Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-21-2015, 12:41 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

The graphic in this article is somewhat impressive

60 years of engineering the perfect chicken: meatier, cheaper, faster growing | AL.com

Although, 'perfect', that may be debatable.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2015, 12:45 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You are correct ERD many different cultures eat lesser cuts. Actually a buddy of mine, grew up in Hays KS. said his German DM made chicken feet stew a few times a year. He said it was a favorite. Not sure if it's a German thing or his DM being resourceful. Heck we consume 20MM chickens daily, that's a lot of feet.

On the rant side, what happened to the rest of my chicken? Where's the neck and giblets? My chicken and I have to pay extra for the only parts that have any taste?

Old 03-21-2015, 12:56 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I go to a nearby Mennonite community to buy chickens. Free range no growth hormones and they actually taste like chicken unlike the stuff in the grocery stores. Do some research on communities of that type in your area.
Old 03-21-2015, 01:19 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkTinkerer View Post
Does anyone remember when the wings were the cheap part of the chicken? Now wings cost more than the thighs!

I have my eye on some rabbit. Specifically the one getting into my garden. Eliminate the problem and provide dinner in one shot! Literally!
Oh yeah ? Well my cousin Vinny the Easter Bunny will skip YOUR house this year.

Nyah nyah nyah nyah nah

Old 03-21-2015, 01:29 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBug View Post
The graphic in this article is somewhat impressive

60 years of engineering the perfect chicken: meatier, cheaper, faster growing | AL.com

Although, 'perfect', that may be debatable.
very interesting article!
Old 03-21-2015, 02:16 PM   #26

Re: big chickens. High school biology class at our local high school does the following experiment each year: they raise two sets of chickens, layers and roasters. They use the same feed, no antibiotics. They measure the calories in the feed and the growth of the birds. The genetics make all the difference. The roasters are VERY efficient in turning their calories into meat.

They also compare chickens to pigs and cattle.

After the experiment is done, the chickens are turned over to the Ag program at the school. The roasters end up being slaughtered, feathered, and cleaned and sent to the culinary students. The layers end up at a local farm.

Very efficient use by the school--3 classes, food and for some, back to the farm.

To add to the chicken rant: Antibiotics: They may not be in the chicken meat we eat, but they end up in the chicken droppings, then into the environment. I look for chicken raised without antibiotics. Very easy to find in our local grocery store.

If I want small poultry, I end up using Cornish game hens. Even they have gotten bigger, unfortunately. I prefer the smaller chickens myself, since it helps with portion control.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-21-2015, 02:17 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
very interesting article!
Especially this set of statements:

If you see the words "no growth hormones" on a package of chicken at the grocery store, Lacy said it's just marketing. "There are no hormones added to any chickens in the U.S.," he said.

A study by Mississippi State University in 2013 on growth hormones in poultry denies the use of hormones in chicken breeding, saying hormones have been banned in U.S. poultry production since the '50s.

"Some of the confusion and misunderstanding may stem from the fact that the poultry and beef cattle industries operate under different regulations," the report said. "While growth hormone use is banned in poultry production, it is a perfectly legal and accepted practice in the beef cattle industry."
Old 03-21-2015, 02:47 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
OK, don't you just hate it when people don't rant in a rant thread! There, that's better!
Don't know about Hispanic markets, but oxtails and beef shanks are not cheap at all at the Oriental markets in town. What's with these ethnic markets?
Old 03-21-2015, 03:32 PM   #29

Quote:
Don't know about Hispanic markets, but oxtails and beef shanks are not cheap at all at the Oriental markets in town. What's with these ethnic markets?
I used to see that at the Italian markets my mother and grandmother used to shop at when I was a little boy. Most weekly groceries we got at the regular supermarket but the specialty "ethnic" food we went to the "Paisans" . For those of The tribe they are just taking advantage of their "need" for the traditional food stuffs so they can carry on the old ways at home. For the White People (Read: "regular" 'Medicans who are not Italian) well, those people will spend on anything they think is chic, cute, or fashionable, so soak the sh1t out of them.
Old 03-21-2015, 04:25 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I am not sure what you meant, but I think oxtail and beef shank are universally liked, hence they are not cheap in any market, ethnic or not, where I am.
Old 03-21-2015, 04:35 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

If you've never had chicken feet, and I would guess most Americans haven't, try going to a real Chinese restaurant and ask if they have a "Chinese menu" (i.e., not the standard menu given to most customers). You might be surprised at how much you can enjoy "odd" foods if they're prepared well.
Old 03-21-2015, 04:41 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Well, I have had chicken feet. I would not go out of the way for them.

Offal yakitori, now that's tasty, and other Asian countries have something similar.
Old 03-21-2015, 05:24 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Free range chicken just means the birds have access to a concrete pad with a little fresh air for part of the day. Cage free means they arent in cages, but have probably never seen the sun nor felt fresh air in their feathers. These are minimum standards, I'm sure many farms treat their livestock better.

Vegetarian fed chicken is terrible for the birds. Chickens are naturally omnivores: worms, bugs, carrion are all part of the diet of jungle fowl (their wild sisters). They also love their greens such as dandelions, lettuce, and grass. Factory birds are fed almost exclusively corn and enough vitamins and antibiotics to keep them alive long enough for slaughter.

Diet, overbreeding and lack of exercise are probably the biggest reasons for the currently ultra-bland eggs and chicken flesh consumed today. I'm a fan of modern medicine and therefore prejudiced to thinking there's nothing wrong with the antibiotics.

I'm also not an enemy of factory farming. We live in a society where even the poor suffer from obesity. Factory farming is what has led to the ultra cheapness of food. I'll take mass obesity over mass starvation anytime.

I have a small backyard flock and my girls are uber healthy. They get a few hours outside of their coop almost every day. No shots, never been sick. The yolks in their eggs are dark golden, almost pumpkin colored, which is the natural color when they have access to fresh greens (March to October).

Their eggs are also super delicious. I wince every time on the rare occasion when I get the sawdust flavored variety at a diner.
Old 03-21-2015, 05:41 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Well, I have had chicken feet.

Must be hard to find shoes...

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 05:43 PM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Oh yeah ? Well my cousin Vinny the Easter Bunny will skip YOUR house this year.

Nyah nyah nyah nyah nah

Where does Vinny get his eggs?
Old 03-21-2015, 06:15 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I hate to complain, but this is pretty low intensity stuff to quality as a true rant.

I mean, doesn't a rant elicit raised purple veins in the head and neck and a half shouted message, delivered with true passion?

I'm afraid that this is rant lite or tepid pet peeves.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:20 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Give us time, give us time.

You want this thread get shut down immediately or what?
Old 03-21-2015, 06:48 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Rant thread

I am getting more and more selective with my poultry. I find supermarket chicken disgusting most of the time, slimy, with a nasty texture, bland taste, and a faintly foul smell as well. It makes me want to become vegetarian. So I don't eat a lot of chicken, but when I do I spring for a local, free-range chicken from my local butcher. It is very fresh and tasty.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-21-2015, 06:51 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Is there a place in SF where you can get imported poulet de Bresse?
Old 03-21-2015, 06:51 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I hate to complain, but this is pretty low intensity stuff to quality as a true rant.

I mean, doesn't a rant elicit raised purple veins in the head and neck and a half shouted message, delivered with true passion?

I'm afraid that this is rant lite or tepid pet peeves.
I left purple views in the head and neck and all that junk back at Megacorp. Can't do it anymore.

The OP had a great rant, I don't have any, at least right now.