Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-26-2019, 07:49 AM   #21
Administrator

The OP may have a desire for a positive retirement and therefore look /hope for a non-confrontational way to deal with this. That's not easy, especially it the partners are unhappy with, or even fearful, of his upcoming departure. Maybe a one-on-one session of "clear talk" with each of the partners.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2019, 07:54 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
The OP may have a desire for a positive retirement and therefore look /hope for a non-confrontational way to deal with this. That's not easy, especially it the partners are unhappy with, or even fearful, of his upcoming departure. Maybe a one-on-one session of "clear talk" with each of the partners.
Agree but the partners being unhappy or fearful about his departure isn't really his problem.

Give them one chance with a pleasant but firm comment and if it happens again leave on your own terms.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 07:58 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If I was OP I would book a flight to some place nice, land, and call in. Sorry I'm done, send them a pic of the beach.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:22 AM   #24
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post

Well unless he's walking away from a fat pay out like other posters here if they left early, who cares about a non-confrontational retirement or if the partners will be unhappy?? sometimes we have to be selfish and worry about our own happiness first.
snowboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:05 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

You gave a 60 day notice 6 months ago and agreed to stay until replacement was hired, which has happened. No statement if you also agreed to stay on until replacement was trained.
It's not your fault the new person can't start until mid June, nor is it necessarily your responsibility to stay and train him/her, especially if they are nit picking your work now.
Personally, I would have an honest discussion with them, ask why they are being so picky about your work when there has been no problem in the past and restate your retirement and new date to leave. (since you already have given them 6 months, two weeks should be adequate) Then stick with that date, walk out the door, and enjoy your retirement!
Old 03-26-2019, 09:44 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I would give my 2 weeks notice.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:12 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
The next time this happens why you don't just say in a pleasant voice, If it's not a big problem I don't want to hear about it. Brief pause, and then...You seem to have forgotten that I'm doing you a favor, if you keep nitpicking my work, I'm outta here. Maybe my replacement will do things exactly the way you want it done, I'll leave you guys to train him in the "correct" way.

You'll have to be serious about it though, and give drop dead notice date if it keeps happening. I have no idea why you are willing to keep working thru nine more months of this treatment.
^^^
This.
You're doing them a favor. Tell them if they all agree than make the changes but take your name off the document.
Oh, and if you don't like how I do it why should I train my replacement? Seems I'd be teaching him the wrong things.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:18 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
^^^
This.
You're doing them a favor. Tell them if they all agree than make the changes but take your name off the document.
and kick the document back to them for improvement. Just write DRAFT on it. If they want it changed they can do the work

Not sure if OP is a partner as well which might impact the payout as a partner.
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:26 AM   #29

You have the shoe on the wrong foot! Instead of them busting your chops, it should be the other way around. Next person does this to you, flip it. Let them know it's them that haven't a clue how to word stuff. Be rude even, but civil. That's what they are doing to you; being rude, but by keeping the topic work related, they think they can get away with it. I'd let them know that management recognized your talent enough to ask you to stay and now train a replacement. If they don't back off their critique, you'll do more than just train the replacement, you'll educate him/her on the short comings of these same 'partners'.
Some folks don't have it in them to flip bad form that's been hurled at them, but if you do, let it fly!

Actually, I take that all back. I'd walk. When the phone call comes asking why I'm not in, I'd tell 'em of the mean spirited way I've been treated and that I am not coming back.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 12:30 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Blink three times if you're being held against your will.

Seriously, it's a job, you're allowed to quit.
DFDubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 01:48 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Hehe, yeah when they tell you to do it over tell 'em "you do it if you want it done over"

What are they going to do fire you -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 05:21 PM   #32

Going into work is all about money. If your retirement income will fill the money void I suggest you go ASAP. No more nice guy stuff...you need to get on with your life. I think you are wasting time and procrastinating. Send your work mates a nicely misspelled letter saying you will be gone next week. I am being blunnt.
Old 03-26-2019, 05:44 PM   #33
Gone but not forgotten

You'll do the right thing whatever it is. Good to see you've thought this through.

Quote:
Then I have the rest of my life to look back and say "the last few months were kind of annoying, but in the grand scheme of things, it wasn't that bad. I lived and I'm no worse for the wear."
Old 03-26-2019, 06:59 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post
If the partners' objections genuinely are style over substance, then it should be perfectly reasonable to say "Thank you for sharing that. I like it the way it is."

If their objections have merit, the right response is "Thank you for having my back. I'm gonna miss you guys when I'm gone. You're all total sweethearts." A soft answer turneth away wrath.

+1 Nine months is a long time to put up with constant hairsplitting. If it seriously bothers you, then voice your objections in an objective manner. Keep in mind that it may not be deliberate harassment by the soon-to-be-ex partners. It's possible they may be unaware that their behavior toward you has changed, and you might just be more sensitized because of your senior-itis.

+1 It doesn't sound professional. However, don't let it prompt you into sacrificing your own professionalism. Mention that you find it bordering on disrespectful, and insist that if it doesn't improve then you can't stay. No emotions, no finger-pointing. You don't want your last career moment to be remembered as a tantrum. Better to depart with your dignity. Good luck!

I thought this was the best advise. I also liked the idea of a "draft." If they are obsessed with stylistic changes, they can do it, finalize the product and put their own name on it.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:43 PM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

do you have the ability to play youtube videos at work

try playing this one

( maybe security will even help you carry the cardboard box )

so no sympathy for management now after they have obviously recruited a substandard ( in their minds ) replacement

t have been there ( elsewhere ) 'nice ' does have it's limits

You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.

Samuel Levenson
Oz investor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 03:38 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you for letting me vent. Each of you have valid points. As always, the situation is slightly more complicated than what I can convey is a post on this forum. Bottom line is that yes, I could walk out and never return. And yes, if the behavior doesn't stop, then I will find a polite way to say what many of you suggested - "Thanks, but it's time for me to go. I stayed for as long as I could, but....it's time for me to go."

Thanks again for listening! I love this message board!
AS2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 05:16 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I believe they think you are bluffing about wanting to go, since they were able to convince you to stay beyond your planned date. Consider calling their bluff, and saying, politely, that form their feedback it seems you are less valuable to the company now, and perhaps the best thing to do is to leave in less than a month.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:38 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AS2019 View Post
Thank you for letting me vent. Each of you have valid points. As always, the situation is slightly more complicated than what I can convey is a post on this forum. Bottom line is that yes, I could walk out and never return. And yes, if the behavior doesn't stop, then I will find a polite way to say what many of you suggested - "Thanks, but it's time for me to go. I stayed for as long as I could, but....it's time for me to go."

Thanks again for listening! I love this message board!
The behavior is not going to just stop on it's own, but good luck and it's a shame things have turned slightly unpleasant. In fact we had this issue in a family run business as we transitioned out and I told several family members they weren't being very gracious about things. Passive aggressive type stuff just like you are seeing now.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 07:46 AM   #39

I am taking a different approach. Long notice, willing to leave immediately. Not willing to extend at all. Would discuss limited contract work for a couple of weeks a year. I have been reducing personal items at work but I think I'll take a cardboard box before I announce. I just like the idea that I could leave at any time.
RetMD21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 08:27 AM   #40

Quote:
The replacement has been hired and will start in mid-June.
And what happens if your replacement decides not to show up for work in mid June? How much longer will it take then?

That sort of thing never really happens in real life. Does it? (sure it does. It happens more often than you think. )
CRLLS is online now   Reply With Quote