Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-11-2010, 03:43 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have used mechanical traps to catch mice in a condo a few years back.

The ideas which were shot down before I bought the traps included going away for a long weekend and letting a boa constrictor loose in the house while we were away. I offered to change the snake to a python, but I was told I missed the point

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2010, 04:04 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
.22LR?
I've considered that. I live in a suburb of Chicago, so it would have to be an undercover job...... Carry the live trap into the garage and sit it on a stack of wood (in case the bullet passes through the animal), close the door and shoot it. Then dump the animal out of the trap and into a garbage bag.

It's not easy to find places to transfer animals to around here since moving animals is technically not allowed and you have to do it sneaky fashion. I used to take them to work with me. The plant bordered a large soccer field complex with grassy, wooded strips between the fields. I'd park at the edge of our lot, take the live trap out of the truck and dump the animal, then just go on into work....... Now I have to drive miles to a forest preserve at a time when there isn't much activity.

Transfered animals seldom do well. They're the "new guy" wherever you take them and probably will struggle to become established in the new territory. So dispatching them at home would probably be easier on both of us.....

Old 03-11-2010, 04:06 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
I've considered that. I live in a suburb of Chicago, so it would have to be an undercover job...... Carry the live trap into the garage and sit it on a stack of wood (in case the bullet passes through the animal), close the door and shoot it. Then dump the animal out of the trap and into a garbage bag.
A friend's uncle had a problem with skunks on his farm. He resorted to live trapping them, putting a sheet over the filled trap, and then dropping them into a bucket of water. Personally, I would have shot them instead, but...

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:17 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
A friend's uncle had a problem with skunks on his farm. He resorted to live trapping them, putting a sheet over the filled trap, and then dropping them into a bucket of water. Personally, I would have shot them instead, but...
Of the dozens of animals I've trapped and transported, thankfully only one skunk.....

Similar to above, DW (bless her heart) threw an old tarp over the cage and picked it up by the handle (through the tarp). At the other end of the trip, we removed the tarp and used a broom handle to push open the door for it to escape. Amazingly, it didn't spray during the whole ordeal!

Our most common digging pests are racoons and possums but there is the occasional woodchuck and the one skunk. Squirrels are numerous but I only thin them out when they get too destructive. All right here in the wilderness of suburban Chicago......
Old 03-11-2010, 04:20 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I think skunks generally get a wide berth. The one exception in my immediate family was when a skunk started to terrorize the feral cat colony on my parents' property (don't ask). No more skunk...

- Will Rogers
Old 03-11-2010, 04:29 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

We have had roof rats recently, (Norwegian, I was told,) our numerous trees provided access to the roof for them. We threw rat poison in packets, (available from Home Depot,) into the attic. Unfortunately, they worked and we had quite a stench for several weeks. Our attic has no flooring or pathway across the almost inaccessable rafters which are filled with insulatation. I located 3 of the rather large carcasses. We could smell others but I couldn't find them. I was hanging from the rafters and digging around the pink stuff. A pest guy gave us some kind of a nuetralizing oder packet that we hung up there where we thought the source was. It helped some, along with some smell good sticks down in the affected rooms that we bought at the grocery store.

But no pitter patter or smell for quite a while now and we have trimmed back alot of the tree branches since then. Good Luck.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:36 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
it had been nesting in my attic for some time because it had gone to the bathroom up there
Wow, you have a bathroom in your attic.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:43 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
Mechanical rat traps with peanut butter as bait...
I only have field mice here in the country. RATS? No way.

Don't forget disease control when playing exterminator.
Please make SURE you wear disposable rubber gloves when handling traps and being anywhere near the non-breathing versions of THEM.
I use a plastic grocery bag to hide the bulging eyed little corpses from direct view when I empty the trap. Seeing THEM absolutely gives me the shivers.
Undo the trap, tie the plastic bag closed and drop in garbage.

I put PB into a separate small sealable plastic container labeled FOR MICE ONLY and use throwaway plastic knives to bait the traps.

Now I've got the willies.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:05 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Wow, you have a bathroom in your attic.
S/he does now.

- Will Rogers
Old 03-11-2010, 05:09 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post

It's not easy to find places to transfer animals to around here since moving animals is technically not allowed and you have to do it sneaky fashion. I used to take them to work with me. The plant bordered a large soccer field complex with grassy, wooded strips between the fields. I'd park at the edge of our lot, take the live trap out of the truck and dump the animal, then just go on into work....... Now I have to drive miles to a forest preserve at a time when there isn't much activity.

Transfered animals seldom do well. They're the "new guy" wherever you take them and probably will struggle to become established in the new territory. So dispatching them at home would probably be easier on both of us.....
When we were dealing with nutria here I live trapped them, dumped them in a 32 gallon plastic garbage can out in the dirt alley, stuck a 22 rifle barrel in the can and popped them. They were quite obliging about sticking their little faces into line - did a number of nutria and one possum that way. Cut Xes into the bullets hoping to maximize damage and keep the lead in the critters. Very fast. Now I'd be a bunch more nervous.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:31 PM   #31

This seems like a situation Iíll need to face again, so I guess I should learn to deal with it myself Ė although having a pro come out once might be worth the money.

Brewer, I have my fatherís .22 but no hunting license.

Iíll go up tomorrow and scout around Ė see if I can profile the enemy.

Live trapping sounds like fun, especially with Velveeta, but we live in an association with houses close together and donít want to pass this problem along Ė and Iím not going out for a drive with a rodent Ė so Iím thinking glue traps and poison. Would this be the recommended option Control rodents with d-CONģ baits and traps products. The odor might be a problem Ė better to deal with this before it really heats up around here.

Thanks all for the response
Old 03-11-2010, 06:19 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I use a plastic grocery bag to hide the bulging eyed little corpses from direct view when I empty the trap.
Empty the trap? Those things are cheap enough, I pitch them with the dead mouse... Use a broom and dust pan, push the loaded trap onto the dust pan and in the garbage it goes. I ain't touching it - even with gloves!
Old 03-11-2010, 07:03 PM   #33
Administrator

For a couple months, I heard noises that sounded like mice or squirrels up in the attic. I finally went up and dumped a bunch of mothballs all over the attic. I haven't heard any sounds since.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:45 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Regarding 22LR, there is a 22 shotshell. Yes, tiny little shots loaded into a 22 round. I do not know if the shot is enough to kill a rat, but should not have a problem dispatching mice. If it works, would be safer than a regular round.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:49 PM   #35
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
. I do not know if the shot is enough to kill a rat...
It is - that's why it is commonly called rat shot...and used in barns, etc.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:54 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

YES, that's right. I remember the term "rat shot" now.

Now, how about larger "game"? Like nutria and skunk? :-)
Old 03-11-2010, 08:06 PM   #37
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No experience with nutria and I have a "live and let live" policy towards polecats.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:18 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
This seems like a situation Iíll need to face again, so I guess I should learn to deal with it myself Ė although having a pro come out once might be worth the money.

Brewer, I have my fatherís .22 but no hunting license.

Iíll go up tomorrow and scout around Ė see if I can profile the enemy.

Live trapping sounds like fun, especially with Velveeta, but we live in an association with houses close together and donít want to pass this problem along Ė and Iím not going out for a drive with a rodent Ė so Iím thinking glue traps and poison. Would this be the recommended option Control rodents with d-CONģ baits and traps products. The odor might be a problem Ė better to deal with this before it really heats up around here.

Thanks all for the response
Snap traps are the easiest and most humane. They now have snap traps that are simple to set and easy to empty, no reason to touch the mouse or rat. Glue traps can lead be horrible and you have to fasten them down as Al said and have to be willing to promptly kill the rat or mouse. Poison has its problems. Slow death. Sometimes rats or mice will move the bait around which can be found by other animals. Snap traps are far less torturous.

This one is good, they make the same for rats:

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:47 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
YES, that's right. I remember the term "rat shot" now.

I have half a box of 22LR "rat shot" in my ammo box right now. Must be 30 - 40 yrs old. I always referred to them as "bird shot" but just a name I picked up someplace. They wouldn't phase a nutria or skunk unless you held the mussle up to their nose. You'd have to step up to a low brass 410 for those bigger critters.

The traps that Martha posted look good......
Old 03-11-2010, 08:48 PM   #40
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We live in a semi-rural area - (i.e. suburbanish houses on a few acres) and I was totally flummoxed when not long after we moved here my kids told me that the cat was, umm, batting around a baby mouse in the living room. She has since dispatched a few...well not in awhile, I think it has gotten around that she is waiting downstairs.

However, we heard sounds in the attic and found signs of rodents. We have a breezeway that attaches our house to the detached garage which is where our dogs (and their food) stay. Getting a metal can and secure top for the food helped but we do have to actually feed our dogs. So the rodents are attracted and then run up into the top of the garage and then through the breezeway and somewhere there is a hole that allows them to get into the house. We have been battling them on and off for about a year.

We've had the exterminator out a few times. The general recommendation is to set the poison that makes them thirsty so they eat it and then leave the house to expire. That seems to work and all seems well and then a few months later, we hear feet again.