Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-12-2010, 10:31 AM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiuxiu View Post
Ugh I recall once having to dispose of a mouse in a sticky trap that was alive, with just it's leg stuck. We had winter gloves on trying to free it but the sticky was stronger than bone as we accidentally snapped the leg, what a horrible sound that was.
We stopped using sticky traps when one of the critters chewed off its (stuck) limb. What a mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasGuy View Post
I had a smiliar problem 2-3 years ago...I kept hearing sounds coming from the attic. I didn't know if it was mice, rats or something else. I finally went up in the attic and waited/watched for awhile and finally saw a squirrel near the chimney area in the ceiling. Apparently it had been nesting in my attic for some time because it had gone to the bathroom up there and had literally caused the outside house overhang/venting area to rot through...pretty gross. Anyway, I called an exterminator and he determined that they were coming in through the chimney. He rigged up some wires near the opening where they were getting in and hooked the wires up to electricity. The only way for the squirrels to get in or out of the attic was to go over the wire. I think I ended up with 2 fried squirrels....not a very humane to get rid of them but at least it worked. After they were gone, he closed up the hole and repaired the roof overhang that had rotted through.
We had a zebra dove find an odd cranny around a fascia board (it overhung an adjacent roof) and start "nesting". The space was 10 feet long and about a foot square, but it packed the whole thing with nesting materials. Quite a mess when it came time to paint up there.

We find cute little fried geckos in our outside breaker panels all the time.

But my favorite critter problem was a huge 440VAC breaker panel behind one of our military training buildings. The building had two separate power feeds so that the Public Works people could shut down one or the other for maintenance or repairs. One morning they announced a shutdown and switched us to the "other" feed. When they shut down the first feed, the building went dark.

When the PWC electrician arrived, he checked the panel's exterior labels to make sure the "correct" feed had been shut off. Looked fine. The next sentence he uttered was "Eh, rats, brah." Then he started unscrewing the bolts to open the panel.

As a crowd of kibitzers submariners gathered I noticed that all the enlisted electricians had subtly, without apparent motion, managed to fade into the back of the crowd. They didn't know what was going to come out of that panel when it was opened, but they were going to let all the mechanics & torpedomen absorb the first firebal. I caught the eye of the senior chief electrician and started to open my mouth to comment-- but he just frowned and shook his head, somehow managing to teleport a few more feet to the rear.

The panel was opened, the electricians tensed & relaxed, and nothing happened. No critters this time. Upon closer examination of the breaker labels inside the panel, it was determined that the exterior labels had been incompetently accidentally switched.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2010, 11:49 AM   #42

Rats. Roof rats to be specific. I'm off to the local HW store for some traps for the attic, and a couple of bait stations for outside. I also need to find a way to clean the attic. Yuck...

Old 03-12-2010, 05:13 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Another thing I do with the mouse snap traps is superglue a peanut to the trigger. It lasts a long time.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:23 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Every time I read this thread, a "Little Johnny" in school joke keeps popping into my head. I can't tell it here.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:13 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Is it the one that starts like this?

One day, Little Johnny's class was reviewing the alphabet. His teacher knew that he had an ''advanced'' vocabulary for his age, so she was trying to avoid calling on him. When the teacher asked for a word beginning with "A", Little Johnny raised his hand. The teacher knew he would say "ass" so she called on Mary Lou, who said ''apple". This continued through most of the alphabet, because his teacher knew that there was a cuss word that Johnny would say for every letter of the alphabet. Then she got to ''R''. She thought for a moment, but couldn't think of any cuss words that began with R, so she called on Johnny....
Old 03-12-2010, 07:29 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Is it the one that starts like this?

One day, Little Johnny's class was reviewing the alphabet. His teacher knew that he had an ''advanced'' vocabulary for his age, so she was trying to avoid calling on him. When the teacher asked for a word beginning with "A", Little Johnny raised his hand. The teacher knew he would say "ass" so she called on Mary Lou, who said ''apple". This continued through most of the alphabet, because his teacher knew that there was a cuss word that Johnny would say for every letter of the alphabet. Then she got to ''R''. She thought for a moment, but couldn't think of any cuss words that began with R, so she called on Johnny....
That's THE ONE !
Old 03-13-2010, 10:43 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

OK, I had to google little johnny cuss word joke. Rats.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 03:06 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Rats...Yikes! I just had to say that.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:14 PM   #49
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Had the best luck with d-CON mice poison. It de-hydrates them so they exit the house looking for water. Then, well, ... bye-bye.

Worked side-by-side with many exterminators (in the early days). This one you can do yourself. Hard if have pets or little kids around the poison. Need to place it where they are not.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:20 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post

My usual spring problem of possums, racoons and ground hogs digging under the porch and patio to make dens has started already. Later it will be squirrels chewing on lawn building and wrecking the bird feeders. I do use live traps for all these as I haven't been able to locate anything to do a more "permanent" job with animals this large. But it's a pita driving miles away to relocate them when I could just be dropping them into a garbage bag and then into the trash.......
Many folks around here swear by mothballs tossed under decks and such.
I've got acres of woods for them to live in, (and most do) but I've got one skunk that did not get the memo---hoping mothballs help.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:25 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
OK, I had to google little johnny cuss word joke. Rats.
I googled as well....Not just any rats
Old 03-14-2010, 04:23 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
Size?
Type?

Now behave....
Old 03-14-2010, 05:17 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Size?
Type?

Now behave....
Describing those rats, concurrent with behaving, is way beyond my capability
Old 03-14-2010, 05:55 PM   #54

Last year we had a family of possums under the barn. Caught one of the little ones in a have-a-heart trap only to have DW tell me to let it go. Watched it run back under the barn.

Also did battle with honey bees under the barn last year (kids stung ... not good) until the possums dug out the bee hive. Did a better job than I could with any sprays.

I'll take the possums over the bees any day.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:15 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan View Post
Last year we had a family of possums under the barn. Caught one of the little ones in a have-a-heart trap only to have DW tell me to let it go. Watched it run back under the barn.
Last year I caught a mommy possum with babies still attached. I had to get that bunch moved out of here before DW saw or I would have been building them a home in the backyard......

Quote:
Many folks around here swear by mothballs tossed under decks and such.
I've got acres of woods for them to live in, (and most do) but I've got one skunk that did not get the memo---hoping mothballs help.
I tried moth balls but no success. What does seem to help is when I'm refilling a hole they've dug, I shove in a few bricks, then the dirt, stomping it all down. I've had a number of instances now where a hole is started but abandoned when they get to the bricks. But, of course, there have also been some holes that were completed with the bricks just tossed aside.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:32 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

I just recall the following quote.

"The early bird gets the worm but the late mouse gets the cheese" - Anon.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:55 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
Yeah. I got that.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:15 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

My rat experience comes from a two-week epic ratto a mano battle with a rat that our cat brought in through the cat door (the cat lost interest). At one point the rat nibbled through the rubber hose in the washing machine to get to the water inside.

Instead of one hole at the bottom which would have drained all the water at once, the rat had started at the top, nibbling down progressively as he drank the water. Coincidence?

I also found a partially filled out netgrocer.com order form for cheese and peanut butter...
Old 03-16-2010, 11:50 AM   #59

Phase one is now complete. I purchased a variety of traps, deployed them in three places: attic areas with confirmed activity, no activity but possible passageways and outside along some walls in the back. All have food and are not set just trying to get the visitors used to the traps and see which food they prefer.
My outlook is cautious but upbeat ...
Old 03-16-2010, 12:17 PM   #60
Confused about dryer sheets

RatZapper!

This worked well for us, I ordered online at What's the best way to get rid of rats? Rat Zapper!, but believe they might be available at OSH. We baited them with dry dog food.