Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-03-2007, 11:46 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Big reason for me: you can annotate a fax a lot more easily.
And as others said, it takes less time.

At least for "important" documents, I'd rather have a piece of paper I can easily file and make quick copies of than some PDF on a hard drive somewhere. I want a hard copy anyway, just in case.

My mail attachments folder is huge. It takes time to winnow out the few important things from the crap; I have to open up every "124IMG87.jpg" to figure out if it is an important fax versus a picture of a bunny with a pancake on its head? I don't want to be bothered.

I like Want2retire's scenario.. You have traceability and (if all is working as it should) time-stamping. If I didn't have a fax at home, I'd just go to an OfficeMax or copy shop and pay a couple bucks.. just like you would for registered or certified mail at the Post Office. Sam.. take a deeeep breath! :-)

Anyway, imagine the hassle of some admissions-office person having to deal with incoming e-mail attachments of varying types. I remember at w*ork, there were always several levels of nuisance to this: "Did you get my attachment?" "We didn't get your attachment." "We can't open your attachment." "No, we still can't open it." "I must have forgotten to attach it" "It's too big; it won't go through"/"it's too small; I can't read it" bla bla bla. Who has time for all of that -especially chasing people down- if it's just something to be read and then filed? Of course if you need the content to be in electronic form you put up with it.

With the fax it just shows up. I loves me the fax.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2007, 07:47 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
By the way Sam, to have Windows send a fax you need a modem in the computer and to have the modem plug on the computer connected to a phone line.
Thanks. I knew this. I have gotten rid of all my modems a few years ago.

Want2retireQuote:
Quote:
With an e-mail, all you can prove is that you sent it - - you really don't know if they ever received it unless they choose to respond and confirm that fact.
That's how I do it today. I always ask them to respond to confirm.

cube_rat
Quote:
What's a fax? :confused:
My sentiments exactly. The fax was a great technological leap 30 years ago. But its time has long passed.

ladelfina
Quote:
Anyway, imagine the hassle of some admissions-office person having to deal with incoming e-mail attachments of varying types. I remember at w*ork, there were always several levels of nuisance to this: "Did you get my attachment?" "We didn't get your attachment." "We can't open your attachment." "No, we still can't open it." "I must have forgotten to attach it" "It's too big; it won't go through"/"it's too small; I can't read it" bla bla bla. Who has time for all of that -especially chasing people down- if it's just something to be read and then filed? Of course if you need the content to be in electronic form you put up with it.
Yes, this is basically what they all tell me when I suggest email instead of fax. Oh well, I guess it'll take another year or two.

Old 08-04-2007, 09:44 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
What's this obsession with FAX? Why can we email the images instead!
Sam, I am with you 100%. I get really frustrated when someone insists I fax rather than email a jpeg.

I need to hook up a phone line to my computer, and then re-acquaint myself with the options for faxing from the computer, not hard, but I only do it about once/year. And the fax quality is so limited, I can't be sure the document is legible when it gets there, with a jpeg I can see the quality (and send color - imagine THAT!).

Yes, faxing was wonderful in the early 80's, it has long outlived it's usefulness.

-ERD50
Old 08-04-2007, 09:58 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
Big reason for me: you can annotate a fax a lot more easily.
And as others said, it takes less time.
Most of the scanners today have a one-button 'fax' mode. It is easy.

Lot's of software will let you annotate an image, then you have a record in your computer that you could resend w/o scanning again.

Quote:
At least for "important" documents, I'd rather have a piece of paper I can easily file and make quick copies of than some PDF on a hard drive somewhere. I want a hard copy anyway, just in case.
Wow, that's soooo 'old school'

'Important' documents, if in pdf form are very, very easy to back up and keep a copy (even multiples) off-site. Not so easy with paper. I want a (multiple) SOFT copies - JUST IN CASE!

Quote:
My mail attachments folder is huge. It takes time to winnow out the few important things from the crap; I have to open up every "124IMG87.jpg" to figure out if it is an important fax versus a picture of a bunny with a pancake on its head? I don't want to be bothered.
I have my email set to show the images in-line with one click. Not a bother.

Quote:
With the fax it just shows up. I loves me the fax.
Except when it doesn't. Phone line gets dropped, the line is busy, their printer jammed, ran out of toner, ran out of paper, somebody else picked up your fax with their stack, etc, etc, etc.

And - pdf's are better for the environment. No paper, ink, used unless you need it.

-ERD50
Old 08-04-2007, 10:17 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Eh - you gotta FAX problem? Wait till you buy Vista Home Premium on your new machine and then find out that you needed to buy Business or Ultimate just so you could FAX like on every other preceding Windows version. Remember Win 98 that had identifiable Fax ringtones? Then they dropped those? Gee progress is fun! Your cheapest out seems to be to buy the $30 "Snappyfax" program for Vista if you really want a Fax. We did.
WOW! They took out built in faxing in Vista Home 'Premium'?

Isn't the marketing tag line for Vista 'WOW!"?

Another reason I like OSX I guess. It has faxing and 'save to pdf' built into the print dialog (works on ANYTHING that you can print - not dependant on the application). And a Leopard upgrade (10.5) will cost me $129 vs $218 for Vista Home Premium (amazon prices) and will work just fine on my 3 year old hardware, although it looks like they will drop support for my seven year old machine (G3) which runs 10.4 just fine.

WOW indeed.

-ERD50
Old 08-04-2007, 11:49 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_rat View Post
What's a fax? :confused:
my attitude exactly.

when i worked out of the house i had my home phone line. a business line. a dedicated fax line. a cell phone. i had cell phone voicemail, business phone voicemail, home phone voicemail. i had business email, personal email. because i had to keep the fax machine line up & running for work i had non stop advertisements coming in using my ink & paper. i'd get two or four every day. each faxed advertisement seemed like such an invasion of my personal space. i hated that fax machine.

now all i have is my personal email and a cell phone. i am unemployed, unplugged & fax free.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 01:08 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
My kids have to send one page to the universities, and the universities insisted that the page be faxed!
I hope that's not for a computer engineering program...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 09:18 AM   #28

;-) Thank god, no. They had to send a copy of the Texas Prepaid Tuition Plan to the finance office.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:28 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Another advantage of scanning and emailing: You will have a backup copy when you back up you system.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:46 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
When we moved our corporate offices in 2000, I insisted that the FAX number was removed from all our new business cards. Of course, email addresses were included. This got the volume way down, especially junk FAXs but also encouraged routine use of attachments.

The employees asked" "Is it OK to give out the FAX number when requested." I said: "Of course". We even had it on our corporate voicemail greeting as an option. But we did not get on junk FAX mailing lists.

Incoming FAXs were routed electronically to individual emails by the PBX, further reducing paper clutter.