Join Early Retirement Today

Rants: FAX
Old 08-03-2007, 11:12 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Rants: FAX

What's this obsession with FAX? Why can we email the images instead!
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2007, 11:39 AM   #2
Dryer sheet aficionado

Fax by phone? (not thru internet)
It is simpler for a couple of pages of docs.
By the time I get the scanner and sw up, scanned and pdf'ed the file and hope the email attaches. I could have fed the fax machine and checked CNBC and had a cup of java.

Er, it also prevents idiots from sending me 25MB of idiotic graphics to tell me something I don't want to know.
But that is a new rant.
me_no_boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 11:46 AM   #3

For me it's a frustation on both sending and receiving. The longest documents I have done so far is only a few pages.

My kids have to send one page to the universities, and the universities insisted that the page be faxed!
Old 08-03-2007, 11:55 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Let's see....

You have a hard copy of the 'original'... no photoshop (yea, I know you can do it...)

No chance of being stolen as it goes across the web...

You get the same 'thing' all the time, a piece of paper with the info on it.. (no tiff or jpeg or whatever other kind of file people send stuff to you)..
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 12:23 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

efax!

You can print right from your computer to efax. Maybe not worth the money to you, but my LLC believes in taking very good care of all of it's employees (me).
Webzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 12:31 PM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

To send, I use a scanner, and you can fax as a printer within Windows (maybe I'm stating the obvious?)

Receiving is a pain.... you can get a free eFax account if you receive less than 20 pages per month; otherwise I think it's way overpriced.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:34 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Eh - you gotta FAX problem? Wait till you buy Vista Home Premium on your new machine and then find out that you needed to buy Business or Ultimate just so you could FAX like on every other preceding Windows version. Remember Win 98 that had identifiable Fax ringtones? Then they dropped those? Gee progress is fun! Your cheapest out seems to be to buy the $30 "Snappyfax" program for Vista if you really want a Fax. We did.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 12:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick S View Post
To send, I use a scanner, and you can fax as a printer within Windows (maybe I'm stating the obvious?)
May be not the obvious. I am not aware of this feature. Are you saying that I can enter a fax number and have Windows send it for me? I don't have a fax machine (got rid of it a long time ago).

Please elaborate.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:44 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I still use an HP LaserJet II printer because the print quality is so much better than digital. Printing digital documents from e-mail to my Laser printer is a huge hassle, very slow and pages stop, error messages, etc. I always request faxed documents. Or better yet, use an overnight service like Fed Ex if the document is long. My boss refuses to buy a scanner and I'm really with him on that one.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 12:59 PM   #10
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
May be not the obvious. I am not aware of this feature. Are you saying that I can enter a fax number and have Windows send it for me? I don't have a fax machine (got rid of it a long time ago).

Please elaborate.
Glad to!
As someone mentioned though, it looks like if your OS is Vista, they've taken a step backwards. I'm staying on XP as long as I can.
If you go from your Start menu to Printers and Faxes, you can add a fax there. It becomes a printer driver. You take your scanned document, saved in whatever format suits you (word doc is fine) and print it. Under printer choices, once you have Fax installed, you can choose this and it'll ask if you want a cover page and what # to send it to.

I hope this is clear... let me know if I can help more.
Also, if you do a Windows Help search on Fax, it'll give you instructions.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:06 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Hp Lj Ii

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
I still use an HP LaserJet II printer because the print quality is so much better than digital. Printing digital documents from e-mail to my Laser printer is a huge hassle, very slow and pages stop, error messages, etc.
I'm a former HP LaserJet engineer.

There are a couple of things you could try with your HP LJ II to get it to print better. (The II is before my time, but I've worked with it's great-grandchildren and other descendants.)

1. Buy a memory upgrade, if there's one available for that printer anymore.
2. Select the lowest print quality in your driver. For text, 600dpi should be sufficient. (Egads, the II might be old enough so it might only be 300dpi!)
3. Buy a newer printer. IMHO, the most recent HP printers, especially on the low end, aren't the quality that the older printers used to be, particularly with the plastic parts. But the 4000/4100/4200/4300 series printers are all really good; I like the latter two the best, but you can probably get a used 4100 for pretty cheap somewhere, and it should last you a long time and be a better, faster version of the II.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 01:09 PM   #12
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:

Please elaborate.
Even easier, google "I want to free fax" and try one of the websites for trial period. Sometimes the windoze fax requires files you may not have in your OS. I am lazy so I used faxzero for a small fee. You can buy a fax/copy machine for $15 also. I used mine until the ink ran out and donated the darn thing to the landfill.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_no_boss View Post
You can buy a fax/copy machine for $15 also. I used mine until the ink ran out and donated the darn thing to the landfill.
Where do you find a $15 fax/copy machine? I would do the same thing if I can get my hand on one.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:23 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
I'm a former HP LaserJet engineer.

There are a couple of things you could try with your HP LJ II to get it to print better. (The II is before my time, but I've worked with it's great-grandchildren and other descendants.)

1. Buy a memory upgrade, if there's one available for that printer anymore.
2. Select the lowest print quality in your driver. For text, 600dpi should be sufficient. (Egads, the II might be old enough so it might only be 300dpi!)
3. Buy a newer printer. IMHO, the most recent HP printers, especially on the low end, aren't the quality that the older printers used to be, particularly with the plastic parts. But the 4000/4100/4200/4300 series printers are all really good; I like the latter two the best, but you can probably get a used 4100 for pretty cheap somewhere, and it should last you a long time and be a better, faster version of the II.

2Cor521
Thanks so much, I'll keep this info. on file; we talk about buying a new one every few months.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 01:29 PM   #15
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Where do you find a $15 fax/copy machine? I would do the same thing if I can get my hand on one.
Be in line early at Fry's.
Send in rebate for $20.
The scam is ink cartridge cost $45.
I will not use it enough to justify before drying ink clots it. HP is good at this game. All the profit is in the ink.
I got a scanner for free (just paid tax) after rebate and it works. It is not that hard if you live in a large city.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:09 PM   #16

Oh, ok. Standing in line and sending in rebate are not my preferred activities ;-)
Old 08-03-2007, 06:22 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

By the way Sam, to have Windows send a fax you need a modem in the computer and to have the modem plug on the computer connected to a phone line. And if you're using dialup you cant be connected to the internet at the same time as your fax send/receive.

You might solve the printer and fax problems with a new Laser all-in-one printer/copier/fax. They go on sale for about $100 from time to time. I just picked up a Canon for $99 last month.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 06:25 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Check out Craigslist - you are likely to find a FAX / printer for almost nothing.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 06:26 PM   #19

What's a fax? :confused:
Old 08-03-2007, 06:40 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
What's this obsession with FAX? Why can we email the images instead!
OK, here's a wild attempt to tackle the original question. I may be way off, but - -

If a university requires some application materials to be faxed to them, then afterwards you have PROOF that they received them, from the FAX machine, that you can provide if they claim you didn't send the stuff in time. It's a handshake sort of thing.

With an e-mail, all you can prove is that you sent it - - you really don't know if they ever received it unless they choose to respond and confirm that fact.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote