Join Early Retirement Today

RCA Cable broken IN new TV!!
Old 02-23-2009, 07:28 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

RCA Cable broken IN new TV!!

Well, my son broke the RCA cables that go to the DVD player. There are 2 sets of RCA inputs, but one hasnt worked since day one (Sony tube TV, 4 yrs old). Well, now the yellow rca broke IN the female input area. So the prong broke flush in there

Any way to get this out without completely disassembling the TV, which I assume could result in a lot of swearing

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2009, 08:07 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post

Any way to get this out without completely disassembling the TV, which I assume could result in a lot of swearing
Er, um, ah, no. Usually they are soldered to the cricuit board and stick out through the cabinet. Though some are mounted to the cabinet and the wired to the circuit board.
In either case, need new RCA jacks from RadioTrash (shack). Get your soldering iron ready. And say a lot of hail Marys and our Fathers.
Else haul it to same repair shop.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:43 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

thefed,

Usually the rca connection going into the tv is hollow center pin portion that mates with the tv's rca female connection. I have found that a very small precision screwdriver (Kronus™ 6-Piece Precision Slotted Screwdriver Set) or equivelent from Radio Shack or an electronics store that you can work into the center of the embedded pin can give you enough of a hold to extract the broken center pin. If you can't wedge the screwdriver into the hole you might consider a very small drill bit to open up the possibly crimped end of the connector. I don't think you will have to resort to getting out the soldering iron. I would make that the very last resort.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:28 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I agree with smileydog, you should be able to work it out. It might help to find (or buy) an RCA socket, just so you can get a good idea how it goes together. That center pin is just friction fit, it should come out fairly easy. I'm betting on a small drill bit to catch it and pull it out (like an EZ-out or a cork-screw).

-ERD50
Old 02-24-2009, 10:02 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

If you can't work it free with tweezers, pins, nails, etc, the next step would be to put a small drill bit in your drill, and carefully drill into the broken off pin. The bit will probably get stuck in the pin, and it will spin and come out with the bit. If not, you'll have a hole to use to help you grab it.

How did it break in there?
Old 02-24-2009, 10:06 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Don't forget how sweet your boys look when they're sleeping
Old 02-24-2009, 10:53 AM   #7

Well, I found an easy solution. I tried to plug everything into the other set of jacks previously dubbed "broken" by my wife and to my surprise, they work just fine. So fo now, I'm going to let it be! I tried pushing it thru with no luck, as well as supergluing a q-tip and also the end of the pin that broke off to the offending piece...and neither worked out.

But, who cares! As long as my little guy does go yankin on any cords, i should be set!

thanks guys!!!
Old 02-24-2009, 11:13 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I would not try to push it through. If you succeed, you will have a little piece of metal floating around inside your TV.

Murphy says that piece of metal will find its way into the place where it can do the most damage.

I was skeptical when I read that the other inputs were "broken". Operator error was far more likely.

Glad it's working for you, but we really needed you to buy a new big screen TV to boost the economy!

-ERD50
Old 02-24-2009, 11:15 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, now the yellow rca broke IN the female input area. So the prong broke flush in there
This is an important lesson that will greatly benefit your son in later years.