Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-22-2009, 01:33 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
When do you guys do that, anyway? Didn't it used to be sometime this month, or was that changed to next month?
It's coming up. I just had to explain to someone that EDT was three hours after Arizona MST but EST was only two hours later than MST. I don't think that they got it. Thank goodness for Hawaii since our difference never changes.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2009, 05:09 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
When do you guys do that, anyway? Didn't it used to be sometime this month, or was that changed to next month?
OK, it's early and I'm bored so I looked it up. Daylight Savings Time ends on November 1st this year. Daylight Time

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:48 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Not only can we not have one standard time, we can't even have a standard date for changing the time.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:56 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Half our clocks are the "atomic" kind that get their time from that WWVB Atomic Clock time signal. These clocks do eventually do the savings time switch themselves, but sometimes it's delayed. Or if it's not delayed, you get the alarm going off too early - I've had that happen more than once!

Of course these clocks don't know if you are in a state that does not observe daylight savings, but most state do.

Yes, retired 10 years, but I still use an alarm clock.

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:08 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Except for the semi-annual Media arm-waving, I rarely think about it any more. All of our wall clocks are radio controlled (WWV). My "Watch" is a cell phone (and I suppose if I ever need it, my Alarm Clock). My compurers are synchronised with "Time-1.nist.gov" every week.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:23 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

In my working days I liked the "fall back" in time. That extra hour was precious. Now it is irrelevant and another PITA as I change the bedroom clock, the stove clock, the microwave clock and the living room clock. The car clock is difficult to remember how to change so I just let it be right half the year and wrong half the year. At least the phone and computer take care of themselves.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:30 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
When the computer clock doesn't agree with all the other clocks in the house.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:02 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Getting back to the vaccines...I enjoyed the article and am really shocked that people are really this dumb. No, wait, I lie.

Really, I KNEW people were this dumb, because my brother said to my sister one day "so I don't think I'm going to get my boys vaccinated--I saw where they give kids autism." Yeah.

I think after my educated and not completely idiotic sister calmly explained that there was no proven correlation that he relented. I mean, the kids already have some dumb genetic material--why handicap them more with preventable illnesses?

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:17 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I mean, the kids already have some dumb genetic material--why handicap them more with preventable illnesses?
I just about fell off my chair!
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:17 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Really, I KNEW people were this dumb, because my brother said to my sister one day "so I don't think I'm going to get my boys vaccinated--I saw where they give kids autism." Yeah.
I had the whole vaccine causes autism discussion with a newly minted mother who was a coworker of mine. When I asked her to recite the last sentence of her argument ("But I heard all about this on Oprah") she suddenly had an epiphany and I now think the is a fan of vaccines. I dunno who to trust more - Oprah's random pseudo-sciency guests or a real MD.

And I had to bite my tongue after listening to my SIL discuss the H1N1 vaccine last night. Yes, there is a non-zero chance of serious side effects from the vaccine, but there are much much larger side effects of NOT getting the vaccine, such as serious cases of DEATH due to getting the swine flu. I'd rather take a 1 in a million chance of serious side effect vs a 1 in 10,000 chance of death if I get the flu (even if my chance of getting it is only 30% - but they are saying it may be higher with this strand of H1N1). Just treat the general public (and family ) like they have a solid third grade education and it makes interaction and explaining things a lot easier.

By the way, I just got the whole family vaccinated this AM for the seasonal influenza variety. Had to use a little wrasslin moves on the oldest daughter. It's getting hard to restrain her - she must have gotten her ox-like strength and stubbornness (and phobia of needles) from one of her parents...

Now to wait and see if anyone has some H1N1 vaccine before we all get it. There's more than one way to acquire H1N1 antibodies after all!
Old 10-22-2009, 01:34 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Ox-like strength and stubbornness you say?
That sounds just like your wife! Yeah right!

Good for you! Kids are little Typhoid Mary's, I tell ya!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:48 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Good for you! Kids are little Typhoid Mary's, I tell ya!
And if they get it, I get it.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:26 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I predict that there will eventually be a story on the national news of a child who was not vaccinated due to vaccine-fear, and then died from H1N1. They will interview the tearful parents, who will say "Please don't make the mistake we did." This will be followed by a vaccine shortage.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:05 AM   #34
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There already is a vaccine shortage! Most seasonal vaccine clinics here were cancelled due to no vaccine.

I just got the seasonal flu mist compliments of the naval clinic where I work. My retired status allowed me to get it. I still need to get it for DD, but can't find any.

I am more concerned with finding the H1N1 vaccine and hope to get it before DD gets it. She is in two schools, so double the amount of runny nose kids.

I sometimes have to use the "daddy head lock" for things. Luckily DD is only 3.5, but is suprisingly strong.
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:10 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerbill View Post
I sometimes have to use the "daddy head lock" for things. Luckily DD is only 3.5, but is suprisingly strong.
I almost resorted to a headlock, but thought the nurse might report me for child abuse!
Old 10-23-2009, 11:20 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

I got my seasonal flu vaccine at Walgreens this year, they ordered early and had a big supply. My old office does vaccines for employees, retirees and family but the clinic that does the vaccines for them can't get any until the end of November. The office generously is paying for vaccines from outside sources.

I am waiting to see when H1N1 will appear. The Minnesota health department website gives the impression that some vaccines went to randomly selected clinics to give to the high risk people. I am high risk but my clinic didn't get any and has no idea when they will.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:23 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Got my seasonal flu shot yesterday. Likely won't get the H1N1 shot unless shortages abate.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:26 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
My old office does vaccines for employees, retirees and family but the clinic that does the vaccines for them can't get any until the end of November. The office generously is paying for vaccines from outside sources.
That is smart. One of the few employee benefits we have remaining is employer paid flu shots administered in the office. Definitely cuts down on prolonged absences due to employee illness, and it probably helps hold down our employer provided insurance premiums since I bet there are less dr's visits and complications requiring rx's and hospital trips with a highly immunized group of employees (this is at a small employer whose insurance is underwritten every year based on claims/health history).
Old 10-24-2009, 11:49 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
OK, it's early and I'm bored so I looked it up. Daylight Savings Time ends on November 1st this year. Daylight Time
Thanks-- you guys can keep that extra hour of Hallowe'en night, too...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 08:42 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I predict that there will eventually be a story on the national news of a child who was not vaccinated due to vaccine-fear, and then died from H1N1. They will interview the tearful parents, who will say "Please don't make the mistake we did." This will be followed by a vaccine shortage.
No, Al. They will say "It was God's will." And nothing will change.