Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-25-2015, 01:47 PM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
In high doses, lead can indeed be dangerous.

I had a good friend who managed an indoor shooting range for many years, back when good ventilation was uncommon. He developed lead poisoning and eventually died from it.
Sorry about your friend.

I did some reading on lead poisoning. Indoor unventilated ranges are bad. Odd thing is the majority of lead in ranges is from the priming compound not lead bullets. They use lead styphnate(lead tri-nitro-resorcinate) in modern times as opposed to fulminate of mercury that was used till the 1900s. The mercury wasn't removed for health reasons, but for it's affect on the brass cartridge. The primer residue easily becomes airborne and is inhaled.

In indoor ranges that don't have ventilation most use fans to blow dust towards the bullet traps. Sweeping that area or scoring targets is very toxic, cleaning the bullet trap as well. All the lead that is airborne is quickly absorbed by lung tissue.

So it seems like indoor range users should limit the amount of exposure and wash religiously. Not easy to do if you work there.

Reloading the issues are tumbling brass indoors as the dry media picks up lead from cases and can make it airborne. You should not smoke(duh) while reloading due to lead dust getting on the cigarette and inhalation (might be another reason too). Eating and drinking should be put off till after you're clean. Some do wear latex gloves.

Ingested lead gets you quickly too. I'd read the same article as Artinker mentioned. I guess lead paint is sweeter than nothing. Obviously a few people do chew on lead. My dad fished most of his life, he'd normally have a split shoot in his mouth. The ones that you can release, bite on one end then the other, like lead gum. At 96 Dad never had issues but could have.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2015, 02:02 PM   #122
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfanciscotreat View Post
Shot a 79 today for a 65 net and won $37.
Oh, I am glad (not!) that golf has worked out for you "today."

Rub it in. Put a dagger through my heart. Wrap me in a blanket from head to toe and beat me with a baseball bat. Kill me with your best shot. Break my clubs in half and dunk them into Pacific Ocean. Hurt me. Hurt me. Hurt me.

I shot an 108 in a tournament two weeks ago Saturday. The next day in a casual round, I shot 84 which would have won the tournament going away.

Life is a bitch then you die.

I can rant and rave with anyone, any subject, any time as I had a lot of practice in real life.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:55 PM   #123
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post

I shot an 108 in a tournament two weeks ago Saturday. The next day in a casual round, I shot 84 which would have won the tournament going away.
There are golf Gods, you know...they apparently are screwing with you!
Old 03-29-2015, 05:02 PM   #124
Moderator Emeritus

In the last six months DH and I had to cancel two flights on Southwest Airlines. No big deal, because we got full credit for them. We have to use the credits in the next couple of months so today I booked a short trip to see some good friends at the end of next month.

The payment screen on the SW website asks if you have any credits to apply against the airfare and expressly says two credits may be used per passenger, way before you get to the part about any additional payment. I input our credits, two for each of us, the site shows two credits for each name, all looks good. There is still a balance due so I add our credit card information, and the site then tells me I have used too many forms of payment, to call 800-whatever.

I call and the rep says I am using too many credits, that I can only use a total of four "forms of payment" for the reservation and will have to book each of us separately to use the credits. She does not offer to take care of booking them (which is fine as I like the online system, but still....). I thank her for that information and point out that it is not what the website says, but whatever.

So I go back to the SW website to make our reservations individually, mine first. In the five seconds it takes to make DH's individual reservation, one leg of the trip has jumped up $30. Grrr. It's not even a trip we need to make, it was just to use the credits before they expired. Rant over.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:02 PM   #125
Give me a forum ...

SW credits can be a PITA. I found that prices had dropped on a ticket that I bought for a relative to visit us and got a credit, only to find that the credit is only good for that relative - I can't use it.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:43 PM   #126
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
We had a small family gathering at my home here in Texas tonight. Ladies wanted pizza brought in so we men said "go for it"! Their (ladies) consensus was Domino's with thin crust. Men reluctantly agreed with the stipulation that one pizza (if you call thin crust a pizza ) have anchovies on it. Ladies agreed.

Ladies placed the order then told us guys that Domino's doesn't have anchovies available as a topping.

WTF?? What the h**L kind of a pizza place doesn't have anchovies...especially in Texas!

When the pizza's came, we men were surprised how thin the crust was. The cardboard box bottoms were thicker. We are not sure who to be peeved at..!
You should have called me and Mr B.

I'm a native Noo Yawker, as in raised 35 miles from Noo Yawk City.
He's from Baaah-ston. Both are the undisputed pizza capitals of the domestic United States.

We make killer thin crust pizza (pizzer for the Boston crowd). His is made one way (Bostonian), mine the other (NYC style). We take turns and love both methods.

Feel free to bribe me for the sauce recipes and prep.

PS No anchovies until after it's cooked.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:42 PM   #127
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post

I'm a native Noo Yawker, as in raised 35 miles from Noo Yawk City.
He's from Baaah-ston. Both are the undisputed pizza capitals of the domestic United States.
Sorry. It's New Haven, CT.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:24 PM   #128
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Sorry. It's New Haven, CT.
Some good places in West Haven also, if my memory serves me right.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:25 AM   #129

I'm also irked about typical chicken feed (or any animal feed!) seems anything with corn or soy is GMO, and I just don't trust that stuff-my diet has become rather hippy dippy...(however we'll still dine out with friends and not get weird about it) Local organic chicken/eggs, grass fed red meats and wild caught fish here...

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-30-2015, 09:54 AM   #130

Cell phones, smart phones, wrist phones, iphones, phones, phones, phones, ...

I am waiting at a shuttle stop and this perfectly normal looking person is walking toward me, talking loud, laughing, swearing ... Her phone and earphone were hidden so well that at first, I thought she was ranting and raving like a lunatic. I was giving her a wide berth to pass by me and then realize she's just on the phone.

I forget which disaster it was - a ship sinking, a plane crash landed, .... While everyone is scrambling to get away (some have actually perished), an idiot is filming the event with his/her smart phone. What's wrong with his survival instinct? If he is that dumb, he deserves to perish instead of those who died on that crash while trying to save their lives.

I invite my grown nephew to a dinner and he is constantly checking his smart phone while he is eating with us. See that in restaurants all too often - in what seems to be a gathering among friends and/or families, someone or two is carrying on a text conversation with their phones.

Saw in a golf course yesterday. A guy in front group is talking on a phone for two holes and even comes back to my tee box to hit after missing out on his turn and his group has already moved on without him. It must been a life or death phone call .... yeah, right.

I ride company shuttle to work and can see other drivers from the shuttle window. Drivers are checking their smartphone, a few are even texting. Every time I notice a rear ending traffic accidents, I bet the driver behind was fiddling with his/her smart phone. Is it just my imagination or there seem to be more bumper to bumper accidents these days?

What would be like if a huge sun flair knocks off all the cell towers for 36 hours? Hmm. Nice.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:13 PM   #131
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Some good places in West Haven also, if my memory serves me right.
Here's my all time favorite West Haven pie.

https://plus.google.com/117572250801...ut?gl=us&hl=en

My favorite Boston Place is gone- New Deal Café, just around the corner from Haymarket Square. Always thin crust. My favorite pie here was the aglio e olio.

Ha
Old 03-30-2015, 02:35 PM   #132
Give me a forum ...

Taxes Rant

Had to delay completion of in-law taxes.

Waited until 27 Mar for a K-1. Had no impact on bottom line when entered.

Went to efile and can't, as there are two 1099-LTC forms.

What a sad tax system exists in this country...
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:32 PM   #133
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Here's my all time favorite West Haven pie.

https://plus.google.com/117572250801...ut?gl=us&hl=en

My favorite Boston Place is gone- New Deal Café, just around the corner from Haymarket Square. Always thin crust. My favorite pie here was the aglio e olio.

Ha
Mike's is about a mile south of where I went to school:

University of New Haven : University of New Haven
Old 03-30-2015, 06:48 PM   #134
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Mike's is about a mile south of where I went to school:

University of New Haven : University of New Haven
Oh wow. Small world for sure.

Ha
Old 04-08-2015, 06:22 AM   #135
Give me a forum ...

This week's rant is our Verizon landline. The service on it has been really poor. I called a month or so ago for repair, and they could not hear me! So I called on my cell and they said it would be tested and fixed. Never heard back, and I dropped the ball on followup.

Yesterday I noticed the phone on my desk was blinking "in use". I picked it up, and all noise. Went to the interface device in garage and plugged in a wired telephone. Nothing at all could be heard.

Called service and after 10 minutes they scheduled a call for 48 hours later. I mentioned this was a long wait, and was given to a supervisor. I spoke with the supervisor and was cut to another supervisor mid-sentence. The 2nd one kept saying hello, is anyone there, and so on. They said they could not hear me. Sounds like a conspiracy between wireless and landline to me.

After about an hour I got a text telling me that the line was fine, and it was my phone or wiring. I tried the interface device again with a different phone. Still nothing.

We discussed this last night, and decided to just cut off the landline. Forget it, say goodbye, sayonara.

As I was logging into a few accounts to find our contact info, I got a text message from Verizon saying the tech would be here shortly.

Can't wait to see what he says. I know the problem is caused by 50 year old copper somewhere in this development. We've lost phone every few years, repair guy comes, etc.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:25 AM   #136
Give me a forum ...

I finished my tax return last night. As I am living mostly off after-tax savings, I am paying very little tax.

My return is a lot simpler now that I am retired, but still, each year at tax time, I swear and curse at our tax codes. If I have to do it without a tax program, I might just burst a vein with anger.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:42 AM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post

We discussed this last night, and decided to just cut off the landline. Forget it, say goodbye, sayonara.
we dropped the landline about 18 months ago, primarily because of the robocalls and the political calls.... haven't missed it for a second.. cell phone's bluetooth connects to our old handset phones and works throughout the house as if we still have the landline

cheers
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:49 AM   #138

Rant on rental car fees...just returned from a wonderful visit with friends in Florida.. Enterprise bill was loaded with fees. I caved in on the insurance even though my insurance would cover an accident..weak moment.

All in all, fees, insurance and taxes amounted to 40% of the total expense.

Concession Recovery Fee, Rental Car Facility Fee, SC Rec fee??
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:55 AM   #139
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I finished my tax return last night. As I am living mostly off after-tax savings, I am paying very little tax.

My return is a lot simpler now that I am retired, but still, each year at tax time, I swear and curse at our tax codes. If I have to do it without a tax program, I might just burst a vein with anger.
We must have been separated at birth.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:59 AM   #140
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
?..

We cut the landline last year but easily ported the number (which we have had since 1978) to a new cell phone (dropping my old cell and its number, as few people ever used it anyway). You might want to do that. Several times since then I've noticed we needed to provide the old landline number to verify an account, and there are relatives and old friends who know only that number and not my old cell number.