Rationalizing $80 pajama bottoms...

People wear pajamas?

My pajamas are a $10 pair of sweatpants and whatever t-shirt i'm wearing. Maybe a hoodie over the t-shirt in winter. I couldn't imagine spending $80 on pajamas if I was still in the accumulation phase. If I was FIRED and it was easily within budget then that's fine.

Another with a thing about sleeping with guns. Kinda sad.
Oh well - to each their own I guess.

plenty of creepy critters around my home , to the extent i tolerate the venomous reptiles , as a less hostile threat ( they don't attack me as a first option and don't steal much )

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_brown_snake

true it isn't paradise but i own it outright .

I’m wearing Eddie Bauer pajama bottoms now. Wear them almost every night with a T-shirt or sweatshirt. I can rationalize $80 pajama bottoms - especially if they last a lot longer than the cheapo pajama bottoms.

My wife bought me PJ pants, and I have also tried sweat pants. They didn't work for me, and in fact drove me nuts when the pants rolled up to my calves when I toss and turn.

And don't suggest thermal pants with cuffs around the ankles. Tight clothes like that would drive me insane. Might as well wear a straight jacket.

Never spent a dime on pajamas. I wear sweats (gifts from so long ago I don't recall the giver)in the winter and undies in the summer.

Roth made boatloads of cash from selling his blog years ago. Probably doesn't know what to do with all the money.

@ 75 I still go commando, although the lights are always out in the bedroom.:D

Nope. Can't do that. Imagine hearing a noise at night, and fumbling around looking for your clothes before going out to check.

Never want myself vulnerable like that. I always have clothes on to allow me to grab my 357 and be on my feet, or run out of the house if necessary.

Last edited:
I buy my pjs at Costco. So far they have not worn out despite years of use. Maybe he needs these pjs to look as good as most of us do in cheap ones??

JD and I went camping in the woods in Virginia earlier in the year for 3 nights. We are polar opposites. I had most of my gear stuffed into a free reusable Lidl grocery bag while he had a fancy pack. I had an old green army surplus bedsheet that I've had since I was 10 or so while he had a nice fancy sleeping bag. The total cost of my gear was roughly $0 (if you didn't include the $10 for the 2 bottles of champagne I brought).

As far as I can tell it comes down to personal preference. My gear worked just fine for me, and his gear seemed to work just fine for him.

In chatting with JD, the subject of attitudes toward spending money came up. He's getting older and wants to enjoy his money, so he dropped five figures on a deck with a hot tub. He apparently uses it for hours each day. I'd never drop that much $$ on a hot tub because I know I'd rarely use it and it would be more of a hassle to maintain than the value I'd get out of it. From his POV, the hot tub is a great purchase. From mine, it would be a horrible waste of money. But I see his POV for him.

I wouldn't get any value out of $80 pajamas but if that's what makes you happy and you can afford it, why not?

I get a good bit of value out of spending $1500 to go on a couple's vacation to Mexico for a week or two just to eat street tacos, bum around, and enjoy some different scenery but I'm sure that seems like a waste of money to some folks. Maybe others would be happier spending the $1500 on 18.75 pairs of fancy pants pajamas or 3-4 fancy pieces of leather luggage. I'll stick with my free after rebate bookbag and spend the $$ on tacos and tequila instead.

I don’t know what they cost as it was a gift, but a friend gave me a pair of Soma pajamas. VERY comfortable!

However most nights I end up lounging around in a tank top and shorts or sweats as I’m just not used to wearing PJ’s.

a T-shirt is all it takes for me. If someone breaks in I am not going to take the time to get dressed either! Don't need PJ's to use my gun either if necessary.

Nope. Can't do that. Imagine hearing a noise at night, and fumbling around looking for your clothes before going out to check.

Never want myself vulnerable like that. I always have clothes on to allow me to grab my 357 and be on my feet, or run out of the house if necessary.

12 gauge shotgun is under my side of the bed and I can have my hand on it in two seconds. Dog is there too. An intruder would make a lot of noise getting to our bedroom and he would probably trip over the 2.5 foot high oxygen concentrator in the dark hallway too. The 120 db siren would have his attention while my dog would be tearing the flesh off his leg. I really don't need PJ's in that case.

12 gauge shotgun is under my side of the bed and I can have my hand on it in two seconds. Dog is there too. An intruder would make a lot of noise getting to our bedroom . I really don't need PJ's in that case.

+1.

Chambered round is 00 buck. Next up is a slug. Wash, rinse repeat.

If the house is on fire, my robe hangs on the bed post.

High thread count bedding. No PJ's needed or wanted.

Back in the early 80's my father used to kid me about my $35.00 socks. I was still able to FIRE at 33. Now at 65, I pay $3.00 a pair, but I have to buy for four people.

Why fumble for clothes? The sight of a naked retiree might be all you need to scare the intruder away! :D

I can see the headline now.

"Policemen responding to a 9-11 call caught a nekkid elderly man running down the street with a shotgun. Claimed he was chasing after an intruder". :nonono:

I have sensitive skin and buy pajamas in very soft material such as 100% Pima cotton that are expensive. Cheaper materials make my skin itch. Fortunately my favorite department store has a great online sale on New Year's Eve where I can buy pajamas for about $25 instead of $80.

JD's blog was one of the first personal finance blogs on the Internet and he had a good writer's voice which attracted a pretty big following. He acknowledges that he grew up without a saver's mentality and got religion while chronicling his ascent out of debt in an entertaining manner. It was as if his enlightenment and realization about LBYM principles was being recorded in real time. His following attracted the attention of some investors and he sold his blog for an undisclosed amount. I get the Impression he netted 1.5 to 2 million. He continued to write for the blog for a few years but he left the arena once his (three year?) commitment to the investor expired. I think the readership dropped off dramatically once he left and he had an opportunity to buy it back last year, at I presume a fraction of the cost. Since his return, I've noticed a marked difference in his posts. It seems like he has a difficult time coming up with new topics, perhaps because he has exhausted the topic. He's admitted to having ADHD, and he has acknowledged periods of depression. He announced last week that not only is the blog not making money, it is in the red. I'm not sure if the market for financial blogs is now too crowded, or his voice no longer attracts followers. I feel kind of sorry for the guy.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Last edited:
I have a number of pajama bottoms my DW bought me from Old Navy a number of years ago. Although I don't wear them to bed, if it's cool out then I do wear them around the house...as a matter of fact, they are my "life of leisure" uniform (with a t-shirt...I don't want to bother the neighbors THAT much when checking the mail!). I have had them more than 5 years and besides a little fraying at the bottom of the leg cuffs, they are good as new and since they came from Old Navy, I assume they cost no more than about $10 each.

On the subject of FIRE, or ER, or FILL IN THE BLANK WITH A CATCHY RETIREMENT TERM blogs...yes, there are way, WAY too many of them.

Have never done more than glance at the personal blogs. They don't tell me anything the FIRE forum hasn't already either a) espoused or b) shredded.

I

On the subject of FIRE, or ER, or FILL IN THE BLANK WITH A CATCHY RETIREMENT TERM blogs...yes, there are way, WAY too many of them.

I can see the headline now.

"Policemen responding to a 9-11 call XXXXXX shot a nekkid elderly man running down the street with a shotgun. Claimed he was chasing after an intruder". :nonono:

Fixed that for you. I do the sans nightwear thing; we leave our houses mostly unlocked and with an open door or two, and on several occasions have heard noises and sprung from the bed Clouseau style and leapt about the house prepared to terrify any invader.

Back
Top Bottom