (what a circle, eh?)  :confused:

Probably not a bad idea. Then again, if you do that, you're seen as cheap, miserly, etc... However, being "cool" for spending money doesn't put food on the table.

Jay_Gatsby said:
...However, being "cool" for spending money doesn't put food on the table.

And it doesn't put index funds in your portfolio :)

HaHa said:

How could they become like Anglo-America? They can't even speak the language. Their own languages may organize concepts and social relations in a completely different way.
But hey, in recompense you get all the tacos and falafel you can eat.

Ha

When I was a kid, I grew up in an old Polish neighborhood with bakeries, sausage shops, roman catholic churches, etc.

Then when the Poles got educated and sold their businesses and went on to "bigger" jobs, the Armenian & Chaldean immigrants bought the Polish bakeries and sausage shops, the churches changed too.

Then, the Armenians and Chaldeans moved up and sold the businesses to the middle eastern immigrants with the falafel and arabic pastry shops and is now the largest middle eastern outpost in the US (thriving and growing with arabic language newspapers, mosques and halal meat markets).

All the convenience stores and gas stations are owned by arabic families (who take advantage of tax free status for 7 years, then transfer ownership to another family member for the next 7 years, etc!).

Now, all most of the housekeeping jobs in hotels across the country are dominated by latino's, mexicans and eastern europeans...the only ones willing to do the hard grunge work for such a low wage. Same with the field migrant workers. Not even a mention of African Americans (a whole other issue in itself!)

We Americans no longer want to work or have the same work ethic as previous generations. At one point, all of us were immigrants at one time!

Why is there such anger and hate in the world:confused: hmmm.

You don't suppose a tax break like this would encourage more "American" ownership do you?

acg said:
We Americans no longer want to work or have the same work ethic as previous generations.
These immigrants ARE the American work ethic.

JPatrick said:
acg said:
You don't suppose a tax break like this would encourage more "American" ownership do you?

If the US gov't can give those tax breaks to immigrants, why not to the average Joe citizen who also yearns to be self-employed and independent? The average American can no longer dream the American Dream...unless he happens to hit a windfall.

Having a small biz in today's world is not what it use to be. The little guy can no longer compete with the megacorps.

I am still trying to think of something I can produce and sell for $1 that everybody just cannot live without. The fat free hot dog didn't go over too well! :DAny ideas:confused:

Back
Top Bottom