Join Early Retirement Today

Raw paleolithic diet
Old 09-21-2007, 11:29 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Raw paleolithic diet

having lived up in the SF/Berkeley/Bay area, i thought i had seen it all, in terms of diets at least...even had friends who had been to the "raw" restaurant and got the cookbook etc.

but the other day, caught an episode of wife swap (i'm not an avid fan i swear!) and one of the families were raw foods folks...but i had thought that meant veggies.

NO! they eat raw meat!

the whole family ate raw chicken, eggs and other meat! i was seriously surprised.

but after the shock i did some research and found, of course there is a community of people who adhere to the belief that this diet will be better for them. Raw Paleo Diets Which Include Raw Animal Foods: Raw Meat, Raw Fish, Raw Dairy

it was still hard to swallow and the family on the show was two adults and two teens - all who seemed to believe very strongly (guess you would have to!) in their diet.

the one thing i think they had going for them was that they raised their own chickens and cow - so they knew where their meat and dairy was coming from. i don't think i'd ever consider or advocate people considering this diet if they were going down to the super mart and picking up the mass produced meat/dairy/eggs...

even if you think this is the diet we had eaten for thousands of years, haven't we cooked food long enough that this isn't the diet we are meant to eat now? i have seen the survivor guys on tv chomp on some nasty looking raw stuff, but that is in a survival situation...

i've also heard the same rational for why we should feed our dogs raw meat, but pooches haven't exactly been around the fire pit w/ a stick for a few thousand years either

and there is a lot of carpaccio and sushi going on too...but the meat is usually very thinly sliced, the family on the show was munching on some chunks of raw chicken or beef...

would you! do you?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2007, 02:12 AM   #2

I eat raw beef several times a week, and have since my teens. Burger, steaks, the
leaner the better. No particular health reason, it just tastes better. I have only gotten
mildly sick a few times in my twenties when I was cheap and ate some meat I had
stored for a few days and smelled a bit questionable.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:19 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Raw food doesn't bother me, but what are the paleolithic longevity statistics like?
bpp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 08:36 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Raw beef.... no
Raw pork.... h*ll no! Not healthy.
Raw chicken..ewww, now that is disgusting
Raw fish...... sure, I grew up eating high quality sashimi often!

Guess it's a cultural thing!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 09:08 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

My brother andhis wife ae raw foodists, but they are vegan and very picky at that. They have a retail store catering to raw foodists: Exotic Superfoods

I think they would sooner eat a stick of margarine than chow down on a raw hunk of chicken.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 09:24 AM   #6

sometimes i'll eat a piece of raw tofu while i'm preparing to cook it.

others who aren't me even eat animals while they are still alive. and we get horrified just from a shark attack. imagine being eaten alive. those poor oysters.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 09:32 AM   #7
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingInvestor View Post
I eat raw beef several times a week, and have since my teens. Burger, steaks, the
leaner the better. No particular health reason, it just tastes better.
Same here. A favorite is ground sirloin. When I cook beef/lamb/goat, I like it just about raw in the middle (but warmed to body temperature).

Ate raw eggs, milk, beef, fish when a child on the farm; have also had raw clams and oysters when I lived near the ocean.

Too much cultural conditioning to do raw bird.

I imagine pork raised indoors wouldn't be much of a health risk.

I also eat a lot of raw fruits and vegetables.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:43 AM   #8
gone traveling

Well done everything. I even like a hard skin on my chocolate pudding!
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 11:19 AM   #9

I remember returning from a remote assignment in the Air Force, from a country where little or no beef was eaten. I stopped off in Germany on the way home, went to a restaurant and, speaking no German, my eyes zoomed in on Steak Tartare. I ordered it, my mouth watering while thinking of a juicy steak. They brought out what looked like raw hamburger with a raw egg in the middle. As hungry as I was for beef, I sent it back.
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 12:03 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

I caught that show too and was totally grossed out.
All I can say is yuck!....No way, no how will I ever eat raw meat.
I think it is a cultural thing....I grew up in India and love all sorts of spicy vegetarian dishes....eat meat a few times a month and everything (including filet mignon) has to be well done.
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 12:52 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Ever wonder why eskimos didn't get scurvy? They sure didn't have any fresh limes or lemons in those igloos.

They eat their catch raw - animals can produce vitamin C, enough for humans to get by. But only if you don't cook it (heat destroys Vitamin C pretty quickly), and you need to eat the parts that have the C in them, liver, skin, yummy. And raw.

Other cultures get through the winter with sauerkraut or kim-chee. Cabbage is high in C and those dishes are pickled, not cooked. Just warming the kraut may not be high enough or long enough heat to destroy much C, not sure what the limits are.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Fire has been around a long time
Old 09-22-2007, 03:00 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Fire has been around a long time

while hunting gathering tribes had some meat, much of their diet was vegetarian, and a good many of these are indigestible without cooking. Even the gods preferred meat cooked, burnt offerings, and smoking has been around for preservation a long time. Still some of this may have occurred with agriculture when other food became hard to come by. While grains would keep, they would be difficult to eat without grinding and baking or cooking. The modern diet only appeared in the 17th century. Before that most food was boiled or stewed in gruels and soups.
aenlighten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 03:50 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Cycling and Khan, are we talking about beef that you get at a regular old grocery store?
Old 09-22-2007, 04:04 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

My ex eats raw meat. Kind of frightening actually.

Ha
Old 09-22-2007, 04:46 PM   #15
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Cycling and Khan, are we talking about beef that you get at a regular old grocery store?
Usually; also from local farmers.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:51 PM   #16
Dryer sheet aficionado

I saw the show too and it was interesting. I cook my meat and that won't change but I might try that toothpaste recipe they used: 1 part clay and 1 part butter. Sure does get em pearly white. 4/5 dentist's friend's brother in law's sister agrees!
roadtoharvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 11:17 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
yes.- and in the old cheap days it was from the about-to-expire bin.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:35 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

A good friend from high school, German-born, went back to Germany in the Air Force and got a big tapeworm from eating beef tartare (sp?).

I have had beef tartare and it was delicious. Also devine sushi. But no, no, no, I don't do that no mo.

The invention of fire saved many lives. Mine included, I daresay.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:16 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Almost as raw

I buy a sirloin or rib steak or strip steak, bone it if there is a bone, and slice it so that I have 2 steaks, each half as thick as the one I started with. They are usually 3/8" or so. Lightly salt and coarsely grind a lot of pepper onto the steaks, both sides. Your knife has to be sharp.

I preheat a very heavy iron skillet for 3 minutes on near high heat, no grease. I toss in a pat of butter, then still on high I fry the steak on one side for 1 minute, turn it and do 40 seconds on the second side. Put it on a heated plate, pour a bit of wine into the hot skillet and scrape it to make a quick sauce. Now you have an incredibly tasty and very lightly cooked steak. With a couple of fried or country style eggs this makes a killer breakfast.

Ha
Old 09-23-2007, 12:54 PM   #20

I love Steak Tartare if it is done properly. I also can't get enough sashimi. To make me even odder I love raw bacon and raw sausages (yes I know that there are health risks attached).

However if I order a steak I have it well done.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote