Rant thread

Re: big chickens. High school biology class at our local high school does the following experiment each year: they raise two sets of chickens, layers and roasters. They use the same feed, no antibiotics. They measure the calories in the feed and the growth of the birds. The genetics make all the difference. The roasters are VERY efficient in turning their calories into meat.

They also compare chickens to pigs and cattle.

After the experiment is done, the chickens are turned over to the Ag program at the school. The roasters end up being slaughtered, feathered, and cleaned and sent to the culinary students. The layers end up at a local farm.

Very efficient use by the school--3 classes, food and for some, back to the farm.

To add to the chicken rant: Antibiotics: They may not be in the chicken meat we eat, but they end up in the chicken droppings, then into the environment. I look for chicken raised without antibiotics. Very easy to find in our local grocery store.

If I want small poultry, I end up using Cornish game hens. Even they have gotten bigger, unfortunately. I prefer the smaller chickens myself, since it helps with portion control.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

very interesting article!

Especially this set of statements:

If you see the words "no growth hormones" on a package of chicken at the grocery store, Lacy said it's just marketing. "There are no hormones added to any chickens in the U.S.," he said.

A study by Mississippi State University in 2013 on growth hormones in poultry denies the use of hormones in chicken breeding, saying hormones have been banned in U.S. poultry production since the '50s.

"Some of the confusion and misunderstanding may stem from the fact that the poultry and beef cattle industries operate under different regulations," the report said. "While growth hormone use is banned in poultry production, it is a perfectly legal and accepted practice in the beef cattle industry."

OK, don't you just hate it when people don't rant in a rant thread! :mad: :mad: :mad: There, that's better!

Don't know about Hispanic markets, but oxtails and beef shanks are not cheap at all at the Oriental markets in town. What's with these ethnic markets? :mad:

Don't know about Hispanic markets, but oxtails and beef shanks are not cheap at all at the Oriental markets in town. What's with these ethnic markets?

I used to see that at the Italian markets my mother and grandmother used to shop at when I was a little boy. Most weekly groceries we got at the regular supermarket but the specialty "ethnic" food we went to the "Paisans" . For those of The tribe they are just taking advantage of their "need" for the traditional food stuffs so they can carry on the old ways at home. For the White People (Read: "regular" 'Medicans who are not Italian) well, those people will spend on anything they think is chic, cute, or fashionable, so soak the sh1t out of them.

I am not sure what you meant, but I think oxtail and beef shank are universally liked, hence they are not cheap in any market, ethnic or not, where I am.

If you've never had chicken feet, and I would guess most Americans haven't, try going to a real Chinese restaurant and ask if they have a "Chinese menu" (i.e., not the standard menu given to most customers). You might be surprised at how much you can enjoy "odd" foods if they're prepared well.

Well, I have had chicken feet. I would not go out of the way for them.

Offal yakitori, now that's tasty, and other Asian countries have something similar.

Free range chicken just means the birds have access to a concrete pad with a little fresh air for part of the day. Cage free means they arent in cages, but have probably never seen the sun nor felt fresh air in their feathers. These are minimum standards, I'm sure many farms treat their livestock better.

Vegetarian fed chicken is terrible for the birds. Chickens are naturally omnivores: worms, bugs, carrion are all part of the diet of jungle fowl (their wild sisters). They also love their greens such as dandelions, lettuce, and grass. Factory birds are fed almost exclusively corn and enough vitamins and antibiotics to keep them alive long enough for slaughter.

Diet, overbreeding and lack of exercise are probably the biggest reasons for the currently ultra-bland eggs and chicken flesh consumed today. I'm a fan of modern medicine and therefore prejudiced to thinking there's nothing wrong with the antibiotics.

I'm also not an enemy of factory farming. We live in a society where even the poor suffer from obesity. Factory farming is what has led to the ultra cheapness of food. I'll take mass obesity over mass starvation anytime.

I have a small backyard flock and my girls are uber healthy. They get a few hours outside of their coop almost every day. No shots, never been sick. The yolks in their eggs are dark golden, almost pumpkin colored, which is the natural color when they have access to fresh greens (March to October).

Their eggs are also super delicious. I wince every time on the rare occasion when I get the sawdust flavored variety at a diner.

Oh yeah ? Well my cousin Vinny the Easter Bunny will skip YOUR house this year.

Nyah nyah nyah nyah nah

bunny-tongue.jpg

Where does Vinny get his eggs:confused:?

I hate to complain, but this is pretty low intensity stuff to quality as a true rant. :LOL:

I mean, doesn't a rant elicit raised purple veins in the head and neck and a half shouted message, delivered with true passion?

I'm afraid that this is rant lite or tepid pet peeves.

Give us time, give us time.

You want this thread get shut down immediately or what?

I am getting more and more selective with my poultry. I find supermarket chicken disgusting most of the time, slimy, with a nasty texture, bland taste, and a faintly foul smell as well. It makes me want to become vegetarian. So I don't eat a lot of chicken, but when I do I spring for a local, free-range chicken from my local butcher. It is very fresh and tasty.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Is there a place in SF where you can get imported poulet de Bresse? ;)

I hate to complain, but this is pretty low intensity stuff to quality as a true rant. :LOL:

I mean, doesn't a rant elicit raised purple veins in the head and neck and a half shouted message, delivered with true passion?

I'm afraid that this is rant lite or tepid pet peeves.

I left purple views in the head and neck and all that junk back at Megacorp. Can't do it anymore.

The OP had a great rant, I don't have any, at least right now.

Trying to purchase a $20K item and no one will give you all the specs needed to make an intelligent decision (swim spa). Grrrr!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Is there a place in SF where you can get imported poulet de Bresse? ;)

ok...you went all Frenchy hoity toity on me there. Had to look that thing up. If Sf restaurants don't have it, I don't know who would.

I was born an raised in The City so if you would have asked me how to get an "It's it" I could have helped you out. Sorry.:cool:

I had to look that up too. That's a chicken breed to taste great! Apparently there are some being raised in both Canada and the US. I know they're not from Bresse. There's also a US hatchery selling chicks for $29.00 apiece. All you have to do is raise them properly for 4 months.

Frenchy hoity toity? ;) Just for asking if I can go to SF instead of all the way to France to taste the bird? :LOL: Just now, see on the Web that it is not easy to get this bird in France either.

Hey, I am not a gourmand. See the other thread, where I am doing my first sous-vide steak ever? I need to go out to check on it now.

:dance:
Ok... now we're getting this rant thread ramped up.

I understand...alz good. but you really don't need a specific reason to visit SF

Last edited:
We have been to SF so many times over the years, that I literally lost count. But if Bresse chicken is offered there, well, that will give us an impetus to stop by once more in our next RV trip, which is 1 month away.

And I learned about this famed bird after our last visit to France. Hopefully, I will remember to inquire about it during the next visit.

Meanwhile, I just had my first sous-vide steak, and I am heading to the other thread to report on it.

Free range chicken just means the birds have access to a concrete pad with a little fresh air for part of the day. Cage free means they arent in cages, but have probably never seen the sun nor felt fresh air in their feathers. These are minimum standards, I'm sure many farms treat their livestock better.

Vegetarian fed chicken is terrible for the birds. Chickens are naturally omnivores: worms, bugs, carrion are all part of the diet of jungle fowl (their wild sisters). They also love their greens such as dandelions, lettuce, and grass. Factory birds are fed almost exclusively corn and enough vitamins and antibiotics to keep them alive long enough for slaughter.

Diet, overbreeding and lack of exercise are probably the biggest reasons for the currently ultra-bland eggs and chicken flesh consumed today. I'm a fan of modern medicine and therefore prejudiced to thinking there's nothing wrong with the antibiotics.

I'm also not an enemy of factory farming. We live in a society where even the poor suffer from obesity. Factory farming is what has led to the ultra cheapness of food. I'll take mass obesity over mass starvation anytime.

I have a small backyard flock and my girls are uber healthy. They get a few hours outside of their coop almost every day. No shots, never been sick. The yolks in their eggs are dark golden, almost pumpkin colored, which is the natural color when they have access to fresh greens (March to October).

Their eggs are also super delicious. I wince every time on the rare occasion when I get the sawdust flavored variety at a diner.

Below are the choices at my local supermarket. I've been buying the free range eggs and would never go back to the cage ones. Like yours, the yolks are dark golden and the flavour is far superior.

Overwaitea first to use Cage Eggs signage

OK. Finally remembered something to rant about. Delivery services (Canada Post, UPS) which deliver the package directly to the depot without making any attempt to deliver it to my home. Apparently I am supposed to follow the tracking and pick it up myself. I live in a condo building, but that's no excuse. Last month I had to visit the UPS depot and struggle with two boxes from Amazon, one of which was large.

In fairness, my new iPad Air 2 was shipped via Purolator, arrived on time, and the delivery person actually used the intercom. Thank you, Purolator.

Back
Top Bottom