Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-06-2013, 04:49 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I see this:
Thanks. Yep, dassa rat.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2013, 04:59 PM   #22

OMG, we've lived through this. And the bird feeders were THE culprits. All gone now. I feel for the birds, but I will not have rats....

We looked up someone in the yellow pages, who asked if we wanted him to come today. "Why yes, I replied, my father's funeral is tomorrow" (it really was). He came and told us he'd place traps for $150. DH thanked him and said he could handle that. The guy then handed him a bill for $50. WTH?

3 days later we got a bill for $365 for the emergency/same day consultation. Long story short, but it turned into a case with the state Attorney General's office, along with a story on the local TV station about their shoddy business practices. They now have an F on the BBB site, along with a mile long list of complaints on Angie's List. I'd loved to have gotten the $50 back, but am just glad their reputation is trashed.

We were in duress due to the funeral, and just didn't do our homework. Never, ever again....

Good luck. Got a cat?

Old 06-06-2013, 06:04 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyro View Post
That's one way rabies (and other nasties) are spread that aren't to healthy for the good li'l woodland creatures. I used to bury em (when I could) to protect the other critters, but lately I've had to put the corpses in a plastic bag headed for the landfill.
Maybe I've got something to learn about this? My reasoning was that these rodents were killed by a trap so they are safe for creatures to eat. Am I wrong?

I found this factoid:
Quote:
Rabies is caused by a virus belonging to the family Rhabdoviridae. It was first recognized over 3000 years ago, and is now found on all continents except Australia. A virus is a very small and simple organism that must live inside an animal to survive. It is made up of a single genetic (RNA) strand, a protein cover, and an outer envelope. Rabies is most often transmitted via saliva when an infected animal bites another animal. The rabies virus can survive and cause disease in all mammals, including humans. Once a virus is living inside of an animal, the animal is called a host.
I suppose my dead rat could be cannibalized by another rabid rat before I get to the situation. Maybe I should just put out rats that have no signs of gnawing -- this is generally the situation.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:08 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
We were in duress due to the funeral, and just didn't do our homework. Never, ever again....
We've seen some really questionable (and costly) practices by these sorts of rodent services over the years. That's why I prefer to handle it myself.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:49 PM   #25

My formerly feral cats have my rats on the run. The cats DO get rabies shots.
Matthew 6:34 (KJV)
Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
JakeBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:43 PM   #26

A calico cat would be my choice for a problem solver!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:06 PM   #27

Thanks for the input....am relaying all of it to DH. He loves all animals, while i love most animals.

I thought the Rat Zapper was a joke, but it is real and i like it. DH....not convinced yet.

Thanks again. I have another creepier story involving a rodent which i may share some day. From decades ago....
Old 06-07-2013, 01:57 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I doubt any rabid animal would be eating anything unless it was very close to the time they were infected.

I trap mice in my garden shed and woodshed from about mid October to mid December. I usually have 60-70 and I toss them out into the yard. The crows come and take them and quickly learned to check this spot every day multiple times a day. Often the mice are gone within 10 minutes of tossing them out!

I shot a few squirrels and it was funny to watch how cautious the crows were about pecking at the body! After a while they were confident but for the 1st 10-15 minutes they'd approach it and sometimes peck at it but would rush away as if expecting the squirrel to jump up and attack them! Crows feed on road kill and that offers openings to the carcass but a shot squirrel is intact and they have a difficult time with the carcass typically pecking at the easy stuff (I won't gross you out) and then abandoning the carcass.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:23 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Maybe I've got something to learn about this? My reasoning was that these rodents were killed by a trap so they are safe for creatures to eat. Am I wrong?
The fresher the kill, the greater the risk, but there are variables.
eating meat of rabid animal - Google Search

Rats are not generally considered a high risk for rabies, but they are known to carry & spread over 35 other diseases, directly and/or indirectly. Some diseases can have incubation periods of several days to weeks or even months, during which time the infected animal may appear and behave normally, but still be infectious if consumed by another animal (depending on the disease).

To get a better idea of the specific risks (if any) in your specific area, I'd call your local animal control officer, health department, or veterinarian.

CDC - Rodents

Quote:
Dead rodents or nests

Wear rubber, latex, or vinyl gloves when cleaning up dead rodents or nests.
  • Spray the dead rodent or nest and the surrounding area with a disinfectant or a mixture of bleach and water.
  • Soak rodent, nesting materials or droppings in solution for 5 minutes before wiping up with a paper towel or rag.
  • Place the dead rodent or nesting materials in a plastic bag and seal tightly. Place the full bag in a second plastic bag and seal.
  • Throw the bag into a covered trash can that is regularly emptied.
Remove gloves, and thoroughly wash hands with soap and water (or use a waterless alcohol-based hand rub when soap is not available and hands are not visibly soiled).
CDC - Cleaning up after rodents - Rodents
Personally, I've never done the "soaking rodent" step, but I do all the others with any rodents caught inside the house, including double bagging.

I once had a neighbor who got hepatitis B from contact with dirt/dust from a squirrel nest in a crawlspace above the ceiling of her apt., and other friends who got very ill (dx unknown) from cleaning up rat droppings in an old farmhouse they were renovating.

Tyro
Old 06-08-2013, 02:36 PM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Place the dead rodent or nesting materials in a plastic bag and seal tightly. Place the full bag in a second plastic bag and seal.
When I trap a mouse in our storage space, after bagging it in a ziplock bag I toss him in the freezer (second freezer we have out in the garage) and on trash day out he goes.

This avoids any decomp during hot weather. Of course, if someone in your family might freak out when they look in the freezer and find a "leftover mouse", you might not want to do this...
Old 06-08-2013, 09:24 PM   #31

Sumday, i just re-read your post. Awww gee, so sorry that happened. Ugh

Good news/bad news today. Caught a rat in the trap; however, it was not the original rat (smaller). DH and i let it go in a field about a mile away. New peanut butter is in the trap.

This may happen several times until DH agrees to the Zapper thing.