Join Early Retirement Today

Razor Blades
Old 09-23-2012, 09:46 AM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Razor Blades

This is a test of age and memory.

Do you remember Howard Cosell... The Friday Night Fights... Jim McKay... The Wide World of Sports... and the lead-in commercials?

"To look sharp...To Feel Sharp.... Use Gillette Blue Blades, for the quickest slickest shave of all."

Blue Blades - in a thumb operated dispenser of ten blades that usually cost about $1.00.
.................................................. ................................................
Yesterday, I returned to WalMart for replacement blades for my Pro-Glide 5... or Gillette fusion or whatever... doesn't matter... Teeth gritted to have to pay $4 for a few lousy blades... Aaargh!... No More...

No two packs or four packs... One Choice... A ten Pack... for $31.42

Is this a sign of the times?

Do Warren Buffet and Bill Gates buy their own razor blades?

Sooo... Do you, or DH use razor or shaver or lead the way to the coming bearded revolution?

Estimates are that 2 Billion blades are discarded each year in the U.S.

How many blades are best (in a single razor head)... 1? 2? 3? 4? 5? more?

How many shaves/blade?

In an attempt at revolt, have pruchased a package of 20 disposable "Personna" twin bladers at Big Lots.... for $1.90. Aside from occasional nicks (cost of toilet paper blood clotters has to be added to cost)... they offer a pretty close shave.

Maybe this doesn't belong here, but after that GREAT response to the dental floss thread, am thinking that this part of personal hygiene deserves some discussion.

Am wondering how my avatar would look with a beard.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2012, 09:53 AM   #2
Administrator

I've used an electric razor for many years.

In 2010 I forgot to take it on a 5 week vacation. I bought a pack of Bic disposable razors and they produced plenty of nicks and cuts and soreness. I assumed it was because I wasn't used to blades as they situation did improve over the 5 weeks, but I was sure glad to get back to my electric razor.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:06 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
This is a test of age and memory.

Do you remember Howard Cosell... The Friday Night Fights... Jim McKay... The Wide World of Sports... and the lead-in commercials?...

.................................................. ...............................................
Yesterday, I returned to WalMart for replacement blades for my Pro-Glide 5... or Gillette fusion or whatever... doesn't matter... Teeth gritted to have to pay $4 for a few lousy blades... Aaargh!... No More...
I passed the test of age and memory.

However, I must disagree with you re: "a few lousy blades." The Gillette blades are not lousy, they are great--and they do seem to last a long time. And, while I am shocked by the price of them, I wouldn't consider using anything else. (I think these blades might be the reason I keep on working).
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:15 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Nicks became a thing of the past when I switched to the multi-blade razors of average quality. I like my blood inside my body.
devans0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:15 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

On the memory test - yes, no, yes and yes.

I use Gillette Fusion Power (uses a AAA battery and vibrates slightly which allegedly makes for a better shave). 5 blades on one side and a single blade for trimming on the other side. Works good and lasts long (but now that i'm retired I only shave a couple times a week). But I do croak each time I have to buy a new pack of blades.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:29 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I mostly use a straight razor and the one blade will last a lifetime if properly maintained. If I am in a hurry, I sometimes use a safety razor. A pack of 10 blades will set me back $5 on Amazon (about 5-6 shaves per blade).
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:48 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Sooo... Do you, or DH use razor or shaver or lead the way to the coming bearded revolution?
Maybe it's not the blade(s). What kind of shaving soap are you using?

Frugality after financial independence | Military Retirement & Financial Independence

I've been using the same Gillette Atra razor for over three decades. Blades are getting a bit difficult to find, though.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:00 AM   #8

Used to be ultra-frugal and would use the double-bladed disposable type (generic), and would make each razor last about 2-3 months.

These days, in my extravagant youth, I buy the 3-blade refillable Gillette Mach 3 Turbo heads, and make each head last about 3 months. So I only buy a 6 pack of refillable heads every 15 months or so.

Every few years, Gillette and their competitors seem to come out with the 'next best thing', and the older generation (and fewer blade) heads each drop their price a bit. In another product generation, I might upgrade to the 4-blade heads when their price drops down to roughly what the 3-blade heads are currently at.

I will say that the Gillette refillable heads do appear to have a closer shave compared to the plastic disposable razors...although I have the type of facial hair that requires me to shave 'against the grain', starting at my chin and shaving up to the top of my head, in order to have a true close shave that doesn't leave my face shaved, but enough hairs barely there that look like I haven't shaved.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:35 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Considerably fewer "knee nicks" since I started using the 5-bladed razors.

Is it my imagination, or does the blade that comes with the razor handle last longer than the spare blades? It just always seems that way.

Oh- the memory test? No, I don't remember the ad.

A.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:38 AM   #10

I've used a Norelco 3-head rotary shaver for decades. They give a decent shave, but my main reason is simply that they are the quietest brand I've ever found. That means a lot to me at that time of the morning!

I replace the three cutter heads every year around my birthday, and replace the shaver every 5 or 6 years, or when the battery charge doesn't last very long.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:49 AM   #11

Has anyone tried using shaving oil instead of soap or shaving cream? I've often wondered if this product performs as advertised? shaving oil, smooth shave, shaving products, oil for shaving, best shave, shave face

Wiki even has a shaving oil entry Shaving oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:56 AM   #12

I passed the age and memory test.

I use Gillette disposable razors. They are the only brand that does not cut my skin - even the more expensive ones will nick me occasionally. I actually used to use an electric razor but found they irritated my skin more than a blade.
David1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:01 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Has anyone tried using shaving oil instead of soap or shaving cream? I've often wondered if this product performs as advertised? shaving oil, smooth shave, shaving products, oil for shaving, best shave, shave face

Wiki even has a shaving oil entry Shaving oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I use shaving oil underneath my shaving soap when I use a straight razor. It makes the razor glide for a more comfortable shave (less pulling and fewer nicks).
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:28 PM   #14

What's a razor?
Tyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:58 PM   #15

Oh those ads are familiar!

Grow a beard, I did back in the mid 70's and still have it. I buy disposable razors with 2 blades per cartridge when they are B1G1F. I shave my neck and cheek bones, I use it until it isn't doing a good job about 2 or 3 weeks. My beard is fairly heavy and grows fairly fast but I only shave every 2nd or 3rd day, by day 3 the stubble is long enough to be annoying. I never nick or cut myself. I use a shaving mug with a soap cake and a brush. Nice shave.
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:12 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I use a Sensor Excel (2 blades) and swap the cartridge every 2 weeks. I swear by Aveeno shaving gel - so smooth it almost makes me shave my legs too

I finish up with moisturizer w/sunscreen.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:56 PM   #17

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...Blade-keeping/

I have also seen and successfully used my forearm (the smooth side) as a strop. Definitely extends the life of the blade. AS does drying them out with a blow dryer. Not sure how the electricity costs are offset by the savings there.
urn2bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:37 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

$29.95 Remington rechargeable, with a

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:25 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I've used a Norelco 3-head rotary shaver for decades. They give a decent shave, but my main reason is simply that they are the quietest brand I've ever found. That means a lot to me at that time of the morning!
+1. About every 3 weeks I will use my Gillette 3 bladed razor to attack those pesky hairs on my neck that lay flat and are not easily removed with the electric razor. The Gillette blades last about 30/40 cuts so are good for about 2 years.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:28 PM   #20

Do you remember the idea that putting razor blades under a pyramid would keep them sharp? It works! (provided you leave them under the pyramid and never use them)
Brett_Cameron is offline   Reply With Quote