Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-15-2015, 01:35 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Is this done 'while you wait', or do they send them out? Turnaround time in that case?

-ERD50
For me, it was several days for a simple near-sighted prescription. But I don't remember exactly how long.
__________________

__________________
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2015, 09:35 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
38Chevy454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Is this done 'while you wait', or do they send them out? Turnaround time in that case?

-ERD50
The Costco here sends the frames out to get lenses fitted. The frame fitting and adjustments are done in-store.
__________________

__________________
After Monday & Tuesday even the calendar says, W-T-F...

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:02 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 422
I haven't re-lensed glasses. I have purchased outright from Zenni Optical and have been very happy. Downside is the time to receive the glasses and having to fit the frames myself. That latter was no issues at all.
__________________
CRLLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 02:59 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
braumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 8,599
This thread reminded me of a good deal I had forgotten about.

DW needed a new pair of glasses in a hurry earlier this year, so she went to the local Lenscrafters. Before going, we scoured the house and came up with ten pairs of old glasses that she gave them as a donation. They were all progressive bifocals in various old prescriptions, and all in pretty good frames.

Much to our surprise, they gave her a receipt for tax purposes that valued them at a total of $600.
__________________
braumeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 05:07 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 16,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
This thread reminded me of a good deal I had forgotten about.

DW needed a new pair of glasses in a hurry earlier this year, so she went to the local Lenscrafters. Before going, we scoured the house and came up with ten pairs of old glasses that she gave them as a donation. They were all progressive bifocals in various old prescriptions, and all in pretty good frames.

Much to our surprise, they gave her a receipt for tax purposes that valued them at a total of $600.
Wow - great tip!
__________________
Well, I thought I was retired. But it seems that now I'm working as a travel agent instead!
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 06:57 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
Costco charges $18 to use your old frames.
$18 for Costco to use old frames!
Did you have to make any special deal to get that price?

We're in the same boat as the OP and asked our optometrist how much they'd charge to put new lenses in the old Titanium frames (which they sold to us claiming that they would last forever) and they wanted about $800 to put new lenses in two pairs of glasses.

Smelled like robbery to us, so we called the local Costco in STL and the person on the phone told us they don't put new lenses in the customer's old frames at any price. Did we ask the wrong questions or something?

We'd really like to take advantage of the deal at cost of lenses plus an add'l fee of $18 (they did quote us a price on lenses and it seemed quite reasonable).
__________________
Corporate ORphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:10 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporate ORphan View Post
$18 for Costco to use old frames!
Did you have to make any special deal to get that price?

We're in the same boat as the OP and asked our optometrist how much they'd charge to put new lenses in the old Titanium frames (which they sold to us claiming that they would last forever) and they wanted about $800 to put new lenses in two pairs of glasses.

Smelled like robbery to us, so we called the local Costco in STL and the person on the phone told us they don't put new lenses in the customer's old frames at any price. Did we ask the wrong questions or something?

We'd really like to take advantage of the deal at cost of lenses plus an add'l fee of $18 (they did quote us a price on lenses and it seemed quite reasonable).
The Costco optometry depts. are franchises and yours may not do so. Mine does, however, the frames can't be too 'curved'. My sunglasses were and they wouldn't re-lens those but did my regular glasses. Their lab supposedly makes those rules. Cost about $70 IIRC. All my glasses are titanium and Costco's selection of titanium frames = about 2!
__________________
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 06:51 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Sunset's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,726
Our eye doc (I don't know if he is Optometrist or Ophthalmologist) ordered new lenses for me once for my existing glasses, so I didn't have to buy new frames.
No extra charge.
Of course these are the same frames he sold me a year earlier, so they were not "out of date".

Decent fellow I guess.
__________________
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:12 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 121
I re-lens with Eyeglass Lens Direct – Progressive Lenses, Transitions Lenses, Crizal Lenses, and more. a few years ago. I sent my existing frame to them and they put on the new lens. There were no issues.
__________________
catotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 04:25 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets
Mo Money's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: .
Posts: 269
Wow, I'm glad I tripped across this thread (a bright spot in a night of insomnia!)

My chi-chi eyeglass shop was doing the hard-sell on new frames. I reminded them that they sold me the German Freudenhaus titanium frames about ten years ago, and told me they would last forever. I disliked their quips that they were out of style; I love them. So I insisted on a scrip and now I can get the frames without the smart aleck salesperson. Yes!
__________________

__________________
“We always may be what we might have been.” -- Adelaide Anne Procter
Mo Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3D Movie Glasses: What do folks do, who wear spectacles? Amethyst Other topics 3 02-03-2010 06:48 PM
Golf and Bi-Focal Glasses ZMAN Health and Early Retirement 12 06-25-2008 11:20 AM
Cheap eye glasses? HobbyDave FIRE and Money 20 12-02-2007 09:30 AM
Tori's glasses laurence Other topics 27 04-15-2006 10:35 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:40 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.