Rant - The annoying things about work are getting more annoying.

OP - Update

Just thought I would update everybody. Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. As people have said many times in many posts, I don't owe the company or my partners anything. They will survive without me, and if I wasn't benefitting the group, they would cut me loose in a heartbeat. I get that. So my reasons for staying boil down to my own conscience and not wanting to feel like a jerk for leaving them short handed.

That said, I've made clear to them that my continued presence at work is no more than a favor to them, and that I have zero desire to continue working. They have backed off with the minor criticisms. They are working on solutions to rearrange the work load amongst the remaining partners so that I can be 'released'. I've given them a hard date of 1/15/2020, but would certainly like to leave sooner than that.

One reason not to just walk out the door is that by doing that, the door will be closed forever. I'd like to at least have the option of going back to work if I decide that retirement just isn't for me. Plus, I don't have any hard plans for what to do in my retirement. I'm not delaying some major life change by continuing to work (I don't plan to move, I don't plan to immediately start traveling, etc). The golden handcuffs/additional income in these next months is also somewhat comforting. I'm FI right now, but I'm also a belt and suspenders type, so a little extra $$ makes me a little less nervous about pulling the plug.

Thanks again.

Glad that works for you, AS2019. If you get released earlier, it may be better to look elsewhere, go in fresh, and so on. That's of course if you want to. Plenty of time to get comfortable and let it all play out.

Once you give your notice and you need any medical procedures done make sure Megacorp pays for it while you are still on the payroll and you are part of the insurance plan. I knew some guys that had major dental work prior to them retiring since the company dental plan could pay for it. You pay for your health benefits then bye golly use them before you leave the company.

Once you give your notice and you need any medical procedures done make sure Megacorp pays for it while you are still on the payroll and you are part of the insurance plan. I knew some guys that had major dental work prior to them retiring since the company dental plan could pay for it. You pay for your health benefits then bye golly use them before you leave the company.
Guy i work with now was gonna retire in the next couple of month's. Due to dental & medical stuff he wants done he is 8 plus month's out now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom