Join Early Retirement Today

Rant, OPP
Old 05-16-2016, 09:11 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Rant, OPP

Is it just me or do the instructions that come with any appliance these days have micro sized font that you need a magnifying glass to read.

Second rant, everything that comes in plastic packaging is damn near impossible to open without scissors or a utility knife.

Guess it is just OPP, Old people problems.

End of rant.

Got any you like to share ?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2016, 09:13 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

1) Who reads instructions?

2) That's the point.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:21 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Not just you. Sometimes, I've found myself having to find a PDF version (if there is one), then magnifying that.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Not just you. Sometimes, I've found myself having to find a PDF version (if there is one), then magnifying that.
You can also take a picture with your cell phone and expand it.

That's what I do for those tiny 3/4" fuses that have the specs stamped on them in miniscule lettering.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post

Guess it is just OPP, Old people problems.
Yup. Symptoms of getting old. It ain't much fun but it still beats the alternative. One of these helps

Old 05-17-2016, 09:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
For appliances where a manual is useful (like a TV or a anything that requires setup or repeated configuration) I always search out the manual on the web and download it. I have yet to find a device where this wasn't available.

DW used to keep a physical file folder with all our old manuals, but now the have a shared online folder where we keep them all.

The great thing is that there is no small type with PDF, you just set the size you need. And it's easy to access on a computer, iPad or even a phone (in a pinch).
Old 05-17-2016, 10:05 AM   #7

You sure the fonts are smaller or are your arms just getting shorter?

Seriously, what really bugs me is being told to go online for instructions ("go to www.xyz for operation manual"). Even though I spend a good deal of my day online, I want the instructions printed right there, not a website.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:14 AM   #8

Instructions? My method is: when all else fails, bitch about the thing not being user friendly then read instructions. . .
Old 05-17-2016, 10:19 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Grandchildren's carseats. The thumb strength required to press down an immoveable button while simultaneously turning a magic lever to release a screaming squirming baby with a dirty diaper? There are not enough swearwords to get me through the ordeal.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:19 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

So far, no one has come up with any other OPP's. Looks as if small fonts on user manuals is the only one. Hey, maybe getting older isn't as bad as we're always being told!
Old 05-17-2016, 10:37 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Well, I guess the manual for the carseats I posted about might be printed in a small font....
Old 05-17-2016, 10:52 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

The illegible recycling symbols on plastic bottles, etc. There's plenty of room on the bottom of the bottle, it wouldn't cost them anything to make the "arrow triangle" and the numeral bigger. As it is, even with very good vision it would be hard to look at the clear plastic and see if that's a tiny "1" or a "4". If I have to struggle to see it, the jar/bottle just goes into the trash rather than risk contaminating the recyclable plastics.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:13 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

First world problems. Who uses paper instruction manuals anymore?

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:17 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Ha! Good one. No, I hit the button on my post just as the carseat post must have been arriving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Well, I guess the manual for the carseats I posted about might be printed in a small font....
Old 05-17-2016, 11:21 AM   #15

Good topic!

I grumble regularly () while trying to open the bag for the first time inside the box of Bran Flakes. Often grumble "how would an elderly person do this?"

OK, how about a person older than me?

Not long ago, some of the bags were barely sealed. Now they require burglary tools to open. How someone "elderly" maybe with limited hand strength/mobility would do it, I don't know.

I have tried just cutting the top sealed area off using scissors, but then the bag is short to roll up, until the level of cereal goes down enough. We had an infestation of Meal Moths once, and always remember the mess that caused.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:22 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
First world problems. Who uses paper instruction manuals anymore?
I do. The paper owner's manual for my car stays in the glove box, and I keep a paper copy of my keyboard manual in the carrying case in the event I need to look up something or change a setting. The last thing I want to be doing at a gig is look up how to change a patch on a 5" phone screen.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:28 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

My long-departed Dad just employed the "growl and rip it to pieces" rule. Cereal would fly in all directions. I prefer to use scissors.

In an attempt to foil mice and meal moths, I store all cereal and similar dry goods in lidded plastic containers saved from the box store. The containers for Orville Redenbacher popcorn are particularly good for this: wide-mouthed, with built-in handles. If the item is going to take a long time to use up, I store the plastic container in the freezer.

OK, here's my rant: The box-store containers are shrinking! I used to be able to buy dry items in lidded containers that held half a gallon or more. Now, a measly quart is the preferred size. The company's "spin" is that they are giving customers...drum roll...Supermarket Sizes! Yeah, as if we joined buyer's clubs so we could get the same dinky items as in the supermarket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
Good topic!

I have tried just cutting the top sealed area off using scissors, but then the bag is short to roll up, until the level of cereal goes down enough. We had an infestation of Meal Moths once, and always remember the mess that caused.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:30 AM   #18

When DH went out to that paramotor race last October, he downloaded a flight app for his iPhone to use while flying, as did most of the other (much younger) pilots. He kept getting lost because he couldn't juggle the kite steering lines, his reading glasses, and the screen on his phone, which was velcroed to his leg. Only after about half the race was over did he learn from the whippersnappers that he could double tap the screen to enlarge the map enough to see it. OPP, indeed.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:37 AM   #19
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
Good topic!

I grumble regularly () while trying to open the bag for the first time inside the box of Bran Flakes. Often grumble "how would an elderly person do this?"

OK, how about a person older than me?

Not long ago, some of the bags were barely sealed. Now they require burglary tools to open. How someone "elderly" maybe with limited hand strength/mobility would do it, I don't know.

I use my scissors to cut across the top, and try to just cut a little bit off in the process. It's annoying, I agree. I think it's impossible to open cereal bags (inside the boxes) without scissors.

I always keep cold cereal in the freezer to keep the bugs out. This is a habit that I learned from my dear departed mother back when I was a teenager living in Hawaii, where bugs abound. I don't live in Hawaii any more, but old habits die hard and it is so easy to just toss the cereal box in the freezer.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:38 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Speaking of fonts--the labels on Google and other online maps that stay the same size no matter how much you zoom in on the map. Which makes the labels seem even tinier compared to the zoomed in area.

Speaking of packaging--"all-natural" products (yeah I'm looking at you, Jessica Alba, and that "Honest Company" schtick--but good for you for creating an empire) that come in five or six layers of difficult to deal withwrapping--the clamshell, the cardboard, the shrinkwrap, the plastic thingie around the neck of the bottle, the foil thingie under the cap). Thanks for saving the environment!