Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-24-2012, 09:25 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I have shaved every single day since I was 16 -- submarine duty, camping trips and mountain climbing included. I have been using the Gillette Mach 3 razor for many years now. I, too, get several months on a blade. I insert a new one when the pullling gets too strong. Maybe 4 blades is better, but I'll never know.

I would really like to be able to use a straight razor. I love it when the barber uses one to shave the back of my neck and trim my sideburns. However, I'm not sure how one would start.
I must not be doing something right as I use the same blades but only get 3-4 weeks use from each one. Any longer than that and I would be risking my good looks to scarring. Any tips on how you get such great life out of them?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2012, 12:48 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyro View Post
What's a razor?
+1

Haven't bought a razor or blade in over 15 years.

Occasionally, someone will give me a new rechargeable trimmer for X-mas; not this X-mas, they tend to last for several years.

CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:02 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post

In an attempt at revolt, have pruchased a package of 20 disposable "Personna" twin bladers at Big Lots.... for $1.90. Aside from occasional nicks (cost of toilet paper blood clotters has to be added to cost)... they offer a pretty close shave.
I buy something similar to these. They do the job and I rarely get any nicks. I have used an electric razor but I can shave much faster with the disposable kind. Never felt like I got a close shave with an electric razor.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:11 PM   #44
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTravlin View Post
I must not be doing something right as I use the same blades but only get 3-4 weeks use from each one. Any longer than that and I would be risking my good looks to scarring. Any tips on how you get such great life out of them?

There are a number of things that help:

1) Shave when fresh out of the shower. Your beard will be softer and easier on the blade. Use a good shave gel.

2) Use few, long, slow strokes. The fewest necessary to do the job. Not only does it save the blade, you get less razor burn.

3) At the end of your shave, rinse the blade off in HOT water and shake it a little to get the water off. Lay it down, with the blade up, in a dry place.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:06 PM   #45
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Gumby,

Sounds like you're off to a great start. Please keep us posted. And let us know if the effort warranted yields a superior shave.

Would love to hear Mrs. Gumby's feedback, too.

omni

I have now put in one month of straight razor shaving. I have not cut myself in several weeks. I find that I have become fairly adept with both hands, although I'm still perfecting the technique around my chin and lips. My next goal is to be able to go a little faster. I enjoy shaving, but it's taking a lot of time.

As far as the quality of shave, I find the straight razor slightly better than a double pass with the Gillette Mach 3 (once with the grain, once against). It is, however, infinitely cooler.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:49 PM   #46
Dryer sheet aficionado

Couldn't resist...if you say "rise up lights" It sounds like an Australian saying "razor blades"
Old 03-26-2013, 07:48 PM   #47
Administrator

I thought I would report again on my straight razor shaving progress. I have now shaved with a straight razor every day for 3 months. In just the past few weeks, I have perfected the "against the grain" stroke, and I feel that I am finally getting the "baby butt smooth" shave that was advertised. It has been quite some time since I nicked myself.

I recently purchased a yellow coticule stone from Belgium, as well as several vintage razors from ebay. I was pleased that I was able to hone all the old razors to satisfactory sharpness and I have now shaved with each of them, so I have a six-razor rotation going. I really enjoy the time I spend shaving every morning.

I would like to especially thank FIREd and omni550 for their support and encouragement.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:48 PM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I thought I would report again on my straight razor shaving progress. I have now shaved with a straight razor every day for 3 months. In just the past few weeks, I have perfected the "against the grain" stroke, and I feel that I am finally getting the "baby butt smooth" shave that was advertised. It has been quite some time since I nicked myself.

I recently purchased a yellow coticule stone from Belgium, as well as several vintage razors from ebay. I was pleased that I was able to hone all the old razors to satisfactory sharpness and I have now shaved with each of them, so I have a six-razor rotation going. I really enjoy the time I spend shaving every morning.

I would like to especially thank FIREd and omni550 for their support and encouragement.
I appreciate the update, Gumby! It sounds as though you are the master of the 'baby butt smooth' shave.

Any positive feedback from Mrs. Gumby?

omni
Old 03-27-2013, 05:26 AM   #49
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
I appreciate the update, Gumby! It sounds as though you are the master of the 'baby butt smooth' shave.

Any positive feedback from Mrs. Gumby?

omni
She agrees that my face is smoother than ever, but she still thinks I'm crazy.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:49 AM   #50

Quote:
She agrees that my face is smoother than ever, but she still thinks I'm crazy.
So will the TSA if you try to pack it in your toiletries bag while going carry on.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:17 PM   #51

Mach 4 - I have gone 4 months before blade replacement. Overall the high incremental cost per unit is actually a net savings over earlier razor "innovations" in blade shaving.