Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-23-2015, 07:54 PM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Rant on.......The 5% (it seems) increase in beer prices every year no matter what. What slobs are getting that 5%? The wholesaler? The taxman? But no, I am obviously hallucinating because............. !!!!!!!!! EVERYONE KNOWS THERE IS NO INFLATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! KICK!!!!! BASH!!!! TWIST!!!!!! SLUG!!!!!!! REND!!!!! THRASH!!!! CRUSH!!!!
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2015, 08:00 PM   #102
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
I'm not a good ranter so you can use mine.
Got rear ended while sitting at a traffic light. Officer collects our cards then returns and gives me other drivers cards to take a picture with my cell. I call that night when I get home from work and the insurance expired January 2015. Never renewed. Call police, hoping that maybe the officer gave me the wrong/old insurance card. He wasn't in so left message on his voicemail. Called my insurance, they say they have a phone number for other driver. They will call him to get insurance information. No one has called me back. This happened last Friday. Pissed that new truck got hit. Pissed that officer gave me old card. Pissed he didn't return my call. Pissed that my insurance company hasn't called me back. Pissed that other driver may be an uninsured driver. Pissed I may be out my deductible. Maybe I'm a pisser and not a ranter.
Ouch, but it could have been one of your Vette's and not the truck.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:02 PM   #103
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choices View Post
I wonder what has happened to all the fruit cakes. I volunteer at a food bank and we gets lots of unwanted hickory farms cr*p and Harry and David exotica but few unwanted fruit cakes.
They are being used as doorstops !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 08:14 PM   #104
Moderator Emeritus

We had a small family gathering at my home here in Texas tonight. Ladies wanted pizza brought in so we men said "go for it"! Their (ladies) consensus was Domino's with thin crust. Men reluctantly agreed with the stipulation that one pizza (if you call thin crust a pizza ) have anchovies on it. Ladies agreed.

Ladies placed the order then told us guys that Domino's doesn't have anchovies available as a topping.

WTF?? What the h**L kind of a pizza place doesn't have anchovies...especially in Texas!

When the pizza's came, we men were surprised how thin the crust was. The cardboard box bottoms were thicker. We are not sure who to be peeved at..!
Old 03-23-2015, 09:04 PM   #105
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think the real fruit cakes had so much rum in them that everyone was delighted to eat them.

I suppose Prohibition put an end to that....
Old 03-24-2015, 04:07 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkTinkerer View Post
Anybody remember playing with mercury in their hands?
Sure do. My dad gave me a jar of mercury and and long glass tube to make a barometer. Hours of fun playing with the stuff. I did have sense enough not to eat it so I guess I'll be okay.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:37 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkTinkerer View Post
... Anybody remember playing with mercury in their hands? All they told us was "WASH YOUR HANDS!" after sticking our fingers in a jar of the stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Sure do. My dad gave me a jar of mercury and and long glass tube to make a barometer. Hours of fun playing with the stuff. I did have sense enough not to eat it so I guess I'll be okay.
Even eating it would have been OK, liquid mercury really isn't absorbed that easily:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercur...mental_mercury

Quote:
Cases of systemic toxicity from accidental swallowing are rare, and attempted suicide via intravenous injection does not appear to result in systemic toxicity,[1] though it still causes damage by physically blocking blood vessels both at the site of injection and the lungs.
Sounds like the danger might have been choking on it!

Supposedly, the gaseous form like that released from a broken CFL is a much more dangerous form.

Lead builds up in the body, I'd be careful with exposure to that as well. If I get curious, I'll look it up later compared to mercury.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 05:00 PM   #108
Give me a forum ...

I had lead poisoning or actually very high lead levels. We used to shoot every weekend at an indoor range. Shot a lot of .45 acp with 200 gr swc lead. Of course there's nothing but recycled air in there; except for 12 other folks many that are shooting lead too. Owner told me it was over 1MM to get filtration(it's hazardous don't you know?). Extra exposure due to tumbling brass indoors to reload 300 rounds weekly. Handling each 200 grain bullet. Lots of lead.

Out of curiosity I asked doc to check it. Don't recall the number, but it wasn't good. He asked if I was eating any. What I learned it was the tumbling of the brass that had held the lead round was a huge issue. Don't tumble indoors or shoot indoors anymore. Shower immediately after shooting or handling lead, and mines normal.

Sitting in the basement undisturbed, probably ok. If you're worried get tested. If you want to read more there's a lot on firearms and reloading websites. IIRC both Brian Enos and 1911 forums have stickys on lead.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 05:21 PM   #109
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
But, but, but on the other side of the coin, we were once treated by my brother-in-law and his wife to some free-range chicken. They bought these smallish chicken at a Hispanic store. They told me you could pick the live chicken, which were then taken out back to be killed and cleaned. Of course, the chicken would be more expensive, though I did not know by how much.

How did it taste? Well, I did not notice that it was any tastier, because I could not get over the texture. It was chewy, like jerky! I had to go floss my teeth immediately afterwards. These were more than free-range. These chickens ran daily marathons!
The meat was tough because it was not aged after slaughter before cut up and cooking. Needs to be aged on the bone six to eight hours before cut up.
sanfanciscotreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 05:24 PM   #110
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I think they must be using them for the rotisserie chickens sold by grocery stores. Seems like they are so puny and all skin and bones (at least at my store).

Like you, I am concerned about the hormones used in raising most chicken, though.
Hormones are not added to chicken feed. Number one it is not allowed per FDA regs. Number two it would be very expensive an would have to be injected. Addition to feed would lead to breakdown by the digestive process.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:29 PM   #111
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Especially this set of statements:

If you see the words "no growth hormones" on a package of chicken at the grocery store, Lacy said it's just marketing. "There are no hormones added to any chickens in the U.S.," he said.

A study by Mississippi State University in 2013 on growth hormones in poultry denies the use of hormones in chicken breeding, saying hormones have been banned in U.S. poultry production since the '50s.

"Some of the confusion and misunderstanding may stem from the fact that the poultry and beef cattle industries operate under different regulations," the report said. "While growth hormone use is banned in poultry production, it is a perfectly legal and accepted practice in the beef cattle industry."
Supporting the poster above, quoted from my previous post...hormones used in chicken production were banned over 70 years ago in the U.S.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:35 PM   #112
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNU View Post
Was doing the grocery shopping the other day and picked up some chicken stock. Did you know they sell it by weight and not by volume? When have you ever seen a recipe that asked for 1 pound of chicken stock? It's like going to the store to grab 8 pounds of milk.
A pint's a pound the world around.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:39 PM   #113
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
So, DW and I started on golf after sending our only child to college. Why not? We now have time on weekends and I can't play physical sports due to having too many injuries. Golf seems to be innocently a simple game. Hit a ball that is sitting still on a raised tee with a high tech stick. Use them sticks to put a small ball into relatively large hole. It's a child's game compare to boxing, basketball, soccer and all other sports I played and excelled at.

Well, the "game" turned out to be all but simple which I can't still figure out after 5+ years. It's a child's game cursed by golf God to be unplayable.

The high tech equipment comes with a price tag of the latest iPhone x 5 on average, and you need the latest rev every year or so to stay ahead of others. The stick, one they called a driver is a misnomer - it should be called heartbreaker. $5 per golf ball, gone in seconds for some other golfers to find a few days later.

One would think that spending so much on equipment deserves an inexpensive entry to playing the darn thing.
Heck, no. To be seen in a decent golf course will cost you a few Benjamins, x 2 if DW wants to join in the torture. Then there are golf trips. Airlines charge arm and a leg for shipping extra bags, you know. That's not all. While at it, why not join a private club, pay the initiation fee (they should be paying me!), pay monthly, pay to play tournaments (more humiliation), eat at their restaurants, pay, pay, pay ...? There seems to be thousand ways for golf to empty your pocket.

All the above would be still reasonable to take if I can play golf half way decent. In a course of a 5 hour round, I am unhappy in 4 of those hours, angry for another 45 minutes, and happy for the remaining 15. God knows how many times I uttered expletives in front of total strangers, quit and come back to golf again and again, whined and whined about other golfers, ....

It is a bit strange that DW is still playing golf with me. Other sane wives may have filed for divorce. Perhaps, her refusal to leave me is due to the golf channel playing golf 24 x 7. She seems to be following PGA during the day, European tour in the morning, and watches their replay at all hours. That could explain why her house chores are not done in timely manner. Grrrr.

Who invented Golf anyway? It's a dumb game. Death to the inventor.

Shot a 79 today for a 65 net and won $37.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:15 PM   #114
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Even eating it would have been OK, liquid mercury really isn't absorbed that easily
Wasn't The Mad Hatter supposedly afflicted with mercury poisoning?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:31 PM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Yep. An occupational hazard of working felt in the Victorian era.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:58 PM   #116
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Ouch, but it could have been one of your Vette's and not the truck.
I was going to be in a vette (finally have clear weather) but my sister requested the F250. I was going to take her out when the accident happened. She's going blind but still has some sight. She says she sees better when she's in the F250 because of sitting up higher.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 10:45 AM   #117
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Well, the term "Mad as a Hatter" is based on mercury poisoning that occurred in hat making. But it wasn't from ingesting it, it was from the vapors:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mad_hatter_disease

Quote:
an orange-colored solution containing mercuric nitrate was used as a smoothing agent. The resulting felt was then repeatedly shaped into large cones, shrunk in boiling water and dried.[2] In treated felts, a slow reaction released volatile free mercury.[3] Hatters (or milliners) who came into contact with vapours from the impregnated felt often worked in confined areas.[4]
vapors/vapours? colored/coloured? the quote seems to mix English and American spelling.

Wiki sources say only ~ .01% of ingested mercury is absorbed through the intact gastrointestinal tract, but for lead, it is in the range of 15%-50%. Definitely wash your hands after handling lead, that was drummed into us in electronics manufacturing (I never recall anyone needing to be treated for high lead levels, but maybe it happened).

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 10:59 AM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
it was from the vapors
Now this I know about.......Scarlett O'Hara had them, didn't she?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 12:46 PM   #119
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Wiki sources say only ~ .01% of ingested mercury is absorbed through the intact gastrointestinal tract, but for lead, it is in the range of 15%-50%. Definitely wash your hands after handling lead, that was drummed into us in electronics manufacturing (I never recall anyone needing to be treated for high lead levels, but maybe it happened).
-ERD50
Done electronics and shooting/reloading for years. Was checked for lead but not recently and it wasn't an issue. Did hear of some workers that had lead problems-- assembly line workers that had gotten in the habit of putting the lead solder in their mouths! Don't do that and don't chew on your bullets.

There was an article a while back about the lead paint scare. The researcher was trying to figure out why poor children were more likely to get lead poisoning. There were a lot of papers talking about how malnutrition might increase the uptake of lead in the body. He tried something simple--he tasted a paint chip. Said it was rather pleasant. Conclusion--more likely that young children would eat paint chips if they didn't have other sweets/snacks instead.
ArkTinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 01:11 PM   #120

In high doses, lead can indeed be dangerous.

I had a good friend who managed an indoor shooting range for many years, back when good ventilation was uncommon. He developed lead poisoning and eventually died from it.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote