Join Early Retirement Today

Ray Nagin is really irritating.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:19 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ray Nagin is really irritating.

http://snopes.com/katrina/politics/carcrush.asp

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070129/...trina_hearings

He complains because he doesn't receive enough help from the government, but turns down an offer but a private company to pay 5 mil to the city for the wrecked and unclaimed cars. Instead he opts to PAY over 20 mil to a company to do the same thing. Why should the federal government give him complete control?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Ray Nagin is really irritating.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:30 PM   #2

Cut Ray a little slack. He has had a tough time of it. I agree he's not the sharpest tack on the bulletin board but he might be carrying the heaviest load of any current mayor.

Old 01-29-2007, 03:46 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sorry... can't cut someone slack when they do something that stupid and costing all Americans dollars...

It is a no brainer... put out proposals on how much they will PAY YOU instead of asking how much it will cost to get rid of the cars... the $100 might have won, but if there was more money to be made, then great... but it seems to me the $100 is the starting bid..
Old 01-29-2007, 03:52 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

So none of you think that maybe we aren't hearing the full story?

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 04:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
So none of you think that maybe we aren't hearing the full story?
My thoughts exactly! He's no dummie!
Old 01-29-2007, 05:39 PM   #6
Administrator

Apparently the company that would have paid to remove the cars did not adequately demonstrate the capability to actually do so expeditiously. Mayor Nagin chose the other company in an effort to speed up the process.

Removal of the flooded out cars is the one thing that actually has been done around here.

Not that I'm necessarily a Nagin fan, but I do think he is doing what he can.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 06:23 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
My thoughts exactly! He's no dummie!
This is the same guy who said "New Orleans will be chocolate again." I remember seeing a story about the car removal when I was home for Spring Break last March.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:39 PM   #8

If he didn't think the company could complete the job on their timetable then he puts the option of going with another company for any remaining vehicles. Then it doesn't matter if the first company gets all of the cars out, it would still be cheaper than paying someone to take all of the cars.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:49 PM   #9
Administrator

I think Nagin said that he was unable to negotiate a satisfactory contract with the company that had submitted the cheaper bid. At any rate, I'm glad he didn't mess around with them if they would be unable to perform the task in a reasonable amount of time. The cars are gone, while very little else has been done here.

I'm not a Nagin fan. There are plenty of valid points on which he can be criticized... but possibly this would not be one of them.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 11:28 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Well, yes he is.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:43 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

So your telling me that he could not negotiate an good contract with someone who was willing to PAY for getting rid of the cars... so his second choice was to pay $23 mill And the article says that at first they were going with custodial companies... the company that it talks about was a car crushing company... I think they know more about it than someone who cleans office space..

I bet there were other options that would cost a lot less, but were not pursued since they are paying with someone elses money (namely MINE and YOURS)..

I saw him when the disaster occured... he seemed like a bad politician who deflected blame to others and took none... and after a few days... WHO came to help out HOUSTON.. their mayor did things and got a lot of people out of the city and into Houston (for the detriment of Houston I might add as crime has increased a lot and murder is up a hugh percent...) So, the Houston mayor was able to get things done.... Nagin was not... and both YOU and I know what he meant by a 'chocolate city'.... backpeddling will not change that fact...

NOW, what would have happened if a white mayor had said "We are going to make it a white city" or a "milk city" He would have been driven out of town by the politically correct people... so should have Nagin..
Old 01-30-2007, 09:13 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

An idiot is an idiot, regardless of color.............

He's an idiot, and the people of New Orleans are idiots for RE-ELECTING HIM................... :P :P :P

It was convenient for him to blame Bush and FEMA for their lack of response.........however, when he had the chance to ask for help from the Louisiana National Guard, who had 7000 soldiers available, he didn't make the call............. :P :P :P

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 09:48 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

The folks of the Mississippi gulf coast have a lot to be proud of. Not much money to start with, but they've picked up hammers, used the aid that has been made available, been thankful for the assistance provided (while requesting more), and are getting the job done. I think maybe rural LA is doing okay, too. The case in NO is entirely different. "When are they going to fix my house??!!" The re-election of Nagin by the people of NO , despite his racist comments and ineptitude, speaks volumes.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:32 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem
The folks of the Mississippi gulf coast have a lot to be proud of. Not much money to start with, but they've picked up hammers, used the aid that has been made available, been thankful for the assistance provided (while requesting more), and are getting the job done. I think maybe rural LA is doing okay, too. The case in NO is entirely different. "When are they going to fix my house??!!" The re-election of Nagin by the people of NO , despite his racist comments and ineptitude, speaks volumes.
From what I can tell FEMA's feet draging for new flood standards, and the insurance industry's refusal to pay is what is slowing down most progess in MS.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:36 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem
The re-election of Nagin by the people of NO , despite his racist comments and ineptitude, speaks volumes.
Reminds me of Marion Barry in Washington, DC. He's only human too...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 11:38 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Reminds me of Marion Barry in Washington, DC. He's only human too...
Wasn't there a song........."I'm only human........flesh and blood........a man".............by a group in the 80's...was it Soft Cell??

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 11:43 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude
Wasn't there a song........."I'm only human........flesh and blood........a man".............by a group in the 80's...was it Soft Cell??
Little too subtle again... it was "Human League".

http://www.80smusiclyrics.com/artists/humanleague.htm

I'm just amazed that certain politicians can prove to be such humongous scuzzballs, whether the appeal of their conviction has been denied or not, and yet still continue to be elected to public office. It doesn't reassure one's faith in the human race.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 11:45 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Ray Nagin's got the greatest voice and way of speaking. He always sounds so relaxed.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:02 PM   #19

My sister lived in NO for over 30 years. She had been considering moving for several years, because of the wonderful polititians, the crime, and all the rest of that stuff. Katrina convinced her that it was time to move. Her house wasn't damaged at all by wind, water, or vandals. She sat out the hurricane in her church's basement with other parishoners, family, and friends, then headed to my niece's place in Baton Rouge. From there she headed to Kansas, found a house she liked, sold her NO house in about 2 weeks, and is happier than ever.

She said Nagin was the biggest reason for her move, that he was a twit, and couldn't lead a cub scout pack on a camp-out, let alone a major city in the midst of a national crisis. When she saw the election results with Nagin as winner, she was even more happy that she had bailed out of that swill hole. She misses her friends that have stayed behind, and has invited them to her new digs in KS, but said there was no way she could ever consider going back to stay more than a day or two. MANY of her friends have also left Ray Nagin and his "chocolate factory", and several of them are african-american, black, non-caucasion (or whatever the PC term is now-a-days).
Old 01-30-2007, 06:19 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
Ray Nagin's got the greatest voice and way of speaking. He always sounds so relaxed.
I think he is relaxed. That's a big part of the problem.